The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 2, 2007, 11:05 AM   #26
The Tourist

I am also a knife nut. It's not only a part of my job but there is no CCW provision in my state.

I rotate between an Emerson HD-7 and several Strider folders. However, I must admit that the Emerson has been riding with me for quite sometime.

Old July 2, 2007, 01:04 PM   #27
dairycreek

Yes, I carry a knife as part of my self defense geat. Pictured is my Ruger SP-101 and a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande. It has been a very nice carry combo in a Smartcarry.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old July 2, 2007, 01:12 PM   #28
Limeyfellow

I carry one of two knifes on me pretty much at all times. A Bear balisong and a swiss army knife. They are just too inplanted into me as a survival tool not to carry and use it in the garden, cutting string, opening letters, the balisong could even be used to chop wood since the handle design makes it so strong, undo screws, clean nails, open cans of food, open bottles, strip some firearms, cooking, eating. They are the utilitarian masterpiece and its a shame its not seen to be carrying them anymore.

I have a bunch of other knifes, my wife normally carries a case folder and we have machettes, kurkris and so on for larger brush in the garden, a couple of larger survival knifes such as the MOD no4 knife and a kabar that we take into the mountains camping all the way down to sais that my wife uses to my fairbairn sykes which has little purpose other than looking good and reenactments though would make a good backup weapon. Add a bunch more of folders, balisongs, bayonets and so on and I have way too many sharp bits of metal beyond usual kitchen cuterly.
Old July 2, 2007, 01:37 PM   #29
jhgreasemonkey

As long as im dressed I always carry a knife. My favorite lately is my SOG flash. Its a spring assist with a wicked sharp blade.
Old July 2, 2007, 02:56 PM   #30
Mister_Dinky

Just wondering if many folks carry a knife as a secondary defense weapon.

I live in Nazi Jersey. It is my primary weapon as the US Constitution has no meaning here.
Old July 7, 2007, 01:30 AM   #31
Capt_Vin

Rule #1: Never bring a knife to a gunfight!

But, however, I am never without my 2 back-ups, in my right front pocket I carry a 6" folder w/ a tiny flip-out flashlight built into the handle, and in my left front pocket, I carry a 4 1/2 inch folder. Both have a thumb knob for quick deployment, both are razor sharp and both cost less than %15.00 at the oriental store at the local mall. Ya never know when ya may need a good knife to cut a tough sandwich.
Old July 7, 2007, 10:50 PM   #32
20nickels

Thanks for reminding me. I often forget it's even there. Benchmade folder.
No Hideaway Knives?
Old July 7, 2007, 10:57 PM   #33
Renfield

Quote:
Do you carry a knife?
yes but not as a secondary defense weapon

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 9, 2007, 11:48 AM   #34
RocketFoot

I carry this folder even when I don't have the Ruger on me...It is a matte stainless commemorative knife from Mack Trucks. (I work for Mack, BTW) Not sure who manufactured it, but it is tight and opens flawlessly with one hand action...

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old July 9, 2007, 12:32 PM   #35
Phelptwan

I carried a spyderco civilian up until it was stolen about a month ago at an event I was at. Now I carry an endura.
Old July 9, 2007, 11:22 PM   #36
74camaroman

I carry a Schrade 3" trifolder, front left Pocket.
Sog Flash W/spring assist on the belt. Schrade Thin Line in both boots.
. Best to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old July 10, 2007, 01:06 AM   #37
RockyMtnTactical

Crkt M16 12z
Old July 11, 2007, 12:28 PM   #38
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I carry 2---not as a back-up weapon ---but can be called upon for such duties if needed.

Custom Buck 110
Benchmade Griptilian 551
-------Metallica
Old July 11, 2007, 12:42 PM   #39
Bigfatts

I carry a Kabar Last Ditch Knife. Handy little thing to have.
Old July 12, 2007, 12:07 PM   #40
gfen

Quote:
Just wondering if many folks carry a knife as a secondary defense weapon.
I carry one as my primary can opener, that count?
Old July 12, 2007, 12:38 PM   #41
The Tourist

All kidding aside, I hope no one takes "the knife to a gunfight" as a serious recommendation for survival. A knife is a deadly instrument and it should not be denigrated.

Having some drunken idiot grab hold of you with a knife is a very disturbing possibility. As you begin your fending martial arts training and a speed-rock attempt, your aggressor is slashing in every direction.

I suggest that you google Snopes and research a vignette they did on some very serious knife wounds. It is truly eye opening.

You cannot pick your emergency. And having a well maintained, sharp tactical knife might be just the thing you need.
Old July 16, 2007, 04:10 AM   #42
skeeter

I carry a Benchmade all titanium folder. i think it weights about an oz or 2. Blade is titanium too. It goes great with my carry SW329.
Old July 16, 2007, 06:40 AM   #43
USNavy_233

If you have enough room to pull a knife, you have enough room to pull a gun.

That being said, I carry a Microtech SOCOM Elite Auto. Been carrying it for 6+ years now. You just never know when you'll need a good knife for something.
Old July 16, 2007, 04:20 PM   #44
Shooter 973

Carry a knife?

If I'm up and dressed I'm carrying a knife! It's just part of my wardrobe, that and a pen and a pair of reading glasses now that I'm Old (57). I have always carried a knife as far back as I can remember. And all of my friends and work associates know I have a SHARP knife on me. I get asked to loan it everyday by someone. Some I say NO to.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old July 16, 2007, 05:33 PM   #45
tazmss

I carry a Benchmade auto-folder.....very handy
Old July 16, 2007, 05:41 PM   #46
Kreyzhorse

Pocket knife unless I'm hunting or fishing. Usually carry a case toothpick or a buck folder. Funny, but I've never thought of a knife as a protection weapon although I'm well aware of what a trained person could do with one.
Old July 16, 2007, 06:28 PM   #47
PitBull

CRKT M-16 with a plain blade. I carry it everywhere and use it for whatever I need it for.
I've thought about getting a Benchmade but I'd probly lose it. I don't know how many times my CRKT has "ridden up" in my pocket and almost been lost.
I have a CRKT Mt. Ranier that I used to carry but I don't care for the serrated part of the blade. Too much of a hassle to sharpen.
Old July 17, 2007, 08:57 AM   #48
RobertRogers

Oh yes, a knife is very important
Old July 17, 2007, 11:53 AM   #49
The Tourist

"If you have enough room to pull a knife, you have enough room to pull a gun."

USNavy_233, in many ways, I'm not disputing that. My comments were more addressed to defending yourself against a knife attack.

Over the years, I 've heard the same "knife to a gunfight" jokes you probably have. My concern here is that some people might feel invulnerable because they have a pistol, a CCW license and training.

The reason we practice walking in 'condition yellow' is that predators try to find the weakest or the guy who is not paying attention. The aggressor knows what he wants to do, but our moves will be a reaction. This is why lots of people are surprised by "the 21-foot rule."

Clearly, I want to go home safe and sound to my wife. No heroes here--in fact, much the opposite. But if a knife like an Emerson was all I could grab within grappling distance of my attacker, I would certainly aggressively use the knife.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/kunsan.asp
Old July 17, 2007, 09:07 PM   #50
even11

Not necessarily for a defensive item, but 98% of the time I carry a knife. Its a swiss army pocket anchor that I've been carrying on and off since I was about 16 or 17. I've tried the nice single blade tactical folders. I have a beautiful titanium and carbon fiber handmade one I wear on special occasions. But I always go back to the swiss, Just too many useful items on it.

Like many on here, I'm more of a knife collector than a gun collector. Probably just due to the prices more than anything. I bet I have enough knives to carry a different one each day for several months without a repeat.

-Dane

Quote:
And all of my friends and work associates know I have a SHARP knife on me. I get asked to loan it everyday by someone.
Shooter, that is so very true, its not even funny!! Do you warn people that the knife is SHARP before you will loan it to them too? I bet there's 18 different blood types on my blade. (none of my own on this one, thankfully)
lol