The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 30, 2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

2021 SHOT Show cancelled

As a media member of the NSSF, I usually attend the SHOT Show every January. I've been debating whether or not to attend the next one, because I'm in the high-risk population for COVID-19.

The debate has been resolved, and I didn't have to make a decision. I received the following from the NSSF a few minutes ago:

Quote:
NSSF® Announces 2021 SHOT Show® Cancellation

Statement from NSSF President & CEO Joe Bartozzi:

Due to the recent rise in COVID-19 cases throughout the world, NSSF, the firearm industry trade association, today makes the difficult announcement that the 2021 SHOT Show has been cancelled.

NSSF has remained in constant communication with Nevada officials throughout the year in our planning for the 2021 show. While there has been a concerted effort to expand the allowable levels for large gatherings by the county and state, with positivity rates peaking during our key planning period we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 show. Sadly, these spikes are currently transpiring worldwide. Given the sheer complexities, diminishing timeline and immense logistical planning required to conduct a trade show as large as SHOT, NSSF simply could not move forward at this point with so many unknowns and variables. We truly appreciate the guidance of Nevada and Las Vegas officials in allowing us to communicate this news to our exhibitors and attendees well in advance of the show. We would also like to thank the Sands directly for their help and efforts to navigate this unprecedented situation.

The planning and work that has gone into the 2021 SHOT Show has been nothing short of remarkable. Since the pandemic began in early 2020, the NSSF staff and our show partners have been working around the clock to plan our largest show in history while keeping the health and safety of all involved as paramount.

The support of our show exhibitors this year has also been nothing short of remarkable. With three months to go until the show, floor space for both the Sands Expo Center and our expansion to the new Caesars Forum was nearly sold out, with more companies than ever before represented at the SHOT Show.

All of this positions us for a 2022 SHOT Show that will be undoubtedly the best in our industry’s history, and we look forward to bringing our entire community together again at a show that will be one to remember.

During the coming year, NSSF asks for our industry’s unwavering support as we continue our fight to promote, protect and preserve our industry in these unsettling times.

Throughout this year, NSSF has remained at the forefront for our industry. As thousands of businesses across the country were shuttered as being “non-essential” during the pandemic, NSSF worked nonstop to have firearm retailers, ranges, manufacturers and distributors listed as “essential” which allowed them to remain open for business.

NSSF is your trade association. Everything we do—from education, safety initiatives, compliance and security resources, import/export guidance, consumer activation initiatives, government relations, and the SHOT Show—is aimed at helping businesses in our industry succeed. Now, more than ever, we need your continued support.
Jeepaholic
Old October 30, 2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Well, everybody is sold out anyway and manufacturers can't make enough to keep up with current demand as it is. It isn't like they are going to have the time and inclination to be producing new products any time soon.
Old October 30, 2020, 05:40 PM   #3
10-96

I hate to see one cancelled, even though a mere mortal such as myself can't go. However, it is entertaining to speculate what the 2022 Shot Show COULD be like. 2 Years of pent up engineering prowess being unleashed upon the masses instead of just 1.

I know, probably just wishful thinking, but it would be nice to catch all the videos, news feeds, articles and be blown away.

AB, I don't blame you for your hesitation Sir. I've had COVID recently. I don't recall any illnesses that greatly worried me. But this bug had me genuinely scared, it was rough.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 30, 2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96
I hate to see one cancelled, even though a mere mortal such as myself can't go. However, it is entertaining to speculate what the 2022 Shot Show COULD be like. 2 Years of pent up engineering prowess being unleashed upon the masses instead of just 1.
I ain't so sure about all that "engineering prowess."

I attended this year's SHOT Show. It's absolutely impossible for one person to see everything and talk to everyone within the span of a week, so I certainly didn't even try. I was there primarily to look at handguns. I think I only saw one or two that I would consider to be in any way "new." In fact, my general characterization of the 2020 SHOT Show when I checked in with the boss was that 2020 seems to be the year of ugly paint jobs on guns. Manufacturers generally didn't have a lot of new models, and so many guns are clones of other guns or substantially similar to other guns that the only way they can make their product "stand out" appears to be slapping on an American flag, or a portrait of the President, or painting fake rivets on the side of the slide and frame to make the gun look more like ... well, I really don't know like what, since I don't know of many semi-automatics that have been made out of riveted sheet metal.

And every SHOT Show I find another company or three making 1911s that I had never heard of before.

It's much more about marketing than it is about innovation, IMHO.
Jeepaholic