The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
dirkk

Um, should I save my CCI Brass?

I bought a Ruger GP100 this year and have put about 400 rounds through it so far. I usually buy CCI Blazer Brass .38 spl because it's ... well ... cheap. I've been saving my brass because I hope to learn and get into reloading this year also. I feel it would reduce shooting cost and be a relaxing hobby IMO. Since I'm new to this, I wondered, is the brass I save from the CCI ammo quality? I mean, it's pretty cheap ammo. Does it matter? Is brass just brass? Any thoughts from some of you relading veterans?
Old March 31, 2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Dondor

if its once fired brass that you shot.. brass.. yes..

aluminum.. no

steel.. no
Old March 31, 2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Rimrod

The Aluminum cased Blazer cases are marked "NR" on the headstamp for Not Reloadable. Also if you look inside the case and see two flash holes instead of one it is not intended for reloading. (this applies only to CCI ammo)
Old April 1, 2007, 02:17 AM   #4
knightkrawler00

The only problem that I have with the CCI brass, in 45ACP, is that the primer pockets are pretty tight. A couple turns with a deburring tool solves that problem.
Old April 1, 2007, 10:19 AM   #5
cheygriz

Tight primer pockets are good! Especially in autos!

Tight pocket make brass last long time! Me like! Me got "TIGHT" pants pockets!!
Old April 1, 2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Edward429451

LOL

CCI brass is good. Save everything, even brass for calibers that you don't load for. Someone will need it someday and you'll make trades for stuff you do need...ask me how I know.
Old April 1, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
swmike

I just reloaded some CCI brass in 9mm recently. It was as good as any I have ever loaded. No issues.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 1, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
dirkk

Thanks for the responses. I'll continue to save it up. We have a small shed on a concrete foundation on our property. I hope to convert it to my 'reloading' shack eventually.
Old April 1, 2007, 11:35 PM   #9
bob k

Be careful

You start saving all the brass you come across thinking you'll use it for trading stock. What really happens is you'll wind up buying firearms to use the brass in, the DTI will plummet and your whole world will fall apart.
Old April 1, 2007, 11:41 PM   #10
Edward429451

Tell me about it.

I have a lot of 41 Mag brass, as well as, 45 Colt. Too make matters worse, I had the dies and moulds bequeathed to me too....and no gun for either.
Old April 2, 2007, 03:32 PM   #11
NavyLT

"The Aluminum cased Blazer cases are marked 'NR' on the headstamp for Not Reloadable. Also if you look inside the case and see two flash holes instead of one it is not intended for reloading. (this applies only to CCI ammo)"

The two flash holes in the bottom of the case means the round was primed with Berdan primers. You can reload them, but it is a speciality and prohibitively expensive. Berdan priming may be found in any caliber and I am pretty sure CCI does not make any ammo that is Berdan primed.

Boxer primed is the type with the one flash hole in the center and is easily reloadable.
Old April 2, 2007, 04:10 PM   #12
Rimrod

"The two flash holes in the bottom of the case means the round was primed with Berdan primers. You can reload them, but it is a speciality and prohibitively expensive. Berdan priming may be found in any caliber and I am pretty sure CCI does not make any ammo that is Berdan primed."

NavyLt,
The aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo IS BERDAN PRIMED. They did this to keep people from trying to reload them. However they can be reloaded with no more cost and very little extra effort over boxer primed cases. I have reloaded them and fired them several times and with each firing the number of ruptured cases grows significantly. If you don't believe it, buy a box of Blazer aluminum cased ammo and shoot them.

The hardest part about reloading berdan primed brass is finding the correct size primer. Normally it is expensive but this is not the case with the CCI Blazers.
Old April 3, 2007, 12:01 AM   #13
DWARREN123

Yes, good brass, not great but good for reloading. Should be no problem with it.
Old April 23, 2007, 01:47 AM   #14
mattgreennra

CCI brass is a little tighter primer wise. I use CCI primers which are a little harder and when I put them into CCI brass (.45 acp) it is a little harder, nothing dangerous though.
If you don't reload them, scrap the bastards.
Old April 23, 2007, 02:30 PM   #15
cheygriz

Quote:
If you don't reload them, scrap the bastards.
If you don't reload them, give them to someone who does!
Old April 24, 2007, 12:27 AM   #16
Crosshair

Quote:
bob k

You start saving all the brass you come across thinking you'll use it for trading stock. What really happens is you'll wind up buying firearms to use the brass in,
*Looks at the Hi-Point 4095 I bought last week, then at the large tub of resized 40 S&W brass, my RCBS hand primer tool and the 3,000 small pistol primers setting next to it, then down to the 1,500 180 grain 40 caliber bullets.*

I have no idea what you are talking about.

/BTW, the CCI brass is junk, carefully package it and send it all to me.
//Especialy 45 Auto brass.
///Seriously though, it is good brass.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:37 AM   #17
mattgreennra

I'll take your .45 acp brass of any kind.

I will...... eat it... yeah, that's it... won't load it at all.
Old April 26, 2007, 03:26 PM   #18
dakotashooter2

The aluminum cases actually work pretty good for WAX or PLASTIC bullets or for making DUMMY rounds for setting up your seating die. in those applications
they are easily distinguished because of their aluminum case. Seems that I have run across blazer ammo that has been primed BOTH ways. Don't recall what calibers but I know I have some boxer primed for wax bullets and I have tossed many a berdan primed case.
Old April 28, 2007, 03:15 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Blazer and Blazer Brass

Blazer brass can be reloaded.

Blazer is aluminium cases, and should not be reloaded. toss them, or save them for recycle scrap metal.