The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 10, 2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Nathan

Strikefire to Strikefire 2

I converted because I liked the button location better. Anybody else convert? I need to post up more of a review as I'm less impressed than I thought I would be!

MOUNT
It is fine, but the original seemed to have a better finish. The nut was harder to mar also. The II nut is a different finish....why?

LENS CLARITY
about the same.

DOT
While it is the same size dot, the brighter II dot flares a bit more and it seems like the adjustments are courser. Also, it is sooooo bright it leaves a red ring in the tube. The original was less bright, but never did that.

EXTERIOR
Basically the same, but the II is a bit more matte.

BUTTONS
Then buttons are easier to press on the original. I couldn't hardly turn it on in the cold w/o a tool.

Last edited by Nathan; December 10, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 05:14 PM   #2
marine6680

I got upgraded when I sent the original in for warranty.

Its basically the same but for the button change... It's an ok red dot for what it is...

I would rather go with a PA or Sig Romeo for the under $200 price point myself.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Mobuck

I have both but prefer the II version.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:36 PM   #4
GLK

I have the Vortex Strikefire II OPMOD model in Tan with flip up lens caps & cantilever mount, I bought it online NIB from Dvor . It was on sale/clearance and came with "free shipping" for $149.00. It is a good looking sight great for opportunistic varmint shooting and a great range toy for build testing and such. I will always be a T&A(Trijicon/Aimpoint)man, but goodness it is amazing what $150.00 buys technology wise these days.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Metal god

I also got the ll when i sent the original in for repair . That was after sending another Vortex product back . Now the strikefire just sits in its box . I never mounted it and went with a PA advanced micro dot instead .

The only two Vortex products I’ve owned both had to be sent back . I no longer have confidence in vortex . When they worked they worked very well but they both stopped working at some point and these were not heavily used .

The fact i never mounted it means i never even noticed there were differences. Maybe they upgraded the internals .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 15, 2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Mobuck

"BUTTONS
Then buttons are easier to press on the original. I couldn't hardly turn it on in the cold w/o a tool."
Those "easier to press buttons" on the original tend to get "pressed" while in the case resulting in a dead battery later. I sold my "original" with the caution that the battery should be removed for storage.