The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2017, 02:08 PM   #1
rshaw

Any decent all steel precision 9 mm semi-auto's out there?

Hi all,

While my main interest lies in WWI and WWII military pistols, I also like target shooting with a Smith Model 41.

I would be interested in your opinions concerning precision 9 mm target pistols.... if there is such a thing...

Last edited by rshaw; September 15, 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
JMag1

Sig P210...preferably of original origin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

The Sig is arguably the most accurate 9mm on the market and the CZ is right behind it for accuracy. I bought the CZ because it cost a lot less than the Sig and it felt better in my hand. I mostly shoot revolvers so most autos don't feel right but the CZ felt like an old friend. 1" groups, slow fire at 25 yards is about as good as I can do whether it is my Ruger 357, 45 or the CZ 9mm.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:26 PM   #4
laytonj1

S&W model 952... if you can find one and are ready to pay the entry fee.

Jim

Quote:
and the CZ is right behind it for accuracy
Which model?
Old September 15, 2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

I've been very please with my CZ75 SP01.

All steel and accurate.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:35 PM   #6
JWT

The guy I shoot with just got a CZ Rami to carry and finds it very accurate. The CZ 75 line gets good accuracy reviews.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:36 PM   #7
saleen322

The S&W 952 was built to be a target pistol. Not cheap but buy once, cry once and you will forget about the price after you shoot it.
Old September 15, 2017, 02:49 PM   #8
rshaw

1" groups at 25 yeards is remarkable!!
I'll have to look into these suggestions..... Thank you..
Old September 15, 2017, 04:35 PM   #9
ritepath

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns?f_caliber_filter[0]=87&f_capacity_filter[0]=&f_capacity_filter[1]=&f_bbl_filter[0]=&f_bbl_filter[1]=&f_oal_filter[0]=&f_oal_filter[1]=&cm=0#tlb

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/h...tion-handguns/
Old September 15, 2017, 09:35 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Baer and SA have PPC 9mm 1911oids that qualify.
SIG X 5 is good.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:47 PM   #11
sigarms228

SIG P226 X5 but they are difficult to find new and the older German X-5s have been skyrocketing in price on the used market but they are extremely accurate pistols. I believe SIG claimed they were 2 inch accurate at 50 yards.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/691298830
Old September 15, 2017, 11:37 PM   #12
rshaw

Beautiful guns!!
Perhaps the motivation behind my question is an attempt to shoot better in competition with one hand (dominant right for me)
Recoil of my WWII steel semi auto is quite a lot with Winchester white box 115 gr. I'm using the lightest loads I can find to spare the gun, but I think recoil is giving me problems. Most You Tube videos show two handed shooting-
What can I reasonably expect when shooting one handed a standard velocity 115 or 124 gr 9 x 19 mm FMJRN?
Thanks to all for your suggestions!
Old September 16, 2017, 12:36 AM   #13
makarov

It really depends on what you want to spend. I've been very happy with my CZ-85 Combat. Adjustable sights, nice blued finish. Very good accuracy. CZ also makes some competition models with single action triggers. There are also some 9mm 1911 models that might fit the bill.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:40 AM   #14
rshaw

Have always liked the 1911....and I have fired a CZ 75.... which was not bad
Is it possible to shoot, let's say, 3-4 inch groups using standard 115 or 124 gr. 9x19 mm ammo at 25 yards / meters, standing, with one hand?
Old September 16, 2017, 01:47 AM   #15
rock185

Hello rshaw, my S&W 952 and 952-1 were excellent pistols. The FN/Browning GP Comp is very accurate, but does not have a trigger equal to some other 9MM target pistols. I found the SIG X-5 to be excellent. Some quality 9MM 1911s exhibit excellent reliability, accuracy and trigger quality, and are available in a near endless number of variations. Within my humble experience, the production Dan Wessons, STIs and more expensive semi-customs,e.g., Baer,etc. might be worthy of consideration. The SIG P210s, German or Swiss, are excellent pistols, and always a good bet IMHO. I admit I'm a bit biased toward the P210 series. Their barrel/slide/frame fit, trigger quality, reliability,durability and accuracy are among the best available. The pistols I've mentioned are all capable of 3-4" groups at 25 yards with 115 or 124 grain ammo if you are. I admit that I cannot do this one-handed at 25, but that is not the pistols' fault
Old September 16, 2017, 02:16 AM   #16
rshaw

Thank you rock185!
Very helpful
It makes me feel better when you admit you cannot shoot such small groups one-handed at 25 yards. I don't think it's my guns, but my results are not good at all!! I really hope it's my technique rather than the fault of the firearm. (I can hold my own in a competition with 22 target work, but then recoil is minimal.)
I appreciate everyone's feedback!
I have a 9 mm competition today.... we shall see...
Old September 16, 2017, 03:08 AM   #17
marine6680

CZs are great pistols. They shoot well, and I find them accurate.

The basic models are reasonable in price, for a well made all steel pistol, at $500-600. The triggers on them are not the greatest out of the box usually, but they smooth out pretty nicely after a few hundred rounds. Swapping the hammer spring for one a little lighter is a cheap easy way to improve the trigger pull.

There are companies, like Cajun Gun Works, that specialize in gunsmith tuning and custom parts to improve the triggers as well. I hear nothing but good things, with some stupidly light trigger pulls available if you want a target pistol.

Move into the competition ready stuff, and you spend about double, but you get a very smooth pistol for that money, with a nice trigger. Their SAO versions have some very nice out of the box triggers. Fit and finish on them is better as well, which likely results in better accuracy over the already accurate standard models. Plus they get upgraded grips, and I believe a couple more mags in the box than the standard models.

The Shadow II is very nice, its not the highest end of their models, but I think it hits a good ratio of performance and cost.

The EAA Witness is a CZ clone, and they are a little cheaper than a CZ, with the competition versions being a few hundred cheaper.

They are nice, but they are not 100% parts compatible, so aftermarket may not be the best with them.

There are other all steel 9mm pistols out there, many are mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by marine6680; September 16, 2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old September 16, 2017, 04:20 AM   #18
rshaw

Ahh thank you!
I have also heard positive feedback re. CZ, and have fired a CZ 75....
Should look into those s bit more...
Thanks a lot
Old September 16, 2017, 07:55 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

My bone stock CZ 76B SA is by far my most reliable and accurate 9mm. The only change I'm going to make is adding the Cajun Gunworks race hammer kit with the adjustable sear. Once I do that, if I like it I'll leave it. If I want to take it a step further I'll add a trigger in the future, but I don't think it will be necessary. Now, I don't believe it's an all steel gun, but has an alloy frame.
Old September 16, 2017, 08:14 AM   #20
Nathan

I'm going to + 75 the CZ 75. There are many versions and custom shop is an option. An SAO model without firing pin safety will likely do you best.

...or, for a real precision 9mm, I would look at the Tactical Sports models.
Old September 16, 2017, 08:51 AM   #21
ammo.crafter

HP

Browning Hi-Power if you can still get them.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:55 AM   #22
bac1023

Quote:
Browning Hi-Power if you can still get them.
I love the Browning Hi Power, but it's far from a precision 9mm target pistol that the OP asked about.

The Browning GP Competition variant would be a good option. I find mine quite accurate.

Last edited by bac1023; September 16, 2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:50 AM   #23
HighValleyRanch

Some bullseye shooters use the Beretta 92 as the base for their custom bullseye 9mm centerfire guns. See this article:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=426755

I shot at one match, and this one young guy was shooting a Beretta 92 and every target was a ragged hole at the 50 ft. indoor range. Of course he was the winner of the match. I don't remember his name, but he resided at the Olympic training center in Colorodo, so yeah, he was good!
Old September 16, 2017, 12:03 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...if there is such a thing..." Nope. At least not for bullseye shooting. No match grade 9mm bullets either. Lot of 9mm pistols suitable for the shooting games though. Try 'em on for size first. A CZ is a BHP clone, but it's not the same size.
"...Browning Hi-Power if you can still get them..." Pop over to Browning's site and search for the High Power 'Current Production'. Only the 40 S&W BHP has been discontinued.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:04 PM   #25
bac1023

Quote:
"...if there is such a thing..." Nope. At least not for bullseye shooting. No match grade 9mm bullets either. Lot of 9mm pistols suitable for the shooting games though. Try 'em on for size first. A CZ is a BHP clone, but it's not the same size.
"...Browning Hi-Power if you can still get them..." Pop over to Browning's site and search for the High Power 'Current Production'. Only the 40 S&W BHP has been discontinued.

The CZ 75 is no BHP clone. Far from it...