The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2001, 08:21 AM   #1
Hawkman

Light primer strikes

I bought a used S&W 681 the other day that is in excellent shape except for one thing - if I am shooting double action and squeeeeze the trigger, I get a light primer strike and failure to fire. If I pull the trigger rapidly, it fires every time. It fires every time single action, as well.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

BTW, it has the hammer mounted firing pin.

Thx,

Hawkman
Old August 3, 2001, 02:46 PM   #2
stuckatwork

Check the main/hammer spring tension. I am not absolutly sure yours has one, almost every S&W revolver I ever seen has a screw to setthe hammer tension. Look around the bottom of the pistol, around the backside of the handle backstrap, there may be a small screw. If not, pop the grips off, you will see it near the bottom of the big leaf spring that runs inside the handle.

These screws have been known to back out overtime. And, there have been reports that unreputable gunsmiths will turn this screw out instead of doing a trigger job.

Simply turn the screw in about a half turn and see what happens. Just keep going until you geta good crisp hammer release and a popped primer. One thing, tightening the screw against the spring will increase trigger pull.

Good luck.
Old August 3, 2001, 02:52 PM   #3
Hawkman

stuckatwork -

I'll bet that's it, because when I first picked it up the trigger was so good I thought it must have had some work done on it.

thanks!
Old August 3, 2001, 10:43 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Work done on it". Lots of people work on S&W trigger pulls. Some of them even know what they are doing. If the hammer strike is too light, the mainspring may have been trimmed, the strain screw (at the bottom front of the grip) backed out or cut down, or something else messed up.

Note that the strain screw may look OK until you compare it with a good one, since some people cut them off at the inside end rather than just backing them out.

Jim