The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
murphjup

Best 12 Gauge snap caps?

Just got a new O/U manufacturer.... recomends using snaps caps to relieve trigger/firing pin tension when storing...

You guys have any Manufacturer recomendations for 12 gauge snap caps?

Thank you in advance!!

Old November 6, 2008, 09:56 PM   #2
oneounceload

AZOOMS seem to do well....whatever you get, DO NOT GET the clear plastic ones - they constantly break and are a royal PITA to deal with

I believe Orvis or similar also offer ones that have a wool mop on the end

you can also make your own with empty hulls and pencil erasers
Old November 6, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
USA123456789

If you can get your hands on a pair of wooly snap caps with the cotton tail hall you should be in good shape check out http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...615***10558*** they have them
Old November 6, 2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

murphjup

I know one of the big time trap or skeet guys will laugh at me but I got a couple of pairs of Orvis turned aluminum snap caps chrome plated. They were given to me by some Skeet guys who shot the hi dollar guns. It is about as close as I will ever get to that grade of shotgun. I cherish them and the have been of good service to me for a very long time.

The are about $50 a set these days.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:00 AM   #5
murphjup

Thank you guys...

I will look at all you suggested....

Old November 7, 2008, 05:46 PM   #6
BigJimP

I'm cheap, I use the wooly ones / when I bother ... but I'm impressed with Bob's turned aluminum ones.....I'm gonna have to go by Orvis just to take a look....( and no-one was laughing at you because of your snap caps, that was entirely another matter ....).
Old November 7, 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have a question for ya'll...
I have a concept in the mental only stage. What would a snapcap with a lifetime warranty be worth to you?
I am not real far from prototyping it if it is marketable. This would be for all calibers and gauges.
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
BigJimP

Not much, unless you turn them from aluminum and chrome plate them ...and engrave my name on them, so ScattergunBob doesn't borrow them ...

the brass / wooly ones will last forever .....until I lose them/or put them in a shooting bag where I can't find them...

I don't know what the cost per set is ? I haven't bought any in years ... but I think the dummy round ones (hard plastic, red ones) are about $ 12 a set ... Like someone else said, the clear plastic ones last 30 days / and if you drop them on concrete they shatter ...they're junk. But make us an offer - we might buy them just because you're on the forum..
Old November 7, 2008, 06:49 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well I am thinking brass body and stainless steel cap portion. These would be a true lifetime item and if used for "practice" I may offer a slightly softer but replaceable primer portion. I am really not an inventer by nature but hate to see a device made as an expendable item when a lifetime re-usable item could be built. Post some links to the most durable available and I will decide if I can compete. Cost would be based on material cost and labor. But I know that New operations have to consume some costs as production is perfected.
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 07:01 PM   #10
oneounceload

hogdogs - no s.s. please.....it's harder than some steels....go with brass
Old November 7, 2008, 07:04 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If I go with brass I cannot offer them as lifetime but can offer replaceable primer portion.
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 07:52 PM   #12
BigJimP

There are all kinds of ideas out there - and if you can make a buck, good for you.

I'm not sure snap caps is worth much time though ....( I was just picking on ScattergunBob, I didn't really mean it ..) but don't tell him ...
Old November 7, 2008, 08:59 PM   #13
USA123456789

Snappers

Come on BigJim stop picking on the lil guy. LOL . If i were you i would l@@k the wooly ones that i advized to you i have just lost mine on thursday and i had the darn things for a year now.

Dam shooting bag claimed something else of mine. Like my ranger color mag lenses, shooting rag, a box of shells (I guess it got hungry) , box holders at least two, oh and those dam snap caps. Well of to the mysterious powers of the inernet to buy another pair and a can of rem oil that magically dissapeared of into the deep ibis of the shooting bag.

BE SHURE TO FEED THE SHOOTING BAG

Last edited by USA123456789; November 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old November 7, 2008, 09:53 PM   #14
Scattergun Bob

BigJim

Guess I started the whole thing with the crack about trapshooters months ago. But as we discussed "as long as you don't call me late for dinner, you can call me most anything."

With my girlish figure, missing dinner would be a crime!

My best to you, I'll try to get to e-mail tonight looks like you had a day off! Bob
Old November 17, 2008, 12:38 PM   #15
murphjup

A-Zooms

Well I ended up getting some metal A-zoom's, might not be as pretty as the Beretta's, bu tthey sure are alot cheaper and do the job...

Thank you for all your suggestions.