The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 22, 2018, 12:08 AM   #1
dvdcrr

700 aftermarket stocks?

Hello

Looking for a good suggestion for a replacement stock for a Remington 700 short action, hinged floorplate. Something that would work well for a 260 SPS hunting rifle. Thank you!
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 22, 2018, 04:27 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

Check Boyds
Old January 22, 2018, 05:19 AM   #3
std7mag

The Rem 700 is like the Chevy of the gun world. Everybody makes parts for it.

If your looking for wood, and keep the price down then it's Boyds all the way.

Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillon. All make composite stocks. And darn good ones.
Then you go to chassis.
Skys the limit on pricing for some.
Old January 22, 2018, 06:13 AM   #4
jmr40

I would, and did go with McMillan. A custom order will cost you between $500-$600 depending on options and take 4-6 months to build.

If you look around in the classifieds on various gun related forums they turn up lightly used quite often, especially for 700's. All 3 of mine were bought 2nd hand between $400-$450. And all of mine are the "Edge" versions which are about 1/2 lb lighter than the standard weight stocks and sell nearer the $600 mark new.

My 2nd choice is the B&C Medalist in the Weatherby style.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...available.html

This version comes in at 2 lbs or mabye a few ounces more. They make a version patterned after the Remington factory stock that is closer to 2.5 lbs.

Just for reference the stock on your gun is about the same weight as the B&C Weatherby pattern stock as is a standard weight McMillan. The McMIllan Edge is closer to 1.5 lbs.

I'm not a fan of Boyd's plywood stocks. Most of them start at around 2.5 lbs and many are over 3 lbs. OK on a heavy magnum rifle or someone putting together a heavy varmint/tactical type rifle, but way too heavy for a standard short action hunting rifle.

Winston Churchill
Old January 22, 2018, 09:09 AM   #5
taylorce1

Remington 700 is easy to find stocks for just find the one you like in the style you want, the two I have the most experience with is McMillan and B&C. I have a few McMillan stocks on my M70 rifles and a B&C on my Remington M700 and M10/110 Savage. McMillan might be more expensive up front but with that you get some things that I've found lacking in the B&C stocks.

First thing is drop in fit, McMillan wins this hands down. As long as you order your inlet correctly from McMillan your barreled action will drop right in no problems. McMillan even states glass bedding isn't necessary for their stocks, but I recommend it with every stock change. Every B&C stock has required some fitting, some I could fix and others I had to take to a gunsmith to finish.

McMillan fits me better! B&C stocks are extremely thick through the wrist and fore end and make them just feel fat. I'm pretty average sized guy, a guy with gorilla hands might like the B&C better as the McMillan might be a little too thin.

Another stock I have is a High Tech or Legendary Arms Works stock. This is a really nice stock and I rate it once finished on par with McMillan. However, these stocks are sent unfinished and they cost about the same as a McMillan to finish if you pay a gunsmith to do it.

Some other stocks I've handled that were really nice are Wildcat Composites again it arrives unfinished and will cost some money to finish. Since you have a short action rifle the Manners EH8 would be an excellent choice, I got to handle M700 6.5 Creedmoor in one of these stocks and I'll say I like it better than my McMillan Hunters Edge stocks. I've even shot HS Precision but only their tactical stocks, but they are quality stocks and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for a hunting stock if the right deal came along.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:39 AM   #6
reinert

HS Precision

I had an old workmate that had a M700 Sendero, and it had a factory stock built by the folks at HS Precision. Nice.

www.hsprecision.com/shop2/rifle-stocks

Click on stocks, then on Remington.
Old January 22, 2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Don Fischer

I got rid of my 700 ADL plastic stock this year. Found a take off Remington stock for it. Gave $85 and simply switched out. Though I'd have to bed it but didn't.
Old January 22, 2018, 01:03 PM   #8
TrueBlue711

I put the Choate Sniper stock on mine (mine's long action, but they make both). Great stock for the money with a ~$200 price tag, but say goodbye to hinged floorplate or magazine capability. That's really my only complaint about it though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington 700.jpg (122.2 KB, 18 views)
Old January 22, 2018, 01:30 PM   #9
GeauxTide

I've been very pleased with Boyds Laminated Prairie Hunters on two 700s and a Savage 16.
Old January 22, 2018, 01:37 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

What's your budget? An Accuracy International "Chassis System" AXAICS Stage 2 starts at $1,661.58 at Midway.
Boyd's wants $137 for an SPS hinged floor plate laminated stock. Lotta options like a thumbhole, colours, LOP(essential), et al.
"...Everybody makes parts for it...." And his brother, all their cousins and everybody else they know. But you still need to decide on a budget.
Old January 22, 2018, 03:48 PM   #11
lefteye

Brown Precision, very high quality. They range from expensive to extremely expensive. Check the website. I put one on my Rem. 700 LH .270 Win. many years ago and it has been perfect.
Old January 22, 2018, 04:16 PM   #12
Rob96

Go with the Magpul Hunter and you ca convert to detachable mags.
Old January 22, 2018, 06:05 PM   #13
old roper

I have few McMillan and some other and I got one of these made by other Company McMillan owns.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...stock-company/
NRA Life Member
Old January 23, 2018, 11:39 AM   #14
emcon5

It isn't particularly sexy compared to some of the other high-dollar fiberglass stocks, but I picked up a Hogue Overmolded stock for one of my rifles a while back. Simple, reasonably light, weatherproof with aluminum pillar blocks, and quite economical.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...ynthetic-black
Old January 24, 2018, 01:39 AM   #15
Pathfinder45

+1 to what Don Fischer said. To heck with plastic. Come back home; come back to Walnut.
Old January 24, 2018, 03:47 PM   #16
blackwidowp61

Only way to go is laminate or walnut. Artificial is just that, artificial. Hard to take pride in an artificial stock, no matter how you try to dress it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old January 24, 2018, 07:10 PM   #17
upstate81

Go on ebay and buy a 700 bdl walnut stock for 100 or less. Ive done this with great success. Refinishing may be required but that is easy to learn and its useful! Free float and go hunting. Very high quality and cheaper than any boyds option.
Old January 25, 2018, 07:55 AM   #18
hooligan1

Manners eh8 is a fine carbon fiber stock, that is made here locally.
Not sure of price or how long it takes to get it to you, but they are super nice.
Old January 25, 2018, 01:33 PM   #19
Tallest

I agree that Boyds is worth a look. I have experience with several, and they all seem like pretty great for the price.

As far as the weight concern, I have a savage 110 on a featherweight thumbhole by Boyds right now, and it is only about 2 oz. heavier than the rifle was with the original walnut. So to me... negligible difference.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 25, 2018, 02:41 PM   #20
reynolds357

Pretty much everyone makes every stock in their lineup for it. Boyds is decent. I have gotten a few good ones from them, but the last two were total crap on the inlet job. Action bolt holes were drilled off center to the barrel channel.
Old January 25, 2018, 09:28 PM   #21
50 shooter

The Super Sniper stocks are pretty nice for money vs options.

A friend put one on his Rem. 700 VSSF and it went from shooting 1/2" groups to one ragged hole. They have an aluminum chassis built in and don't require any fitting.

Definitely an option to look at.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 25, 2018, 11:29 PM   #22
reynolds357

The Choate Ultimate Sniper is an accurate stock, if you happen to like the look and feel of it. I don't. I sold both of mine.