The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2021, 04:30 AM   #1
AlongCameJones

Who is an expert on Mossberg shotguns: questions

I just saw a new-production Mossberg 500 yesterday at my LGS and I don't like it at all. The deal-breaker is the fit and finish where the trademark is stamped on the bottom of the receiver.

They use a new style of MOSSBERG lettering in all caps which is sloppy and hard to read. The dark bluing is also shiny and rough. I liked the stamping and finish on the two Mossys I bought new in the 1990's: a 500 and a 590. Sadly one was lost in a home burglary and the other was sold when money was tight. I do love the marking style and quality on those 1990's-built Mossbergs. The older-model bluing wasn't too shiny and the lettering were highly legible.

Here is a picture attached below I found online of the old Mossy trademark: big capital M and the rest of the letters in lowercase. Crisp and easy to read. Note that the bluing in the marking area is semi-gloss and the dark letting has a clear contrast with the smooth semi-gloss finish. I'm nuts about the legibility of markings and neatness of markings on firearms.

I also have a 2005 Remington 870 I bought used in 2017 and that has nice clean trademark markings too. I also like its matte metal finish. I haven't seen new-production Remmys so I can't speak for their fit and finish quality.

Here is my question: what is the final production year for this older style Mossberg trademark I crave so much? I want to try to find a nice secondhand one. Gunmakers have really slacked off on the finish department.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mossy reciever markings.jpg (81.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 23, 2021 at 04:35 AM.
Old June 23, 2021, 10:34 AM   #2
natman

My newest Mossberg is roughly 15 years old and it has the big M logo you like. I don't know when they changed.
Old June 23, 2021, 02:29 PM   #3
AlongCameJones

I just went to Mossberg site and dropped them this message.

"Complaint about new-production Mossberg 500 shotguns: metal stamping/marking legibility, style, finish quality and cosmetics quality vs the older-production Mossberg shotguns

In 1995 I bought a new Mossberg 500 and in 1999 I bought a new Mossberg 590 pump-action shotgun. Both had the "Mossberg" trademark underneath the receiver with a large capital M and the rest of the letters lowercase which is what I totally loved about them. Sadly, both these former Mossberg pump shotguns of mine were parted with by me by the early 2000's, one stolen in a home burglary and the other sold by me used.

I just looked at a new-production Mossberg 500 field/security combo shotgun yesterday at my local gun shop and I'm sickened. I don't like the style and finish of this new Mossberg as compared with the older models I owned prior. The MOSSBERG marking is a newer style with all capital letters and the letters are closely spaced together. The bluing as real dark and shiny and does not contrast well with the stamping. The stamping is also rough and sloppy. I liked the smooth/even semi-gloss blue on the new Mossberg 500 I bought in 1995 as well as the older-style Mossberg bottom receiver stamping then. My 1999-purchased 590 had a nice matte finish I like as well as the same style Mossberg trademark style in crisp easy-to-read pleasing-to-the-eyes lettering. The new-style MOSSBERG lettering, the excessively-shiny/excessivley dark finish and the difficult-to-read markings are the deal-breaker for buying the new Mossberg 500 field/security model.

When did Mossberg discontinue Model 500 shotguns with this older 1990's-style Mossberg trademark as described above? Shame on Mossberg for not keeping the same great finishes and crisp easy-to-read markings of the 1990's. You sure have gotten sloppy in the cosmetics department over the years. It's not what I would ever have expected from Mossberg. I'm now seeking a good older-production Mossberg 500 on the used gun market for this reason. "

A reply is yet to follow from Mossberg.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 23, 2021 at 02:40 PM.