The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
jdscholer

Coyote Fur Prices

We've been chatting about coyote huntin on another thread, and I've been wondering if anyone out there has sold any lately or otherwise know how prices are doing this year. I know cats have been high, how about the dogs? jd
Old October 17, 2008, 08:06 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know of no furrier in any kind of vicinity to me. They would have a very low value I am sure as our pelts really ain't as thick in winter as northern yotes summer pelt. Plus a very high number here have mange and other disorders that further reduce the quality. The only request I have heard of is the EGLIN AFB WMA is askin' for a black 'yote to have mounted to display in the "Jackson Guard" building. This is where you go to buy your wma permit and handle other WMA related business. They have most resident species covered in there with a mounted example.
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
jdscholer

They got black coyotes down there? jd
Old October 17, 2008, 08:48 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There have been many sightings on eglin but they have been asking hunters for quite a few years to take one if they can and none have been bagged yet.
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 11:52 PM   #5
jdscholer

I've heard of dog-coyote crosses. Coydogs. Wonder if thats what you've got? jd
Old October 18, 2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Daryl

JD,

I've heard a lot about coy-dog crosses over the years, and I know it's possible, but out of all the many hundreds of coyotes I've killed, as well as many hundreds more I've seen others shoot, I've yet to see a coyote that looked like it had any kind of domestic dog blood in it.

I'm not sure if it's just really rare in the wild, or if the coyote genes are just so strong that they maintain the coyote look. Knowing a bit about coyote behavior, I'm inclined to think that it's just a rarity in the wild.

Not that it doesn't happen, mind you, but I think it's very rare.

I've seen pictures of a black coyote that was killed. Also one that was sort of a chocolate brown. It's been a few years, and I don't remember where they were taken, but they were interesting pictures. Around here we have the typical redish, yellowish, and even some silver tipped coyotes, but I seldom see any variation of that; even though domestic dogs are frequently loose in areas where there are plenty of coyotes.

Who know for sure, though?

Daryl
Old October 18, 2008, 08:18 AM   #7
jdscholer

I'm inclined to agree with ya Daryl. I think there's two kinds of dogs. Those that actually kill coyotes, and those that get eaten by coyotes.
I did have a guy tell me one time that he used his golden retreiver as a decoy when calling coyotes. Don't know whether to believe it or not. jd
Old October 18, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8
ilbob

I was at the dog park last week. A couple had three dogs with them. Two of them were 1/2 coyote. She is a local dog trainer so she probably has at least some clue about them.

They did have sort of a coyote look to them after she told me. Pretty friendly if a little skittish. About knee high. Looked like your basic mutt to me before I found out what they were.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old October 18, 2008, 11:42 AM   #9
JAXX

Quote:
We've been chatting about coyote huntin on another thread, and I've been wondering if anyone out there has sold any lately or otherwise know how prices are doing this year. I know cats have been high, how about the dogs? jd
JD, I don't know about the pelts, but I do know that here in Park County Wyoming there is a 35 dollar bounty per Coyote that you kill. All you need to do is bring in an ear and you get paid.
Old October 18, 2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Scorch

Out west, coyote pelts are starting to bring some money again. Not like in the 1980s, but may taxidermists will pay $25-$35 in the round (whole body, fur on) for a good pelt, and I jsut had a guy tell me last week that there is another taxidermist paying $50 for prime winter pelts.

There is a black coyote in our area, but where it lives is too close to houses to shoot. But I think I'd like to put an arrow into him. Black, silver, and even white coyotes are rare except in areas where there is plenty of cover or easy food (too easy for prey to spot them).
Old October 22, 2008, 11:59 PM   #11
siv

While we're talking about coyote pelts, does anybody know how I could possibly process a pelt myself?
Old October 23, 2008, 12:05 AM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
does anybody know how I could possibly process a pelt myself?
You can buy tanning solution that you just rub into the pelt. You can get it from Flayderman's taxidermy supplies. It comes with directions.
Old October 23, 2008, 12:10 AM   #13
Coyote Hitman

I get $25 skinned, $20 as a drop off.