The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2019, 01:07 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

Zamak parts are never an issue, until they break.
Steel and aluminum will bend and flex. Zamak doesn't flex, it breaks.
That said, it's OK for cheap low-powered pistols.
Old August 26, 2019, 01:59 PM   #27
Carl the Floor Walker

Shoot standard pressure ammo in the Phoenix and you can get thousands of rounds through them. I have so many I cannot even remember in the past 10 years. And If so, Phoenix Customer service is top shelf. And a Life time warranty.
Old August 26, 2019, 07:21 PM   #28
Bill DeShivs

Wait a minute! You're the guy who doesn't like aluminum frames!
Old August 27, 2019, 02:09 PM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

With all due respect, maybe you should wait a minute. No I do not like aluminum in a 380 sub-chassis. Do not even have a problem with it in a P32. And three post up you are talking about Zamak. We are still talking about the Phoenix are we not? If you want to talk 380 aluminum sub chassis, might want to start a new thread.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 27, 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old August 30, 2019, 10:04 AM   #30
KawLiga

My father has one of the HP22As and he and I both enjoy shooting it any time we go to the range. The only issue we have with it is sometimes the front sight is a bit difficult to pick up quickly at ranges of 10+ yards. But it is accurate, has a reasonable trigger, and functions just fine with the basic 22LR ammo we use.

I would say that it is worth it, especially if you can pick it up for under a hundred bucks.
Old August 31, 2019, 09:01 PM   #31
OneFreeTexan

I have no problem with mine,,What is this shooting ‘quickly’ of what you speak.. I am always slow and deliberate. Makes for better accuracy
Old September 14, 2019, 08:49 PM   #32
TruthTellers

Wow, the Phoenix HP22 is a nice pistol. Put 50 rds thru it of CCI SV, no issues. Nice trigger too, feels a lot like a Charter Arms trigger in the "cap gun" feel. Definitely a lot better than the older Taurus PT-22 I have, but it is a lot heavier than that gun is.

The magazine removal is quirky, but it's not some terrible dealbreaker given how well it shoots.

I'd recommend these to anybody.
Old September 15, 2019, 02:12 PM   #33
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Wow, the Phoenix HP22 is a nice pistol. Put 50 rds thru it of CCI SV, no issues. Nice trigger too, feels a lot like a Charter Arms trigger in the "cap gun" feel. Definitely a lot better than the older Taurus PT-22 I have, but it is a lot heavier than that gun is.

The magazine removal is quirky, but it's not some terrible dealbreaker given how well it shoots.

I'd recommend these to anybody.
I "fixed" the magazine safety in mine by bending a part slightly that made it work like a normal magazine. I think I found the "fix" on YouTube. I bent it rather than removed it so I could straighten it back in case I needed it to work if I had a warranty need. I sold it to my brother for his wife after I replaced it with a Ruger MK III. I should have kept it.
Old September 22, 2019, 06:35 AM   #34
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFreeTexan View Post
I have no problem with mine,,What is this shooting ‘quickly’ of what you speak.. I am always slow and deliberate. Makes for better accuracy
Shooting fast is basically point and shoot skills. There are many drills you can do to develop the eye and hand muscle memory skills. Here is just one I do with the Phoenix.

I put these three targets up and draw the gun and shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger. Never the same target twice. Move up, down and in the middle. For myself, it feels as if I am pulling the trigger so fast, before my eyes are on target.

Another fun drill is to take 9, 3" reactive targets paste onto a standard B3 targer and place them in a row of 3 going down. (three rows of three). Then shoot as fast as possible for time and the goal to hit the small 3" reactive targets. Fun to compete with a friend.

And of course there are many other drills to practice Point and shoot skills at the outdoor range.

Here is the same drill done with the Beretta Pico at 8 yds, but with two targets. The goal is speed and to center mass.

Sort barrel pistols are not hard to shoot, just have a longer learning curve. The Phoenix helps to develop moving the short barrel quickly.
Old September 24, 2019, 10:03 PM   #35
Snowdog

I have both an HP22A and HP25A as they are so stinkin' inexpensive.

Both have been flawless so far. I later bought a range kit with 5" barrel and found, though it worked fine as well, took away some of the appeal for me (as I intend something like this to be for pocket carry).

If you're interested, go for it.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old September 27, 2019, 04:00 AM   #36
9mm

I really want one, the cheap guns are the funnest, I have a Rough Rider that I abuse. The HP22 came across my path multiple times at gun shows in the past, the local shops have them for $180+ when online they can be low as $122 with shipping!

Though I heard its cheap pot metal and people wouldn't want to risk their hand to exploding gun in it. ???? It's a 22lr. Honestly its a great investment to play around with and shtf throw in a box and trade it off for gold if the world ends.
Old October 5, 2019, 06:04 PM   #37
JFritz

I bought one over a year or so ago simply because I liked the looks and it was cheap. I thought it would be fun to do some target shooting & plinking with. After a year and a little break in period and it has been absolutely flawless. And as others mention the trigger is pretty darn good and is fairly accurate for a small 22. I take it to the range all the time and have fun popping off 100 rounds through it.

Last edited by JFritz; October 5, 2019 at 06:20 PM.