The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
clemsonal

MAGTECH Brass

I've noticed that the headstamps on the Magtech brass seem to become illegible faster than others. I don't load max. loads and haven't seen any signs of high pressure on any of my mixed brass, it's just getting harder to read their brass. They load well and their factory ammo shoots well. I'm thinking their stamp might not go as deep as others, and wears off faster. Has anyone else noticed this, and do you retire illegible brass or keep loading until you see other negative signs?
Old April 4, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

The only Magtech/CBC brass I have that is showing wear on the head stamp is 9x19mm. However, it's going on 8-9 reloads in my hands, and was unknown-times-fired when I picked it up.

Some firearms chew brass up faster than others. Some head stamps aren't as deep. Some manufacturers use fewer steps in the drawing process, which results in softer brass (*cough* A-Merc *cough*). Sometimes, it's just a bad lot of brass.

I've never noticed a recurring issue with Magtech/CBC.

As for wear...
I reload until brass reaches the end of its usable life. I track brass by lot, and by container (50 round box, 20 round box, etc). So, even if the head stamp was obliterated, I would still know what it was.
Old April 4, 2011, 03:07 PM   #3
moxie

Magtech/CBC brass is top quality.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old April 4, 2011, 10:26 PM   #4
bluetopper

The 38 Magtech brass I keep is top quality after I weed the ones out that are too large for my shellholder.

And their thin 44 Mag brass I have to keep seperate from other makes so I can adjust my dies accordingly to keep from having loose bullets.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:23 AM   #5
jbrown13

I find CBC brass to be inconsistent in 9x19 and 38 Special at best. Consequently I discard all CBC brass since other, more predictable, headstamps are readily available to me.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Sevens

I use quite an array of different headstamps and in many calibers so I'm to the point where I have an opinion on most of them.

CBC/Magtech brass is decent brass, IMO, but it's a little thick. This is noticed most on case mouth flaring and crimping operations.

Magtech brass is at the opposite end of the spectrum from R-P brass.

Can't tell you if it's "better" than other brass, but it is thicker in the case mouth. It works for me.