The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2012, 09:37 PM   #26
mykeal

That guy in Muzzle Blasts was Dutch Schoultz and what he sold was his system for shooting a muzzle loading rifle accurately. He still sells it from a web site: Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System.

Dutch is now in his 80's and doesn't shoot any more. Selling this is his only income besides social security. It's the best $20 I've ever spent on black powder stuff without question.

BTW, he now recommends Ballistol instead of the cutting oil.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:57 PM   #27
deerslayer303

[QUOTEPatches cut at the muzzle are always better.
][/QUOTE]

Could you explain how this is done. I'm guessing you cut a square patch and seat the ball with the short starter, then trim the excess?? Is this right?
Old March 16, 2012, 02:03 AM   #28
arcticap

The ball is started and then the excess patching is cut flush at the muzzle with a patch knife.
Folks often use strips of patch material that have been pre-lubed so there's some excess to hold on to in for cutting it.

Last edited by arcticap; March 17, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:35 AM   #29
Hawg

I use a long strip and seat the ball flush with the muzzle so there's no overlap. You don't want patch material coming over the front of the ball.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:27 AM   #30
mykeal

Like Hawg I use a long strip of patch material (pillow ticking, cut into strips 1 1/4" wide, soaked with 1:6 ratio of Ballistol to water and dried); lay the end of the strip across the muzzle, set the ball on top of the material and start it into the muzzle with my thumb, use a ball starter to push it in until it's flush with the muzzle, hold the strip tight and cut across the muzzle with a very sharp patch knife. I then use the ball starter to ram it down a couple of inches and finish with a solid brass range rod.

Never thought about excess patch material in front of the ball. Seems to me it would get pushed out of the way. But, as Hawg said, seating the ball flush with the end and cutting across the muzzle pretty much cleans it up anyway.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:41 PM   #31
Satokad

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
Another very popular patch material is #40 Drill Cloth which is sold at JoAnn's Fabrics.
Not to resurrect a dead string, but this was very helpful to me tonight. I was in JoAnn Fabrics looking to buy fabric for patches. I asked about the #40 Drill Cloth and they had never heard of it. They looked it up on their computer and it turned out they had a bunch in stock (and on sale at 50% off).
Thanks for the info.
Old November 23, 2017, 04:07 AM   #32
Old Stony

Been using a Murphy's oil soap/Windex mix for many years, both for lubing patches and cleaning. It's always done a good job for me. I lube the patches with a mist as I load the firearm and seating the balls sort of scrubs some of the fouling loose as it goes down the barrel. I shoot complete matches without scrubbing the bore....with good results.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:19 AM   #33
mehavey

I'd seen guys at matches literally "soak" their patch w/ the spray bottle, but your idea of 'misting' sounds more my damp spit-patch regimen
Might try it....

Any particular ratio of Murphy's/Windex ? (ordinarily I'd stick with my standard 7:1 ratio water/cutting oil)
Old November 24, 2017, 05:29 AM   #34
Old Stony

If you take a large bottle of Windex and mix about a cup of Murphy's in it, you will have a pretty long term supply. I keep some small misting type bottles to carry to the range with me, and an even smaller one to take in my hunting bag. The wife saves me stuff like the bottles that eyeglass cleaner comes in and things like that. I soak down some patches with it after a shooting session and clean the bore with them.....never have had a problem with this system.
Old November 24, 2017, 06:43 PM   #35
bamaranger

patches & .32 caliber

I got so sick and tired of dorking with ball size and varying patch material thickness, and so-so accuracy, that I tried some vintage FACTORY .32 Maxiball in my CVA Squirrel rifle. Acurracy was at least as good as my best attempts with PRB and so.....

Track of the Wolf was glad to sell me a Lee .32 maxiball mold, yes they were.
Old November 24, 2017, 10:35 PM   #36
Hawg

The CVA .32 is a 1:48 twist.
Old November 25, 2017, 07:00 AM   #37
mehavey

Berger's twist calculator comes up w/ an SG=.307 for the 32 Maxi@2,000 (unstable as all get-out)
What the heck, I ordered one last night just for fun.

Columbus took a chance.....
Old November 25, 2017, 09:16 AM   #38
B.L.E.

Maxi Balls stabilized just fine in my 1:48 .45 TC. They just didn't group well until I reached maximum loads in that gun, then they were tack drivers.
Maybe that's why they are called "Maxi-Balls".

They also worked quite well in my Ruger Old Army. I could carry them pre-greased and wrapped in Saran Wrap in my pocket, rolled around the bullet and twisted shut like Tootsie Roll candies. When loading, I just squeezed them out of the wrapper.
Old November 25, 2017, 12:05 PM   #39
Hawg

Maxi's worked well in my .50 Investarms Hawken with 1:48 twist and I used them for years til I made the switch to round balls. I've got a .50 CVA St. Louis Hawken that was loaded with one for at least 12 years when I got it. I shot it out but wasn't really aiming at anything so don't know how well it shoots them. I've only shot it that one time.
Old November 25, 2017, 12:21 PM   #40
Satokad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
Been using a Murphy's oil soap/Windex mix for many years, both for lubing patches and cleaning. It's always done a good job for me. I lube the patches with a mist as I load the firearm and seating the balls sort of scrubs some of the fouling loose as it goes down the barrel. I shoot complete matches without scrubbing the bore....with good results.
Do you think this would work with Windex and Castor Oil? Just wondering because I read a few threads where the Murphy's leaves a bit if residue that builds up over time but, more to the point, I have Windex and Castor Oil in the house.
Thanks.
Old November 25, 2017, 05:25 PM   #41
Old Stony

No idea on the Castor oil....never heard of anyone using it. I don't even know if it's water soluble. You can pick up a bottle of Murphy's pretty cheap, and mixed up it will probably last you for years. I've never heard of it leaving a residue before. It is all water soluble, so there is nothing to create problems as far as I am concerned.
There are lots of things out there to accomplish the same task....this is just one that has worked well for me.
Old November 25, 2017, 07:42 PM   #42
Satokad

I tried your technique with the Windex/Castor Oil mix today. Seemed to work OK. The Castor Oil came up in another thread where a guy used a 5:1 mix of denatured alcohol to castor oil. Soak the patches and let them dry. The water evaporated but the oil remained, but the patch felt dry. I tried that type of patch too. It worked but I still had to swab after a few shots.
Thanks.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:31 PM   #43
Old Stony

Letting the patches dry probably isn't going to do you much good. I mist the patch and load it, the purpose being to pick up some of the fouling as I seat the next round ball, and some of the Murphy's will still be there for lubrication purposes.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:54 PM   #44
Satokad

That makes sense. The guy swore by it, but I think your method would be more effective.
Old November 26, 2017, 07:44 PM   #45
Satokad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
No idea on the Castor oil....never heard of anyone using it. I don't even know if it's water soluble. You can pick up a bottle of Murphy's pretty cheap, and mixed up it will probably last you for years. I've never heard of it leaving a residue before. It is all water soluble, so there is nothing to create problems as far as I am concerned.
There are lots of things out there to accomplish the same task....this is just one that has worked well for me.
Old Stoney, I am a fan! I tried your mix today and it worked amazingly well. 10 rounds and not once did I need to swab or put lots of extra pressure to seat the PRB. The only thing I can't figure out is after the 4th shot, they all started flying high. Still around the center vertical line, but about 5" higher. Could that be due to a warm barrel?
Old November 26, 2017, 08:12 PM   #46
B.L.E.

Did the light conditions change, sun going behind a cloud or vice versa?
Old November 26, 2017, 09:30 PM   #47
Satokad

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.E. View Post
Did the light conditions change, sun going behind a cloud or vice versa?
No, it was close to sunset, but the conditions from shot to shot didn't change. I was in a canyon so the sunlight was already gone for the day.
Old November 27, 2017, 06:07 PM   #48
Old Stony

Can't really relate to the shots going high. I'd keep shooting the rifle using the same exact technique for every shot and see if things stabilize for you. The only thing I can think of that might cause something like that is perhaps the creation of a slicker bore as the Murphy's lubes things up...but that is a lot of movement. Keep at it and you'll get a handle on the whole procedure.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:41 PM   #49
iac

I,ve often use long precut strips lubed w/ Crisco.
I sewed a button on the strap of my possibles bag (chest high), cut a slit near one end of the strip, and hang it off the button. To use, pick up the long end and lay it across the muzzle.
Old December 5, 2017, 02:51 PM   #50
Texas Reb

I noticed some of you prefer to cut at the muzzle. Any particular reason for not pre-cutting them?