The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1
H&K4Life

Newbie Question

Hey guys,

I am generally a handgun guy who as finally made the plunge to get a PROPER home defense gun.
I have a 18" Remi 870 (which seems to be the norm), however I am going to start skeet shooting and a see those guys using the LOOOOOOONG barrels/automatics.

Would it be realistic for me to seek out a shotgun that would be IDEAL for both home defense/CQB environments and be practical for skeet shooting?

I would not mind paying for a more expensive model (my limit would be around $1k),however, I just started shooting shotgun, and I don't think my virgin shotgun skills would be a good match for a super, top-of-the line model.
Old December 12, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2
n3twrkm4n

You don't need to purchase a semi in order to shoot skeet. I do just fine hitting the same clay pidgeon three to four times with my pump action. It's just practice.

With that said longer barrels are easier to 'point-and-shoot' than shorter barrels. I've shot skeet with a 24" turkey gun and did well after realizing where I was shooting.

The reason behind the semi-auto's is reduced recoil for those long shooting sessions. The vent rig 28"+ barrel provides easier pointing and the vents provide cooling during long runs of shooting.

Benelli makes some great semi-automatics if that is the way you want to go.

Can't be beat with a nice over/under shotgun either.

The choice is yours really, if you wanted a home defense/skeet gun why not purchase another barrel for your 870? Get a short barrel and keep it on when not out at the range. And have a 28" + vent rib barrel so when you go skeet shooting it's just a twist away.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Old December 13, 2005, 04:41 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For $1K you can buy an 870 Express HD with short barrel, a shiny old WM with pretty wood and a long Remchoked barrel for clays and have money left over for lots of ammo.

Or, just shoot skeet with your present barrel. It's not ideal, but you're not trying to get into the skeet HOF.

Yet.

Clays shooting is as addictive as cocaine, just healthier and legal.

Or, buy a longer tube choked barrel and use it for trap, skeet, sporting clays, barn pigeons,ad infinitum.
Old December 13, 2005, 03:57 PM   #4
warwagon

The fellow who won the ATA a few years ago did it with his 870 field gun, just changed barells for trap.An extra tube for sport might be a wise investment
Blair
Old December 13, 2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Ruger4570

Unless you want a "dedicated" skeet gun. Buy another barrel for your Rem. It takes some practice to get on the doubles, but many have done it. I just prefer an auto or O/U
Old December 13, 2005, 09:02 PM   #6
Blackwater OPS

the two times I have done it I had no problem shooting skeet with my 870MM. I embarrased a few gents with LONG SGs who do it every weekend. I think this is another case of Shot Placement trumping all other concerns. And if you do it with an 18in 870 you will get even more nija points when you out shoot those oldtimers!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old December 14, 2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Ruger4570

All shooting sports are about "shot placement" It is just that the longer barrels assist you in a smooth swing.