The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2011, 06:21 AM   #26
Gregad

TXGunNut

Someone commented on I needed to get with the times and upgrade to carbide. My dies are all old too. This is the first time I have had any warranty work done on any dies. I think I have around 15 or 20 different sizes. Anyway. I can't see buying new dies when the old has never failed me. Like throwing money out the window.

Well RCBS says they are sending me a new carbide sizing die. So will wait and see how it goes.

I just went and looked. I have 4 RCBS die sets. 9 Reddings, 2 lymans, 1 Lee and 2 custom made sets for loading blanks. The Lee is a 9mm I haven't tried yet. It was given to me by a guy who doesn't like them.
Old June 5, 2011, 06:23 PM   #27
Clifford L. Hughes

Gregad:

The reloading industry is very competitive so it's very hard to understand why RCBS won't replace your sizing die. They're fighting the competition for your business. Send the die back to them and ask them to replace it. Let us know what happens.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC retired
Old June 6, 2011, 07:57 AM   #28
SL1

I've neveer found RCBS to be "stingy"

Once I ordered an RCBS seater plug from Midway that was designed for a particular bullet that I wanted to use. When I received it, I realized that it did not fit my seater die, because RCBS had changed the die body design since I purchase the original die set many years before. When I called RCBS to ask them about what fit what, they simply sent me a new seater body for FREE. And I was not complaining or acting upset when I called, because I realized that it was my mistake.

I am careful with my dies and presses, and have never had any problem with RCBS equipment. Die designs differ among manufacturers, and I buy based on the features I want for a particular cartridge. I have RCBS, Lee, Foster, Redding, Lyman and Hornady dies, and do not consider ANY of those to be junk.

SL1
Old June 6, 2011, 12:03 PM   #29
Howard31

RCBS

RCBS is GREAT. 40+ years of dealing with them has made me a real believer in their products.
In a pinch for decap pins grab a spoke out of the Grandkids bike. They work great and the kids don't know nuthin.
Old June 6, 2011, 03:07 PM   #30
publius

I have only heard outstanding things about RCBS CS. I have dealt with them once. I got a stuck case in a die which was totally my fault. Sent it in. They could have written me and said, buy a stuck case remover, we sell them. instead I got a brand new sizing die. I think other companies miss the boat not treating customers this way. It cost them a $20.00 sizing die but they gained hundreds of dollars in future business from me, not counting the fact that I will always recommend RCBS to any who ask. Same with Leupold. Ray Ban (used) to be like that. I wear Costa's now.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:24 PM   #31
arizona98tj

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, as I've seen it time and time again on this forum and others. If you are a serious reloader, why wouldn't you have a spare package or two of decapping pins for which ever brand of die (or dies) you happen to use? I can't imagine running a reloading bench....break a pin....and then put my reloading process on hold while I wait for the manufacturer to send me a replacement pin. I realize that the pin can be replaced for free, but is that the only reason to hurry up and wait?

Can someone explain the logic behind doing it this way?
Old June 6, 2011, 08:58 PM   #32
Sevens

Well...
I managed to break the decapping pin in a Lee 9mm sizing die. These are basically indestructible -- unless you are dumb enough to WAY over tighten the collet that holds the rod in place, which I did. Over-tightening the collet won't allow the rod to slide harmlessly out of the way when under extreme stress. So -- I -- was the reason that I was able to break a nearly unbreakable decap rod on a Lee die.

In 20+ years, maybe 100k rounds... I've broken a total of ONE. That one. So I stole the decap rod from my Lee .44 Magnum die and contacted Lee.

I continued to work on 9mm with my borrowed decap rod from the .44 die. Lee mailed me a new one, completely free of charge. When it arrived, I installed it -- in the .44 Mag die, where it still resides.

And I'm still making 9mm with my borrowed .44 Mag decap rod. I think that was two years ago. Three, maybe?

So... buy spares? I don't think so. I've got Lee dies in more than a dozen calibers. I've broken one and at this rate, I'll break my next Lee decap pin in the year 2030, so I'm neither going to "stock up" on spares nor lose sleep over it.

If I had a slew of RCBS with their crappy decap pins, I'd probably keep a dozen spares on hand. (that was for you, FrankenMauser! )
Old June 6, 2011, 09:06 PM   #33
oneounceload

Have been using RCBS metallic products for over 30 years - never an issue of any kind. Have been using their Grand shotshell press - it was used when i got it and I ave needed some parts that are designed to break in lieu of more major damage to te machine. A call to RCBS and the parts are on the way - free - as long as forever lasts

Have had Lee and Dillon, I'll stick with big Green
Old June 7, 2011, 01:58 AM   #34
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If I had a slew of RCBS with their crappy decap pins, I'd probably keep a dozen spares on hand. (that was for you, FrankenMauser! )
I shall slaughter you! How dare you insult the equipment on my bench! I shall resort to a 12 page diatribe on the superior nature of a specific brand of equipment!

I have about 5 of each type of pin on hand for my RCBS dies (old style short, old style long, "headed" style short, "headed" style long). The old style pins also work in Redding dies (though I've never broken or bent a Redding pin). Most were sent free, from RCBS, upon request.

I haven't had to replace a pin lately, though. ...And the last one that was replaced was in a used ".38 Wadcutter Only" die set that had a bent pin when it was purchased. (Most of the pins I have had to replace are because I did something the die was not designed for. )

I don't think there's anyone left in the reloading forum, that doesn't know I've had really bad experiences with Lee dies (and some other equipment), but I generally only complain about the plastic equipment. I have no "across the board" issues with any major brand; just issues with certain products (and some of that is just personal preference, due to my methods).

However... RCBS customer service blows away anyone else I've had to deal with. I honestly wish I could give Redding a call, but I've never had an issue with any of their products that I have used.

...Give it about a month, and my bench will be even more colorful (the next press will be doozy ...and black.... ).

(For those of you that don't know... that's not an attack, of any kind, on Sevens. We have a good rapport. I only jest.)
Old June 7, 2011, 01:15 PM   #35
mbopp

I've had RCBS (and Redding) ship me a few small parts gratis.
Here's the latest: I have a primer arm from 1980 or so on my Rockchucker, it's the old style where the plugs are held in by a set screw. I must've torqued it too much because the primer arm cracked at the plug hole.
Yesterday I emailed RCBS about it. Within a few minutes I had a reply asking for some more info, and a few minutes after that I had another reply that they were sending a replacement under warranty. Total elapsed time: less than 30 minutes!