The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2017, 09:03 AM   #1
DealHunter

22 Mag DA Revolver

Hi folks,

Have the opportunity to pick up a S&W 651 4 inch for a decent price. I've never actually seen one in person before but I like my model 63 which I believe is similar. Already have a Charter Arms 4 inch 22 mag pathfinder and it's a solid gun (used as a companion to 22 mag rifles) though my current smiths seem a step up in fit and finish.

Can anyone weigh in on the 651? I know they don't make them anymore so if they're decent guns I don't want to miss out on this first chance I've had to own one at a price I'd be willing to pay.
Old September 7, 2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I had one, years ago in the 90's. What I found was that the gun was a fine piece. I did have a problem with the rounds. Given the ammo of the times (I don't remember), there was so much unburned powder or residue that after 50 rounds, the cylinder was jammed tight with crap. It took significant amounts of Gunscrupper stuff to free it up. Firing at yards at an indoor range, I would see clouds of residue on the paper target. I was just trying the gun out. It did shoot well at distances but was quite loud!

I wish I kept it as the price as increased (but the money would have done just as well in investments).

I guess my bottom line is that I didn't have use for it and sold it. Too bad you couldn't shoot 22 LR in it for blinking. There was a change out cylinder but I didn't get one.

But as a companion to your rifle and you clean it - sure go for it.
Old September 7, 2017, 09:37 AM   #3
BubbaBlades

My experience with the S&W 651 is the same as Glenn's except I still have mine.

The 651 and 63 are the same except the 651 makes more noise.

I also had a S&W model 650 .22 magnum (3" fixed sight). I sold that one because I got a great price and the 650 had the fired cases stick in the cylinder more than the 651.

If you can get a 651 a good price, go for it.
Old September 7, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Too bad you couldn't shoot 22 LR in it for blinking. There was a change out cylinder but I didn't get one.
I would think the .22 Magnum would be more likely than .22 LR to induce blinking, but that's just me.

There is a lower-power alternative to .22 Magnum that will work in the 651: .22 Winchester Rimfire (a.k.a. .22 WRF), which is the parent cartridge of the .22 Magnum. It's not going to be available in any Wal-Mart, but it can be found on-line, and I've bought it off the shelf at Cabela's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Rimfire

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; September 7, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Obambulate

I think if you can get it at a decent price it will be hard to lose money on it. They tend to sell for 1000+ in good condition.
Old September 9, 2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Sudo

I have a 650 and like it. The noise everyone talks about wasn't an issue for me with good ear protectors.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:49 PM   #7
DealHunter

Thanks all, I went ahead and picked it up, I think it's late 80 or early 90s with the older cylinder release and the chromed hammer/trigger. Everything is really tight so either they're really well built or it wasn't used much.

Thanks again for the info/advice!
Old September 14, 2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Stainz

When .22 LR ammo was readily available, like WallyWorld's Federal 550 packs @~$15, I did a nastifying test on my 10 shot 4" 617 - and later, my 8-shot 3" 63. In a month of at least weekly range trips, I sent a whole bulk box downrange from the 617 and later, >300 rounds from the 63, before I lost interest... and cleaned them. I know... vanity! The ammo is rifle ammo - but has a copper wash instead of lubed lead - it doesn't produce much residue or smoke. The CCI "Stingers" come in boxes of fifty - and would not reload in either my 617 or 63 after ~30 rounds from a cleaning - nasty ammo in short barrels!

My 4" 651, a 'bucket list' item I bought LNIB from a dealer 11/11, is a keeper for sure. CCI MaxiMags RN & HP (40gr) are loud and illuminating, but I can send a 50 rd box or two downrange between cleanings with no feed problems - that's about all I could afford! I never shoot many of the other main .22 WMR ammo I have - Hornady 45 gr Critical Defense FTX due to it's scarcity. All of the .22 WMR ammo I've shot from the 651 has been loud and illuminating - more so from my CCW, a 351PD. It reminded me of shooting .30 Carbine ammo from a Ruger Blackhawk - loud, flashy, and no recoil (... and expensive and hard to find!). Still - a neat revolver, the 651 (and the 7-shot 351PD) - just accept the stiffer DA trigger as a fact of life (Lighter hammer springs will bring on ftf's - the thicker .22 WMR case and rim require a harder hit to fire the primer.). The 651 is a fun .22 WMR handgun, unlike the jam-o-matic KelTec PMR-30 I bought... but then, I love revolvers.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:49 AM   #9
mk70ss

My Taurus 941 .22 magnum is my daily carry working around our ranch. First two rounds up are snake/rat shot, the other five are JHP. So far I have been very happy with this gun.

get url photo upload