The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 14, 2018, 12:48 AM   #1
Stats Shooter

Its always better to be lucky than good

I have a newish Marlin 1895 GBL with Skinner sights that I really like.
Last week I had it sitting on a table at the range in the case but the latch wasn't locked.....so it bounced off the concrete into the rocks. Scratches galore on the barrel and tube but fortunately the wood and everything behind the barrel was spared.

These barrels on the GBL aren't blued, but have a semigloss black finish. I decided to duracoat it with HK semi gloss as it matches the original best (so I thought). However, the receiver, lever, hammer etc are all blued.
I did a good job prepping and taping and the duracoat job was looking good. Then, as it was drying, it slipped dragging the barrel on my bench and ruining the paint job. And I was out of paint as I had coated the mag tube, forearm metal piece, front sight ramp and post with 4 coats.

Frustrated and not happy with how the HK black looked, I stripped it all off, every component I had painted. To get it off I used stripper and a scratch pad. By the time I was done, I had taken the barrel, tube, and all the other metal parts down to nearly bare metal.

I had some 44/40 laying around and thought "what the heck?" I laid down a coat of bluing on the barrel and grabbed a rag to wipe it off. The rag was halfway soaked with break cleaner that i thought was water. As i wiped the barrel it made it apper glossy with an antique type "distressed". It made it look like somethingout of a western magazine with spots on the barrel where it had rubbed on a saddle or something. I laid down one more coat of bluing followed by brake cleaner again and it darkened it a little but still had the distressed look.

I went ahead and did it to all the other parts like the mag tube, ramp, hood, forearm retainer and hood. Then oiled everything up and reassembled.

It actually looks better than new now as the the barrel and tube are blued as is the receiver, lever, hammer, et,.
It looks like it's older, but with a glossy aged look.

It was pure dumb luck as a result of two mistakes, and I couldn't have done a better job creating an aged look if it tried.....another example of being lucky is better than being good.
Old January 14, 2018, 05:12 AM   #2
TripleGGG

Pictures?
Old January 14, 2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Hawg

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Stats Shooter

Ok ...you demanding sob's

Here it is...hard to tell with interior lighting.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is in this morning's Sun, easier to tell

This is a closeup. If I take a closeup of the receiver or other areas with the light hitting it directly, the whole thing looks like the image....sort of a faded blue look.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's freaking cold so finger prints show up in the photos but under the right light, the whole front end looks like the faded blue of the last image right above where the forearm clamp is.

Last edited by Stats Shooter; January 14, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:55 AM   #5
gw44

Hay that does look good !! ( lucky )
Old January 14, 2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

That turned out really quite nicely. Congrats.
Old January 14, 2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Hawg

Yes it does look nice.
Old January 14, 2018, 05:16 PM   #8
GarandTd

I agree, looks good.
Old January 14, 2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Stats Shooter

Thanks guys....I thought so too. I think it looks way better than paint would have on a gun like this. I'm going to tell everyone else that this was the look I was going for