The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

New Addition

Cabela's just had to put the blinkin thing on sale.

I am really starting to like Remingtons.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Hardcase

I like it better when I'm at work and I can't see the pictures...it's easier on my wallet

That looks like fun, Doc!
Old February 11, 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
K Soze

I saw that today, almost bought it... still might
Old February 11, 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Ohhhhhhh so tempting! Congrats Doc on your new "baby" . . . feed it and nurture it and it just might grow up to be a "big one"!

Am curiouse to hear your thoughts on the one you got - fit & finish, indexing - basically if you are satisfied with the quality? I saw the one post by the fellow who had one and the mainspring seemed too stiff (as his wife was using it) - what are your thoughts on the one you got? From the photo, it looks very nice. I am sooooooooo tempted to order one! Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 11, 2011, 08:54 PM   #5
BConklin

cute li'l sumbidges ain't they?

Filing down the spring worked well - there was way too much spring there for that little gun I bought for my wife. How's the spring on yours?
Old February 12, 2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Hellgate

I have never posted this before but that little gun is as CUTE AS A BEAGLE PUPPY!
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 12, 2011, 12:31 AM   #7
napp

Nice looking little gun, Doc. I knew it was only a matter of time after reading one of your previous posts. They probably discounted it because someone forgot the trigger guard during assembly.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Coupla responses...

Bedbug,

The fit and finish is superb cosmetically. It appears that the folks at the factory fit the trigger guard onto the frame for final finishing, then take it apart for blueing and final assembly. The joint between the trigger guard and the frame is nearly imperceptable. As for the action I have not had the opportunity to do anything but a cursory examination. From that it seems fine. The sight and the lever latch are installed straight.

Conk,

I am accustomed to pretty much all Remingtons having a stiff hammer pull. I actually never gave it a thought on this pistol until your post about yours. So to answer your question I had to go back and try it. It is stiff but not so much that it bothers my thumb. On a big Remington a stiff pull is not so bad because there is a lot of area on the grip of the revolver for contact with your hand. You can get a good grip on the grip . But on these little 63s, it is not easy to cock the thing one handed regardless of the weight of the pull. With a 58, you can cock it one handed and your hand is still pretty much in the right position to shoot the pistol. But cocking this 63 requires a bit of shifting before "aim and squeeze."
Old February 12, 2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Bill Akins

I like it a lot Doc. Give us a range report when you shoot it will you?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 12, 2011, 04:03 PM   #10
okiefarmer

Not a hijack, and nice piece. I saw them on special the other day too.

Have never handled one, so tell me how in the sam hill does the trigger operate. Just looks hinky in the trigger function.
Old February 12, 2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Kadmos

Hellgate, that's impossible, my own daughter as a newborn wasn't as cute as a beagle puppy!!

Tis a good lookin revolver though, not Beagle pup cute, but a very handsome devil nonetheless.
Old February 12, 2011, 05:56 PM   #12
noelf2

When I first saw one of those, I didn't realize how small they actually are. Nice little backup piece back in the day. I hope you enjoy it Doc!
Old February 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Hardcase

Okiefarmer, I know what you're thinking, because I thought the same thing when I first saw one. When you cock the hammer, the tricker pops forward and gives your finger plenty to hold onto.
Old February 13, 2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Couple responses

Noelf2,

Thanks...BTW March is coming.

Okie,

I have had a coupla these things including an ASM which I put back together with parts scrounged from Pietta. I have noticed that variations in the shape of the hammer and trigger cause the trigger action to be different based upon the manufacturer. It seems like the trigger of the ASMs want to move out a long way at full cock. The trigger comes out so far that you can easily see the machined contour of the back of the trigger. On this Pietta, the trigger comes out less. The ASM is gone now and I wish I had taken some photos for a reference.

It really is a tiny pistol.