The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 24, 2017, 12:36 PM   #1
JDBerg

Holiday Firearms Deals

I’m back east in PA for the holidays and I’m seeing some deals on the used gun shelves. Yesterday I picked up a LNIB Sig P239 9mm SAS Gen2 with Siglites for $550.00. I’ve been wanting one of these for a while and I honestly don’t think this one has been fired much if at all, it looks brand new with everything in the box. Had to have it.

I’m saw a decent Glock 22 for $200, and a nice Glock 21 for $299.00. These types of deals in used firearms are nowhere to be found back in CO where I live now.

Last edited by JDBerg; December 24, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 24, 2017, 05:48 PM   #2
tallball

"I saw a decent Glock 22 for $200..."

I would jump all over that one!
Old December 24, 2017, 08:06 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Yeah, IDK what the thing is with Pennslyvania and cheap guns, but it seems most of the online deals I've scored have come from PA. IDK if it's that the gun culture in PA is so strong that most everybody already has all the guns they want and sellers are desperate for a sale or if the gun ownership in PA is so low that sellers are desperate for a sale.

Whatever it is, $200 for a Glock 22 Gen 3 or 4 is worth it. Gen 2 I would pass due to the kaboom issues.

$300 for a G21, if it's a Gen 3, is a steal.
Old December 25, 2017, 12:18 AM   #4
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers:
$300 for a G21, if it's a Gen 3, is a steal
The Glock 21 & 22 were both Gen3’s
Old December 25, 2017, 01:46 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Gen 2 I would pass due to the kaboom issues.
What is the difference between Gen 2 & 3 that reduces the chance of a kB!/catastrophic failure?
Old December 25, 2017, 02:11 AM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
What is the difference between Gen 2 & 3 that reduces the chance of a kB!/catastrophic failure?
From what I've gathered, the Gen 2's didn't have as much chamber support.

Could be Gen 1's, but I don't know if Gen 1's were available in 40.
Old December 25, 2017, 02:53 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

The only production Gen 1 Glocks were G17 pistols. There were a very few Gen 1 Glock 19 pistols built on modified G17 frames, but I don't believe they would qualify as production guns.

There's adequate case support on the Gen 2 guns when used per the manufacturer's recommendations with good quality factory ammunition. It could be argued that there isn't enough case support in any gun if those guidelines aren't followed.

I wouldn't hesitate to fire any Gen 2 Glock in any caliber as long as it's in shootable condition and being used with good quality factory ammo.
Old December 26, 2017, 08:27 PM   #8
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa:
I wouldn't hesitate to fire any Gen 2 Glock in any caliber as long as it's in shootable condition and being used with good quality factory ammo.
My gunsmith in CO has serviced my Gen3 17 & 19 and he told me the same thing about a Gen2 17 that I could have bought a few months back. The price wasn’t quite right so I passed on it anyway.