The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
jaymag

buckshot out of rifled barrels?

I Know it sounds stupid.Here in Mass.buckshot is legel during deer season.I like to use a few buckshot rounds after my slug.The deer will running or dead.This is a fact!Buckshot does not stop whitetails very well by itself.But when they take off after that slug, it's somthing extra to hit them with.Maybe add a little more blood sign.Can you fire a few buckshot rounds out of a rifled barrel.Will it do harm to the gun.Is there certain types that work better in a rifled barrel.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:14 AM   #2
NB4ZOT

I think ALL shot out of a rifled barrel forms a doughnut shape pattern with the shot. Everything in the middle is till standing. I don't think it hurts your barrel though. I often use a round of cheap bird shot as a fouling shot. Then go to the expensive sabots.
Old November 30, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

In answer to your last question: no. Any buckshot load will pattern poorly from a rifled barrel. However it can be done. I just wouldn't expect hits. The solution if you must have a flexible platform, is to use an improved cylinder bored barrel with iron sights for both slugs and buckshot. Or just use slugs,which are superior to buckshot for deer hunting,IMHO.
Old December 5, 2005, 06:55 PM   #4
SemperKnight

I personnally have ruined a slug barrel shooting buck through it.. Don't do it.
Old December 6, 2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I would think if the deer was running you would have just as good a chance to hit him with another slug than a load of buckshot. As mentioned above, the rifling will throw the pattern all over the place and probably lessen your chances of a hit rather than increase them.
Old December 6, 2005, 05:08 PM   #6
dakotashooter2

I'm curious as to how one "'ruines" a modern STEEL barrel by shooting LEAD shot thru it.
Old December 6, 2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Dakotashooter2: I wondered about that too. Other than having a lot of lead build up it is hard to immagine lead shot messing up a steel barrel. Sounds a lot like using an aluminium cleaning rod and messing up a rifle bore. I find both hard to beleive. I also find it hard to beleive anyone would shhot that many rounds of buckshot before he figured out ,, it doesn't work worth a damn and quit shooting the loads. Oh well, I am not trying to start an argument here
Old December 10, 2005, 03:25 AM   #8
SemperKnight

How the heck should I know? It was a piece of crap street sweeper. Maybe that will explain it. All I know is the barrel warped and that the barrel had slug groves in it. All I shot through it was slugs and 00 buck interchanged.
Old December 10, 2005, 07:38 AM   #9
n3twrkm4n

Didn't know street sweepers came with rifled barrels?
Old December 10, 2005, 07:49 AM   #10
n3twrkm4n

[Forum double post] Warns you about posting two messages within 60 seconds then posts it anyways... WTH