The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Antihero47

New to Reloading - Have some questions...

I intend on reloading 30/06 for myself. I wanted something that is portable and small so that I don't have to worry about taking up too much space in my apartment and bother my roommates. I have saved up about 200-240 once fired brass over my month and a half of owning my rifle.

I was looking at the Lee hand Press. Its small, and portable for the 60-80 rounds that I intend on doing weekly to biweekly. If I'm understanding this correctly, if I bought the Lee Deluxe Rifle Die Set with the Collet then that will full size it and neck size it as well right?

Would it also work to push the bullet into the cartridge and crimp it or would I need a different Die for that? If so, what would I need?

Am I also going to need to get a hand priming tool? If so, will I need to get a separate tool to eject the spent primers.

I know about the case trimmer, the primers, bullets, powder measure, powder, and calipers. Anything else I'm missing?
Old November 29, 2008, 10:42 PM   #2
rwilson452

the first think you need to get before you get anything else is a good reloading manual. there are a number of books recommended here on a regular basis. the ABC's of reloading. it doesn't have data sheets in it but it is real good at teaching the fundamentals. Lyman and lee are a couple of others. if you going to buy lee presses and dies I would suggest you get the Lee book. Don't stop with one I would suggest you get three. If you had read any of these you would know the sizing die also ejects the spent primer. Please don't start reloading until you have done 2 or three laps around the suggested reading material.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:01 PM   #3
tom234

I'd recommend, as a minimum, a single stage or turret press bolted to a 2X8 that you can further C clamp temporarily to a kitchen table. You can do without the hand primer and trimmer until your get up to speed. You'll save $$ by buying a reloading press kit that includes a scale, et al. All you'll need is a 2 die rifle die set; Lee dies will work fine.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
rickdavis81

The deluxe rifle die set has all the dies you need. Full length resizing also sizes the neck and removes the spent primer. You can get a collet die and just size the neck and remove the primer instead of full length sizing. But I'd wait till later to worry about that. If you have a strong computer desk you can mount a single stage press to a board and use clamps to hold it in place. And then remove it when done. My buddy lived in a small apartment and mounted his to his cheap walmart computer desk. I always figured it break but never did. Kitchen tables also work. Lee sells a single stage press kit. You'd need the kit, a set of dies and a trimmer for 30-06. And whatever componets you fancy. And most importantly it contains a reloading manual which you should read atleast 3 times before attempting to reload. It can be dangerous if not done properly. Good luck.
Old November 30, 2008, 01:37 AM   #5
Antihero47

RWilson - Thanks, That was one of the major things that I did not put down but knew that I would need. That would be perfect to get now and when I feel like I have the adequate funds I should be up to speed.

Do you guys think that I should buy a kit?

The LEE DELUXE TURRET PRESS KIT looks pretty good. Although it says that its more of a pistol kit than a Rifle cartridge handler.

Then theres the LEE 50th Anniversary Kit... not sure what to go with.
Old November 30, 2008, 03:33 AM   #6
rickdavis81

I'd go with the 50th anniv. kit. It's what I started with and still use. I switched to a RCBS scale later though.
Old November 30, 2008, 04:23 PM   #7
That'll Do

Lots of good advice in the posts above.

take a look at this thread too: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
Old November 30, 2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Mousegunzzz

Primers have some pretty nasty materials in them and even though they are used, there is still potential for lead.

Do not set up anywhere you eat, or sit for a period of time. Make sure there is good ventilation and clean the area frequently.
Old November 30, 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Antihero47

Thanks Gents,

Just got back from Bass Pro. I've watched tons of How-To's on the net, and went through the instructions on a few of the presses that lee has.

While at Bass I was looking into tumblers, casings, sierra match king projectiles, powders, press kits, dies, media, bullet pullers, shell holders...

I'm just really going to have to find a place to keep it all and set it up.