The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2018, 02:58 PM   #26
cessna123

Thanks so much everyone for the valuable input. I am going to make an offer on the 1894 25-35 however I'm not sure how I will go about explaining to the seller why his gun is not as valuable to others as it is to him. Maybe it has history that is non-negotiable.
Old January 21, 2018, 04:20 PM   #27
Pathfinder45

Good luck with that. There are several 25-35 Winchesters listed on Gunbroker right now to give you some perspective. A brand new, half-octagon for $1,169 hasn't gotten any bids.... In fact, there are almost no bids at all on the 25-35's right now. You should probably make an offer that you expect to be rejected and be willing to walk away, letting the seller know that if he doesn't find a buyer that will meet his price, you would be interested at a price you can afford. Be polite, compliment him for a tastefully restored, though not quite original rifle, leave the seller your number with no bridges burned. You will probably get a call back in a week with a counter-offer. Avoid criticising the seller's high price; rather blame your budget so that the seller can respect your position without being offended at your offer.
Old January 21, 2018, 05:50 PM   #28
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna123
I am going to make an offer on the 1894 25-35 however I'm not sure how I will go about explaining to the seller why his gun is not as valuable to others as it is to him.
Simple you don't, beating a guy up on the flaws of his rifle is a sure way to end negotiations quickly. Simply take cash and let that do all the talking. Either he'll want to take the cash or he'll let you walk. Either way no harm no foul and you both won't have a bad taste in your mouth..

Last edited by taylorce1; January 21, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:19 PM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A line I've sometimes had success with is, "Well, all it's worth to me is $XXX."