The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
bottomscratcher

Falling Plate Load

Looking for the lightest but still effective load for falling plates and bowling pins.

S&W 625-2 5" great DA trigger.

200 gr Rainer Round Nose Plated Lead
Starline Cases
Federal Primers

I have HS6, W231 and Universal Clays on tap.

Thanks
Old October 1, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
OneInTheChamber

How can we answer that question? We don't shoot the same plates, at the same distance, at the same point of impact on the plate. That's something you have experiment with for yourself.

For steel plate competitions, I always load in the mid-high level scale. It's better to deal with a little more recoil then to have to shoot the same plate twice.
Old October 1, 2006, 05:06 PM   #3
HSMITH

4.5 grains of regular Clays for falling plates. If you hit one it will go down.

Never shot bowling pins so don't know about that, seems you would want a really heavy load for pins......
Old October 4, 2006, 06:47 PM   #4
dogfood

bottomscratcher:

I shoot both falling plates and bowling pins ... but, unfortunately, neither very well. As HSMITH hinted, you want a heavier load for pins, and I doubt you want to shoot plates with your pin load (I doubt the guys who take care of the plates want you to do it either).

Of course, there are a thousand variables, but in general you probably want to get 1000 fps out of your 200 gr. bullet for pins. I imagine you could safely do that with HS6, but probably not with 231 or Clays (I don't know, as I don't use these powders, so check the manuals).

For the plates I shoot (up to 25 yds), I would go with the lightest, most accurate load you can find. With a 200 gr. bullet, 750 fps would be plenty. But if you have heavier plates, a stiffer set-up, or more forward lean, you may need more. OneInTheChamber is correct ... you'll really need to try this out for yourself.

dogfood