The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2008, 07:34 PM   #1
.357 mag

New S&W shotguns

Does anyone know anything about them. I'm looking at the autos in 20 gauge.

Thanks

Old November 19, 2008, 04:28 PM   #2
.357 mag

Hmmm, no one.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:38 PM   #3
BigJimP

I have not seen one in person - and I'm sure you've seen links on the internet - this is one.

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=11

This guy says they are being made in Turkey - which would make me nervous personally. I have not seen a decent gun come out of the Turkish factories yet - and that includes the Kimbers he mentions in his article ( although the Kimber's are better than some ).

There are so many good shotguns out there now - Beretta, Browning, Benelli - all price competitive - and you pretty well know what you're going to get / why take the risk ? But I can't tell you anything specific about them - sorry ( I felt bad that noone stepped up to at least say that much ).
Old November 19, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
.357 mag

Arn't almost all shotgun barrels made in turkey? I haven't seen any thing like that on the internet. Thats kind of the answer I was looking for. I've heard nothing bad about this guns. but nothing good ether.

The three guns you posted are retailed about $300++ more than the S&W. So I'm not comparing to thoughs guns. I thought the S&W is to compare to at 1100, or a spr453, or a I-12 diamond or a stoger 2000 only the S&W having a lifetime warrenty.

Thanks

Old November 19, 2008, 07:14 PM   #5
BigJimP

I can assure you that not all shotgun barrels are made in Turkey - especially on some of the better guns.

Everybody has a budget / and I didn't mean to come off saying that spending more is the only way to buy a decent shotgun. But there is a big gap between the "Turkish" made guns and Miroku, that I think still makes many of the barrels for Browning, as an example ( and yes, its a big price jump as well ). I think many people would tell you its also a big jump in quality - and companies like Miroku have been tested over time. A new factory in Turkey, who knows what they can do ...

There are a lot of guns being made in Turkey these days - and honestly I can't keep track of them all ( or which corporations owns who these days in the gun industry ..), its confusing.

I don't know anything about S&W's warranty - but just playing devils advocate with you - where do you have to ship the gun to get the warranty work done, how long, who pays shipping, etc. If it takes 3 - 6 months to get a gun back, I'll be less than impressed. If you need a replacement firing pin, a spring, or another minor part, can you get them / who has them in the US ?

If you are an experienced shotgunner - own several shotguns - maybe its ok to take a risk on one of these S&W's - try it out / if you don't like it sell it. But if this is going to be a primary gun - I'm suggesting you look over the used market for a Beretta, Browning, Remington and Benelli - and see if there is something out there you like just as well - maybe for less money than the S&W. In my experience, I will tell you hands down - a used Beretta, Browning or Benelli will command a much higher price in the used market - 10 years from now than any gun made in Turkey I've seen in the last 4 or 5 years. They may get better - but right now - based on the guns I've see they don't look very good. But like I said - I have not seen any of the S&W shotguns / let alone take one apart to take a look inside / so all I can say is buyer beware at this point.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
.357 mag

Thanks,

I own 3 Benelli's. all Novas. And spr310 remington O/U.

Just looking for a mid-grade auto. I heard the 390's are good. What 599.00?
Old November 19, 2008, 08:31 PM   #7
BigJimP

If you like a gas operated gun - I think the older Beretta 390 is a good buy vs their newer version the 391. I also think Remington makes a good gas gun - and there are lots of them around in all gagues. My problem with gas operated guns - is they shoot really dirty - I don't like the noise or how long it takes most of them to cycle - and since I wear glasses, I don't like they way the gas escapes behind my lenses as it passes my face.

Personally, I think Benelli's inertia system is superior to any of the gas guns / and if you buy it in a synthetic stock with their comfort tech recoil supression system - its a soft shooting gun, cycles quickly, etc - but the gas guns are cheaper. I am seeing more used Benelli's around now / I picked up a used Super Sport Benelli last week - and saved about $ 600 over a new one / and it was still in its hard case, had all the accessories and was virtually unfired ( guy didn't like it / so he sold it to a local shop I frequent ).

Good luck / and have fun with your search.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:32 PM   #8
MAX100

I find the Turkish made semi autos to be excellent for the money. I own two H&R Excell Auto 5 shotguns that were made in Turkey. They were reliable from day one. More reliable than my Mossberg 930 which took some breaking in time and a chamber polish. The fit and finish is just as good, if not a little better than the 930. The Turkish manufactures are now making all of their shotguns on CNC machines. Check over at Shotgun World you will find many happy owners of the Turkish autos. Some are the Moderators.

I believe the same Turkish manufacture that makes the S&W also makes some of the Weatherby & the Charles Daly autos.

The Turkish shotguns will be a force to be reckoned with in about five years or so. They will only get better as the market gets larger. They are very popular in the UK.

Two H&R Excelle Auto 5 Turkish made shotguns. The same shotgun as the Verona SX 405 with a different style receiver. The Verona 405 barrels have been cut to 20.5" and tube extensions added. I have the longer Excell barrels also.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; November 19, 2008 at 08:37 PM.