The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2006, 09:20 PM   #1
stofferlb

45LC Lee Classic Loader for 454 Casull?

Would this work? I've experience with the little classic loader kit, and I'd like to load 454 casull. Would I be able to use the 45LC kit for such?

Obviously, the dipper and load chart aren't correct, but the rest, are they workable for decapping, resizing, priming, expanding, seating, and crimping?

Larrie
Old September 30, 2006, 12:50 AM   #2
T-Bear

Yes Sir. I load for both and see the same set of equuipment.
Old September 30, 2006, 05:41 AM   #3
stofferlb

To make it perfectly clear

The Lee Classic loader is that cheap, little kit that you use with a non-marring hammer. The Lee Classic is a very slow way to go, but it is VERY adequate when working low volume, and I shoot low volume when it comes to heavy cast bullets.

I did send this same question to Lee, and they initially responded with "possible", but they were referring to their standard press dies. I replied back, and once I restated the issue was with the "hammer" based "Classic" kit, they bluntly responded with a "no". It's an obvious conclusion that the dipper and load chart aren't correct for 454 use, but die, shellholder, decapper, etc are the real question.

So, you've had positive and SAFE results loading 454 with the 45LC Lee "Classic" (hammer-based) kit?

This is great news if true, as I really desire this simple and familiar option.

I've since asked Lee to qualify why its application will not work while the more typical press dies for 45LC can work (I don't have one in hand to understand myself directly).

I really like this forum; referenced it for years, but I've not posted before.

Larrie