The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 17, 2008, 06:38 AM   #1
jneilson

Cheap scopes on MidwayUSA.com

I was looking on MidwayUSA's website and I saw quite a few sub $100 scopes. I don't know a whole lot about scopes. I've heard to stay away from cheap Tasco, Simmons and Bushnell. I also saw a brand called Brunton, anyone have any experience with them and is Midway a good place to do business with? Also, would a 40mm objective be good for hunting in low light, like in a thick hardwood forest? Thanks
Old June 17, 2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Doyle

I agree with the staying away from Simmons (except the Aetec) and any Tasco or BSA. The midrange and higher Bushnells are ok. The Bushnell Elite series is as good as any scope in its price range. The Trophy series is a very decent midrange scope and can be had for less than $100.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:13 AM   #3
jlchucker

You get what you pay for.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
R.Childs

I bought one of the BSA's a while back just to try. It has turned into a good scope for what I use it for. I have it on a heavy barreled Ruger in 22-250. That equals to very little recoil. It has worked fine on it but I would be scared to death to put it on a heavy recoiling big caliber gun. I doubt it would take it for long.

In my case, this one scope has worked well, but like jlchicker said, you get what you pay for.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:26 AM   #5
bobn

trends in cheap scopes vary throughout the years. at one time weaver had a decent cheap one. then the bushnell banner line. then weaver again. etc.
.....i get tired of funding managements rich lifestyles with hi end stuff.
..... if you just dont have a lot of money the swift line is a heck of a scope. bobn
Old June 17, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
223nut

I have a Simmons Pro Hunter 6-21x44 on a 308 that I have had no problems with but the general rule is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I'm a big fan of the Elite 4200, Just saving money to buy one. Thats why I went with the cheaper scope now. I wanted to be able to shoot. I dont like to wait!
Old June 17, 2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Brunton built a good reputation with surveying equipment; levels and transits. They make a world-class lensatic compass, so precision is nothing new for them.

For hunting, the repeatability of the adjustments of a scope are not all that important. You just sight in, and it's "set it and forget it" until a click or two gets you re-sghted next year. IOW, that's a quality aspect that's unimportant to the average hunter.

A 40mm objective lens has been plenty good for me at daylight and dusk. That includes the "jungle" of the Appalachicola River bottomlands near Blountstown, Florida. For that matter, even my 2x7x32 has been just fine at night, coyote hunting with a flashlight.

Variables are nice, but most of my deer kills have had the scope set on 3X or 4X. I did just as well with my old Weaver K4s. Field of view is more important than magnification on big critters. Prairie dogs? Different story.
Old June 17, 2008, 11:10 AM   #8
jneilson

Thanks for all the replies, ya'll have helped me narrow down my choices.
Old June 17, 2008, 11:20 AM   #9
sholling

Generally there aren't many sub $100 scopes worth the money but it depends a lot on what you are using them for and what you are going to mount them on. People are probably getting tired of this linkage but to me they make a lot of sense. Scope power, and recommended scopes. What they don't cover is serious target shooting which is a whole different world.

Assuming centerfire hunting/plinking your best bargains are going to be found on the clearance racks. Natchez Shooters Supply has the discontinued Bushnell made Browning 2-7x32 for $125 and 3-9x40 for $130 while they last. A step up would be SWFA's clearance of Nikon's private label branded Team Primos (rumored to be last year's Monarch UCC) 3-9x40 for $200 or the outstanding (but replaced by a new 3-10x40) Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 on clearance for $250. In the long run you'll be happier buying quality.
Old June 17, 2008, 12:30 PM   #10
blume357

I think part of the equation should be .... what are you putting the scope on?

you really shouldn't put a $50 scope on a 500 dollar rifle any more than put a $500 scope on a $50 dollar one.

I've found the cheap scopes work pretty dern good on 22s... probably because there is practically no recoil to effect the optics inside. I suspect you put one of those cheap scopes on a 'real' rifle 3-06 or 700 magnum and you are in for trouble.
Old June 17, 2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Sportdog

+1 Simmons Scopes

I have two Simmons Pro Hunters, one on a 30-06 and the other on a 7mmWSM. I have three Simmons Whitetail Classics, one on a 30-06, one on an 8mmMauser, and one on a 243. None of these scopes has yet to fail me and they seem pretty darn bright to me. I do admit that I am a hunter and not a target shooter so I don't put a tremendous amount of ammo through any of these rifles. Once they are sighted in and I have developed an acceptable hunting load/bullet combination, usually less than 100 rounds, I only shoot them for fun now and then or to check load and zero before hunting season and hopefully during hunting season! I will be purchasing a new either Leupold Vari-X II or a Burris Fullfield II for my upcoming fall bear hunt. I've always wanted a Leupold but have heard many great comments on the Burris for it's light clarity. I almost hope that I don't like it so much better than my Simmons scopes that I'll feel the need to replace them!:barf:
Old June 17, 2008, 10:53 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Cabelas brand scopes. I am not a huge fan of Cabelas in general but after comparing their scopes to the competition, dollar for dollar they blow it out of the water.
All American Man set up-
Savage rifle, Cabela's optics, Toyota Tundra
(pulls fire blanket over body and curls up in the corner.)
Old June 17, 2008, 11:37 PM   #13
X Poacher

Sportsmansguide.com

I buy a lot of my stuff from this website. They have a good selection of scopes and ammo sometimes.

www.sportsmansguide.com
Old June 18, 2008, 02:37 AM   #14
Dallas Jack

I've owned many of the budget scopes Busnell, Tasco, Simmons ect... For the most part they worked OK once you sighted them in. No they weren't as bright or as clear as better scopes but they would do. I've also had Leuplold, Burris, Nikon, and Weaver. For outright quality (brightness, clarity, repeatability) I would rank them Leupold 1st followed by Nikon, Weaver, and Burris. And on a side note there is little difference between 1st thru 4th place in quality, brightness, clarity, and repeatablity.

IMHO, when you compare the four considering cost as a variable the ranking changes. Weaver 1st, followed by Nikon, Burris, and Leupold.

I've just rescoped all my rifles and I ended up with 4 Weavers and 1 Nikon and I am very pleased with my choices. If cost were not an issue I would most likely have Leupolds on all my rifles.

To sum it up the sub $100.00 scopes are OK for using at the range but I wouldn't risk a hunt on one.
YMMV
Old June 18, 2008, 08:45 AM   #15
jneilson

The scope's going on my Remington 7400 30/06. It can shoot under 2" at 100 yards. In the woods where I hunt a 50 yard shot would be a long except for a few clearings of a couple hundred yards. A local Walmart has a Leupold Rifleman 2x7 for $93. Should I be leaving now to get it?
Old June 18, 2008, 08:56 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like a good price on that Rifleman. I still say you'd be well served by a K4 or equivalent for the hunting you've described. Heck, even a K2.5, if they still make them. The 2x7 would definitely have a wide field of view, which is important at shorter distances.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:58 AM   #17
sholling

You might want to check out the closeout/discontinued Bushnell/Browning 2-7x 32 that Natchez Shooters Supply is closing out for $125. They claim that it's essentially the Bushnell Elite 3200 minus rainguard. I bought one but haven't mounted it yet. The only downside I can see is who would you go to if there were warranty issues in 4-5 years? I assume Browning. Otherwise it seems like a good little scope.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...82732M&src=sim
Old June 18, 2008, 11:38 AM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

IMO, for a heavy cover hunting scope, for a 30-06... look at the shotgun scopes... nothing over 4X if looking at a straight power... but a 1x or 2x would be my preference... I have a 1.5 X 5 varaiable that I like...you might also want to look at one of the red dot scopes... they sight up fast, with both eyes open...

BTW... I've had very good luck with the Cabela's scopes, & Cabela's will stand behind them

this is my favorite Alaskan Guide Series ( Cabelas ) scope... BTW... this is a light weight custom 50 A.E. lever action, so the scope handles the recoil just fine...

Old June 18, 2008, 12:11 PM   #19
thinkingman

You will be much better off in the long run to spend $200 and buy a Burris FFII or Nikon Team Primos.
Much better glass and construction and no fear of failure at a critical time.
I would not buy the Leupold Rifleman just because the glass and coatings are lame and too many stories about Leupold scopes that had to experience that legendary customer service.
I buy things that work when they need to.
I own Nikon and Burris.
Try SWFA.com.
Good people, great deals.

Tags
low light , midwayusa , objective , scopes