The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Miles2014

Dumb Glock Question

I bought a Gen 2 G19 (in MA, civilians can only buy preban Glocks) and sent it to Glock to have it “refreshed and refurbished”. I understand that the grips and some of the cosmetics have changed on the newer pistols, but is a refurbished gen 2 functionally less a Glock than a gen 4 or 5?

Thanks!
Old January 18, 2018, 08:39 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

Nope. My gen 2 19 was a great gun, perfectly reliable. I'd buy another if I came across one.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:43 PM   #3
625TC

Not in the least. You should have a great pistol there. I have had many Glock factory refurbs. Shoot it often and enjoy it.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
elde

Good idea sending it in to Glock. They'll check for the Gen2 relief cuts behind the locking block and modify at no charge if the work has not been done on your gun. (Ref. Gen 2 frame cracking issue.)
Old January 19, 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
TailGator

I would expect it to be fine. It is not uncommon for Glock to replace most or all of the internal parts when they refurbish a pistol. You only lack the newer design features like interchangeable back straps of the 4th generation, but reliability and durability should be excellent. If not, I would talk to Glock about it.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Sevens

It may very well have a better, tougher finish than what they are using currently also. Basically... you may end up with a pistol better than new.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:56 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Assuming that it hasn't been horribly abused, I'd expect it to perform just as well as a newer generation.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:58 PM   #8
wizzamen

The gen 5's don't have finger grooves, so your gen 2 is back in style. In my book a refurbished Glock is just as good as a new Glock. At no point do you have less of a gun just because it's a previous generation, it's more about personal preference. Glock also has to compete with new polymer pistols coming out all the time, I believe they do this by coming out with a new generation every so often (it's a psychological thing, new is always better).
Old January 19, 2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Northof50

I have a Gen2 Glock purchased new in '94 [Back when Glock denied there were "gen" any Glocks]. Wouldn't trade it for anything. They have gone through some changes. But, to worry that any 1 generation Glock is more reliable than another would be wasted energy. I have a Gen 1 Glock 20 and a Gen 4 G27. They all perform like Glocks. I haven't had an issue with any of them. The only thing I've considered was sending my G1 back for a newer frame. Though I do not like the finger groves [typically] I do like the feel of them on the G20 and G21. But, the G2 version of the 19 is my favorite. I like that the 5 went back to the original grip. You've got an excellent pistol
Old January 20, 2018, 12:23 PM   #10
RangerWalker

Glock Gen 2

I was a LEO, firearms instructor and a Glock Armorer. I still have my Gen 1 Glock service weapon, rebuilt it before I retired. Functions perfectly. I do have Hogue grips on it, because I like the finger grooves, plus if shooting in the rain, the grips can be a little slippery. Actually went shooting at the range the other week and still can shoot a 4" margin. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gen 2 at all, even though I can work on my own guns. Many gun shops have Glock Armorers and could rebuild your gun without having to send it into Glock. I went to their headquarters in Smyrna Georgia, it is very impressive, especially the automatic Glock, which is a little difficult to control. Sorry about rambling on.

Last edited by RangerWalker; January 20, 2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

I have a refurb Gen 2 for years. It's fine. There was a recent review of the various generations of G26s on http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/ . The author said that the news ones were great but if you had an old one - they are fine also.

I think that is a general opinion.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:06 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

I bought my gen 2 glock 19 back in 1989. Never did any upgrades to it, and it's shot fine all these years. I love how worn it is. The slide is worn down to the tennifer coating, and the polymer is polished to a shine in certain places from being shot and held so much.

It's genuinely earned that "battleworn" look, not the prewashed jeans look like the new "battleworn" look on some of the newer glocks!LOL
Old January 21, 2018, 05:09 PM   #13
Model12Win

Sure, do it. You'll end up with a better gun IMHO.

I've a SIG P220 police surplus and am thinking on sending it in to get refurbished, SIG does the same thing if you send them in. They re-spring it, do a total detail strip and ultrasonic clean, inspect/replace parts with any wear, install brand new fresh night sights, reassemble and lube to factory specs all for a reasonable fee.

The SIG guys feel this essentially brings the gun's round count back to 0 for all intents and purposes, and I'll bet the Glock process does a great job too.
Old January 22, 2018, 06:26 AM   #14
rodfac

To each his own, Model 12 & High Valley, but I have no problem with the honest wear from holster or hand use that my sidearms have acquired. Some of it brings back fond or not so fond memories of the events of that brought on said wear. Well oiled, and ready for business, they've lost some of their out of the box beauty, but are still deadly as snakes! (And don't get me wrong, that beautiful deep, blue finish on my pinned and recessed Smiths, and a pre-'68 Browning Hi-Power bring a smile as well!) Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 22, 2018, 08:51 AM   #15
Viper225

My first Glock was a new Gen II G23 back in the early 1990's. Great pistol! Since then I have owned about every Generation of G21, but I never really had one I was perfectly happy with. I had a Gen IV G27 for about a year for CC and decided it was not quite as shootable as I preferred. I traded it back in on a Gen IV G23. I am back where I started, and perfectly happy with my G23. I have no issues with a Gen II at all. It would be interesting to try out a Gen II, Gen III, and Gen IV all at the same time to see which one a person really preferred.

Bob R
Old January 24, 2018, 01:13 AM   #16
batmann

I have a Gen III and I doubt if the reliability factor changed. The Gocks Gen I, II and III some of the most reliable semi autos out there.