The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Eazmo

die maintenance. Do i need to ?

do you guys do any regular scheduled maintenance on your die sets?

I have run right at 1000 rounds .38spcl now and feel ready to start loading .357, 9mm and 45acp and .223

using Lee 4 die setups on pistol with plated or jacketed bullets.

I have read about lead in seating die but I'm loading copper.

Do i need to do any cleaning or other maintenance?

or just keep on loadin em up.

Thanks
Old June 13, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I just run a long handled Q-tip up inside from time to time to see if it picks up dirt. Usually the main issue is a seater picking up cast bullet lube and lead shavings. Occasionally jacketed bullets shave on a case mouth and leave a bit of copper behind, but it's not as big an issue. Mineral spirits on Q-tips will often remove dirt and debris without even removing the die from the press. I've got tens of thousands through my Dillon Square deal without ever removing the dies from the press.

If you store dies in a dank basement, you may need to add some rust inhibitor to them for storage. That probably should be flushed off before you use them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 13, 2011, 11:28 AM   #3
gregjc9

I clean them after about 500 rounds. I take the seating stem out and make sure it's clean, as well as the powder through expander on my LNL, primer tray, etc. Gunk will build up and, I find the press just runs better if everything has been cleaned periodically. I like the Hornady One-Shot cleaner and dry lube. Old bore snakes also work well for the insides of the dies, etc.

Greg
Old June 13, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Maxem0815

I use carb cleaner on the dies once a year get the gunk out on my jacketed bullet dies. Most of the time its left over case lube I use a dry lube like one shot works good and is good to lube the dies but it does build up on them.
Mace

Happiness is a belt fed weapon and lots of ammo
Old June 13, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

In addition to the already good suggestions, I save silica gel packs and put on in with every die set I have. I take the gel packs out and set them in the sun to dry out for a day when the weather gets over 90 degrees. I could dry them in the oven but that's more work...

Tony
Old June 13, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Civil War Life

I load in batches of about 500 at a time so every time I take a die set out of the press, I clean and lube it before I put them in their storage box. I clean the lube out when I put them back in the press. I like the idea someone had about using the silica jell packs in the storage box.
Old June 14, 2011, 07:20 PM   #7
GURU1911

Cleaning cartridge dies

I detail strip & clean my dies about every 2-3 years depending on the load volume. I drop them in my ultrasonic cleaner, pour in some "simple green", put the lid back on, & hum them for about 30 minutes.

Blow dry with compressed air, spray lube, & reassemble. The majority of my dies are rcbs & purchased in the mid 1970's.

Yes, keep those dies clean inside & outside to help you create the best hand-rolled ammo that you are capable of making.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 14, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Eazmo

thanks guys