The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Domino

Stupid question but I'll still ask

Being still relatively new to reloading I know this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyways. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I was just given some Remington .40SW jacketed hollowpoints weighing 155gr. and having not shot anything from Remington before I don't really have any load date for them. Can Speer's load data for their 155grs cross over safely as they're both jacketed? Speer recommends between 5.8 and 6.5 of AA2. Thanks.
Old September 22, 2006, 04:46 PM   #2
rem33

I have been doing that for about 30 years now so it better be safe. I ask reloaders back then and was told it was OK. I don't worry about brands of cases or bullets of the same weights but I do differentiate between Magnum or regular primers, and watch military cases carefully.
But thats me and my safety I am no expert and would not want to steer you in the wrong direction, just what I have done.
Old September 22, 2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Buckythebrewer

If there both jacketed and weight the same they should load the same .I don't think any question about reloading is stupid.I think that thinking you know when you don't know because you think you know everything is stupid..Almost everyone that answers a question in these forums will be wrong from time to time so that makes us all stupid from time to time .We all need to ask more questions and really think about what we are going to do before we actually do it.We only have so many fingers, eyes, and other body parts. I think I am right on this one,To be safe do start loads and work up.
Old September 22, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
amamnn

I don't think I would be too concerned with any difference in the bullets being that it's a handgun load. Still, I would not go to max powder charge until I had developed some chrony data.
Old September 22, 2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Rimrod

If you're worried you can start with the starting load and work up. There shouldn't be that much of a difference in them.
Old September 22, 2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Domino

Thanks everyone, thats what I thought but was just looking for confirmation. Thanks again.
Old September 22, 2006, 10:51 PM   #7
sleeping dog

Quote:
you can start with the starting load and work up
I've been reloading a few years, and have no idea what that means. So, another dumb question: Work up to what?

I usually make 3 batches. One is a little above minimum, one is in the middle, and one a little less than max. Whichever load produces the best groups, that's the one I make a bunch of.
Old September 23, 2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Buckythebrewer

There are alot of pressure signs you can look for(You need to look for these signs if you load any max loads).Mostly in bottle neck rifle cartridges you see the signs In my experience..There are alot of variables that can cause high pressure and you should not shoot max loads unless you know what to look for with high pressures..Im no expert by any means but I have seen high pressure signs with flattened primers ,loose primers,Heads of cases almost ripped off,extractor marks from high pressures basicly mashing the head into anything it can..There are alot of things to be affraid of because all guns have different tolerances so you have to load to a safe level and no farther than that..So if you don't know what to look for yet don't load to MAX loads.The lee book was the 1st I read and I took his warning serious.Start loads will get you up and running fine and in my experience function fine in most guns(my ar15 works great with any start loads).These are just my experiences and I try to keep it safe when I can.
Old September 23, 2006, 07:58 AM   #9
carl418

I have a similar question as sleeping dog... also, I'm very new to reloading. How do you know whether the published load is max or min? It never seems to say.. For instance, on the Alliant site, it states .357 mag with a 158gr JSP and Unique is 7.8 grain. Is that the max or min? If that's the max, is the starting load 10% less than the max?

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old September 23, 2006, 09:08 AM   #10
arkie2

Carl

I went to the Alliant site and was surprised to see they don't say whether it's a max or min load, just as you said! I would have to believe it's a safe load else they wouldn't publish it. However, my Lee manual lists 7.8 grains of Unique as the max load for 158 grain jacketed bullet so it's best to assume it's a maximum. I recommend you purchase some reloading manuals if you reload, preferably two or three. Manufacturer's Websites aren't a good source for data since they usually only list loads for their own products and, in the case of Alliant, are vague about their recommended loads.
Old September 23, 2006, 12:30 PM   #11
carl418

You advice is right on target... I just ordered 'Modern Reloading' by Richard Lee. Maybe no more stupid questions from me??

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old September 23, 2006, 09:49 PM   #12
Buckythebrewer

For me Lee second edition(because it has more load data) and the 47 edition lyman book is great.If I could I would own every single one in existance but I am not rich .You will be amazed at what you will learn in the lee book.Its like the bible of handloading to me.There is alot of bashing at other manufacturers(other than lee) and alot of it is somewhat valid IMO but just look beyond that and listen to the advice and warnings and you will keep your 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and get a real good understanding of what it takes to achieve good ammo ....By the way,If you ordered the 1st book don't feel that you have to get the second one.Instead buy the latest lyman book or get the A.B.C's of reloading(everybody says its great)..good luck
Old September 24, 2006, 08:41 AM   #13
bergie

Re: Alliant load data

The Alliant data on the website and in their printed guides are max loads.

Taken directly from the first page of their web data, you have to click on the enter button underneath these statements:

"USE THIS DATA WITH ALLIANT BRAND POWDER ONLY.
REDUCE LOADING DATA 10% TO START AND WORK UP
DO NOT EXCEED THE LOADS DISPLAYED ON THE SITE OR ALLIANT'S RELOADERS GUIDE.

By clicking the link below, I understand and will agree to abide by the above precautions."

pretty simple, if you don't see seperate min./max. loads look for these warnings. I don't think I have ever seen any data from manufacturers that don't give this or very similar if they only list one load.
bergie
Old September 24, 2006, 09:03 AM   #14
arkie2

Bergie

Thanks for finding that. I'm still not impressed with their site though as most folks, like I did, will speed right by that warning in search of load data. Printed volumes are superior because they print the min and max load for every entry. Plus, being old fashioned, I just like the feel of a heavy tome in my hands as opposed to electrons speeding around the world wide web.
Old September 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #15
sdb777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino
I was just given some Remington .40SW jacketed hollowpoints weighing 155gr. and having not shot anything from Remington before I don't really have any load date for them. Can Speer's load data for their 155grs cross over safely as they're both jacketed? Speer recommends between 5.8 and 6.5 of AA2. Thanks.
The only difference you might find between the two different bullets are going to be:

#1: Bearing surface, while it may be a very small difference...there will probably be some.
-and-
#2: Diameter, could possibly be 0.001" difference...you might want to use a set of calipers before cranking up the press.

Scott B

George Burns
Old September 24, 2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Kelly J

Domino, Just for information, there is only one stupid question, and that is the one you did not ask!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old September 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #17
temmi

I have seen Major differences between loads using Rem Golden Saber and Horn HP/XTP 230 Gr 451. I would step gown to the min load and work back up.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:09 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...probably a stupid question..." No such thing, except for the one not asked.
"...Work up to what?..." The maximum load given in your manual. If you don't have a manual, you need one.
"...they're both jacketed..." Yep. Load for the bullet weight. Who made it doesn't matter.
"...DO NOT EXCEED THE LOADS DISPLAYED ON THE SITE..." Manufacturer's online data is as reliable as a proper manual if you read the whole page for warnings like this one.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:40 AM   #19
cush63

Great reply's to the question. Always asking is better than not.

There is alot of great advice being given here.
Old October 1, 2006, 10:28 PM   #20
amamnn

Just for future reference: Another difference in the bullet which will affect start pressures in your load is the composition of the jacket. In a handgun load or a rifle plinking load I would never hesitate to use the data from Modern Reloading. For those folks interested in absolute rifle accuracy, the data in the manual published by the bullet maker is the most likely to get you what you want. The powder makers do post some usable data, but keep in mind that they do not test every make of bullet, and do not tell you what they used to get their figures.