The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 4, 2020, 09:30 PM   #1
lee40215

Get feedback on ruger lcr & lcrx

Wanting to hear some feedback on these 2 models looking at trying to find them in 327 and 357 Any issues?
Old November 4, 2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I have the LCR in 38Spcl +p. No problems, but it doesn't get shot a lot. Stoked up with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr Short Barrel +P it serves as a coat pocket gun in heavy Winter coats.
They have a very good reputation. For my use, I prefer the enclosed hammer over the "x" model.
Many people buy the 357Magnum, and only carry 38 Spcl. so the extra 2oz over the +P version helps keep recoil down.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 4, 2020, 10:03 PM   #3
KyJim

I have the LCR in 9mm. Good trigger and a reliable gun.
Old November 4, 2020, 10:21 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

I've owned and carried the 1 7/8 inch models, both LCR and LCRX and now only have the 3" LCRX in .38 special. Loved them all, and all were flawless in both operation, weight and durability and accuracy. Get the right grips and you can shoot the hottest loads out of them. With wood grips, they tend to sting some because of the light weight. I've shot the hottest Buffalobore out of the .357 LCR and it was stout but manageable.
I love the light weight of the .38 models however and with the BB .38 +P they have an ample load.
But now I carry the Kimber K6 which is just about identical in size but holds one more round and has just as nice a trigger as the LCR's. The Kimber has a more noticeable lockup which enables staging if you are into that mode. The LCR's can be staged as well.
The 3" .357 magnum has the steel monolith frame, so it weighs 21 oz verses the 17 ounces of the .38 frame. I believe the .327 model is the stainless steel frame as well. The kimber, all stainless is only a couple of ounces more than the 3" LCRX with one extra round.
Old November 4, 2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Cyanide971

I bought the LCR 327 Magnum model for my wife, which she uses for EDC loaded with .32 Long SJHP. She absolutely loves it because of the complete absence of muzzle blast and recoil, in addition to having a sixth available shot versus five.
Old November 5, 2020, 08:03 AM   #6
rob-c

Wife and I both love our 38+p lcr’s , I pocket carry mine. I would say we have 3 to 4000 rounds down the barrel on both guns with zero problems. I load 158 grainers over 4 grains of unique for our target loads. My CC load is the 158 lead hollow point old FBI load.
Old November 5, 2020, 08:34 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I've had a .357 LCR for several years. Maybe 5 years? Trigger pull is long, but smooth. I find shooting .357s out of it to be, erm, less than pleasant. It's not at all bad with .38s, though.
Old November 5, 2020, 09:13 AM   #8
reteach

I have the LCRX .327. I usually carry it in my front pocket, loaded with .32 H&R Mag. I have not found the exposed hammer to be a problem when I draw it, but I wear loose-fitting clothes and my pockets are big enough to accommodate the gun. It's old news by now, but with the .327 you get the option of four different loadings. I've never shot .32 S&W in mine, but I have shot a lot of .32 S&W Long. It's a great practice round and in normal times it can be found for around $17-$18 for a box of 50. The .32 H&R is plenty for me for SD. Check out Lucky Gunner's gel tests for a few available loads. I think the LCRX is a great little gun.
Old November 6, 2020, 04:32 PM   #9
DaleA

I got to fire an LCR .357 magnum and was impressed with the gun but personally I just will not handle .357 magnum 158 grain loads...hurts my hand too much. I might fire 5 or 10 .357 magnum 125 grain rounds from it during a range session but no more than that.

That was with the "stock" LCR. Different grips might change my mind and of course different folk have different tolerances. YMMV.

P.S. Again, I thought the gun was very well made and it functioned fine the day I shot it.
Old November 6, 2020, 04:44 PM   #10
Carmady

Not specific to the two models you mentioned, but keep an eye on the thumbpiece pivot pin because they are prone to back out if you shoot it a lot. It takes a 0.050" allen wrench (aka 1.27mm or 1.3mm).
Old November 6, 2020, 04:45 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I've had a .357 LCR for several years. Maybe 5 years? Trigger pull is long, but smooth. I find shooting .357s out of it to be, erm, less than pleasant. It's not at all bad with .38s, though.
Some years back I had a chance to shoot full house .357 through the LCR. It surprised me. Subjectively, it felt about the same as shooting .357 through my all steel, half pound heavier Taurus 605. So, not as bad as I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I got to fire an LCR .357 magnum and was impressed with the gun but personally I just will not handle .357 magnum 158 grain loads...hurts my hand too much. I might fire 5 or 10 .357 magnum 125 grain rounds from it during a range session but no more than that.

That was with the "stock" LCR. Different grips might change my mind and of course different folk have different tolerances. YMMV.
A search for better grips is almost a given, with any revolver I buy.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 6, 2020, 04:46 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

Carmandy, are you referring to the Cylinder release latch pin?
Old November 6, 2020, 07:58 PM   #13
dontcatchmany

I have the lcr in 327 Federal Magnum. My wife has one also but shoots 32 H&R Magnum in it.

I like to pocket cary a back up gun and the LCR is fantastic for that. Exceptional trigger and shoots very accurately.

Good luck finding one.

I gave up looking for one for my wife's friend. None to be found. Of course I was looking for 327 Magnum chambering.
Old November 6, 2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Carmady

HVR, that sounds like a good name for it.

The yellow arrow points to the head (hidden). If it backs out you can see threads in that empty slot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCR.jpg (739.9 KB, 40 views)
Old November 6, 2020, 09:15 PM   #15
JERRYS.

I've had three LCRs (.22lr, .327mag, .38spl) all were good guns, I no longer have the .38spl.
they have the best trigger for any "J" frame sized gun I've shot. the .22lr isn't as good as the other calibers but noticeably better than any other .22lr D/A I've shot.
Old November 6, 2020, 09:44 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Yes, I did have one back out on one of mine. Luckily I noticed it before it entire got lost! Some blue locktite solved the problem.
Old November 6, 2020, 11:29 PM   #17
stinkeypete

LCRx 3" .38 special for me. It's my kit gun- general field bumming about. It's lighter than any of my .22's to carry and drops easily in the pocket of my field jacket.

The rubber grips were, at first, ugly in my eyes. Shooting .38 +p loads I now find those black rubber grips to be proportional and highly effective. After shooting, I would not change them one bit.

Mine holds the 7 ring on an NRA Bullseye 25 yard target with my best (so far) hand loads, which is not spectacular accuracy.

I like the materials of construction for where I go- falling in to water is often a possibility and I am very confident that a dunking won't harm the LCRx at all.
Old November 6, 2020, 11:33 PM   #18
9x19

I have six of the Rugers

2" LCR .38
2" LCRX .38
3" LCRX .22 LR
3" LCRX .22 WMR
3" LCRX .38
3" LCRX .357

The 2" guns are carry guns for the wife and I.
The 3" guns are woods guns, depending on locale and season.
All are excellent.
Old November 7, 2020, 09:44 PM   #19
lee40215

Appreciate all the feedback. Guess it will be on the lookout list prices right now on the 327 lcrx is high to say the least.
Old November 10, 2020, 03:24 AM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

I bought the Ruger LCR 9mm when they first came out. Man, I have shot the heck out of the gun and love it the more I shoot it. Just had it out yesterday for a 100rd. (I normally load up 40 moon clips the night before but cutting back since the shortage crap)
Just a super shooting revolver that is nothing but fun at the range. And the gun is flawless every time. (learned not to shoot cheap ammo). Later I bought the LCR22 as a trainer and it has become my favorite Plinker.
The LCR has to be one of the best Snubbies made. Solid and sound built, great trigger that is smooth and deliberate all the way through.

Here is a great article on the LCR9mm

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; November 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old November 10, 2020, 06:22 AM   #21
jetinteriorguy

When Ruger pulls their head out of the dark hole and makes a 3” LCRX in .327 Mag then I’m getting on board the train. I just like the fact it carries six rounds in such an easily carried size with a perfectly viable SD round.
Old November 10, 2020, 07:26 PM   #22
Super Sneaky Steve

If Ruger made a 3" 327 I'd be first in line to get one.

Right now I have a 2" .38 and a 3" .38. Excellent guns. The shorter one lives in my pocket with the Ruger boot grips. The 3" is the most comfortable revolver I own for IWB carry. I can shoot it faster and more accurately than any of my snubbies.
Old November 11, 2020, 09:18 PM   #23
dgludwig

How do the da trigger pulls on the Ruger Models 100 and 101 re compare to the LCR? And, yes, Super Sneaky Steve, I too wish Ruger would offer the LCR chambered in .327 Federal Magnum with a 3" long barrel.
Old November 12, 2020, 05:53 AM   #24
jetinteriorguy

Not sure how a GP100 trigger compares to the LCR, but I know with a little work and some shims and springs they can be slicked up very very nicely. I’ve been a Smith guy all my life, but last year I acquired a GP100 in a trade. At first the trigger pull was very hard, but with a little polishing, lighter springs, and some shims it’s now as good as any pistol I’ve ever had and it’s a keeper. While I’ve never been particularly fond of Ruger revolvers and just don’t like revolvers with full under lugs, this GP100 has found a permanent home with me and I truly enjoy shooting it. Even a 3” GP100 with seven rounds in .327mag would be a keeper if they made them.
Old November 12, 2020, 11:52 AM   #25
Carl the Floor Walker

I thought the 327 would be a nice gun to go along with my 22 and 9mm. That is until I shot one. My Gosh the 327 is loud. I mean loud. It would IMO blow out a ear drum if you had to use it especially indoors without protection. Plus ammo expensive and hard to find. I love the 9mm. I can shoot it often and cheaply. (pre-virus days). Shooting for fun and frequently is a big benefit of the Snubbie. The only way I would get the 327 is to have the 9mm for range work and only carry the 327 with 32 cal Hr in it. Not sure that is worth it to me,
Recoil in the 9mm is this side of pleasant before going harsh. Easy to shoot 2-300 rds per session.
I think if it was just 6 rds I wanted, I would try the new Taurus. I have never owned one, but have shot them at the Club I belong to. Nice little guns.