The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2009, 06:03 AM   #1
bro2

45acp 3 or 4 die set?

Hi, My first time reloading 45acp do i need the 3 die sets or do I get a 4 die set with the crimp die?
Old April 30, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Sevens

What kind of bullets do you hope to load? It's been my experience that when loading cast lead bullets, it gives better results to seat and crimp in two different steps. I don't use a Lee FCD to crimp, I simply use a separate taper crimp die. You can also split the steps by adjusting your seat/crimp die from the 3-die set to seat the bullet ONLY, then re-adjust to crimp ONLY.

You might find with jacketed bullets that you don't need to split the seat/crimp step.

I have never used a Lee carbide factory crimp die, so I've never felt the need for one. Others have good luck with them.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:45 AM   #3
howlnmad

I too crimp in a seperate step but I do use a Lee FCD, you can't over crimp or buckle the case. Just my preference.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
win308

Seperate crimp die is necessary for 45 auto...especially if using mixed brass which has slightly different thickness of case walls for each piece.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Alleykat

I DO use the Lee FCD, so I feel qualified to offer my recommendation that the OP use one. I load on a Dillon 650, and I use Lee dies and a Lee FCD for every straightwall handgun round that I load.

I rarely feel the sizing ring in the FCD doing any sizing, but I do prefer the method of adjusting the crimp on the FCD.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6
tiberius10721

heres my story about lee fcd.I had been reloading 38 special for a few years and Im the type of reloader that just picks up brass at the indoor range and reloads it especially 38 brass.One day Im reloading 38 special and notice my reloads dont fit properly in my revolvers cylinder.I noticed it was only the cbc 38 special brass that was buckling so bad it wouldnt fit in my guns cylinder without me forcing it in.the the lee factory crimp die totally took care of this problem.Now for pistol ammunition I order the four set dies with the lee fcd instead of the three die sets.i started loading 45 acp a few months ago with the lee four die set and havent had a single problem!
Old April 30, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
howlnmad

I use mostly rcbs dies but pick-up the lee fcd seperately. I like the heavier construction on the rcbs and don't like the lock rings with the o-ring. Just my opinion.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:34 PM   #8
rjrivero

I'm using a Dillon Progressive and the Dillon Carbide 3 die set. I load 9mm, 45ACP and 38 Special for my pistol needs and have never had any issues with the taper crimp die from Dillon. That includes wad cutters, semi-wad cutters, and ball ammo. I load cast bullets for summer outdoor shooting, and Rainier Leadsafe for indoor shooting.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:44 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I agree with sevens. For jacketed bullets a 3 die set is fine. Cast lead bullets tend to swage or even shave when seating and crimping in one stage. I have found my 3 die set to sometimes shave the bullet a little...and sometimes it just shaves off the lube at the end of the ram stroke.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 30, 2009, 01:08 PM   #10
benzuncle

Bro, if you purchase the FCD you will always have it should you desire to use it. The one-time cost will not break your bank. Right now, things are kind of crazy; people are having trouble finding the items they need for loading. If you have a line on a FCD, consider purchasing it while it's available. It won't get stale or mouldy from not being used.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:20 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Hi, My first time reloading 45acp do i need the 3 die sets or do I get a 4 die set with the crimp die?
bro2 is offline Report Post
The seating die has crimping built in. Adjusted per the manufacturer's directions, it will crimp just fine.

If you've got a progressive, I'd think about getting a separate crimp die.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 30, 2009, 02:35 PM   #12
DesperadoRod

In all auto pistol cases and 30 Carbine I use 4 die set.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Doodlebugger45

I just started reloading a few months ago. I wish I could find 4-die sets. As it was, I had to look around a good bit to find a 3-die set for my 45 Colt. The 357 was easier to find the 3 die set. And I can't find a separate crimp die anywhere for either. But I sure wish I had them. I'm trying to do roll crimps on both revolver rounds and am having trouble doing it consistently with the combo seating/crimping die.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Russ5924

I have never used any but the Lee four die set. Us them in my Dillon 550 and and Lee Turret press. I load .45acp, .45 Colt, 9MM. .38/357 and just started loading .44mag