The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2008, 06:24 AM   #26
Oilburner350

I think you shold try them out and pick the one that you like the best. After all it is your money

I have had Remington 870's. Not my favorite gun in the world. One of the major reasons they have been around so long is the price. You get what you pay for.

I'm not a fan of the 500/590's. Other people love them. That's why you should try them.

I own some Ithaca 37's and some Browning BPS guns. I like them. But I also have long arms. These guns may be frustrating if you have short arms. The Ithaca 37 has been around longer than the 870.

Also don't rule out an old Model 12 Winchester if you find one reasonable and it fits you well. The Model 12 is a nice shotgun. I would take one over an 870 any day.
Old August 8, 2008, 04:06 AM   #27
WacosSon

Quote:
Of those options, I would always choose the 870. Not that the others aren't OK shotguns, the 870 is just better than the others. There's a reason it has been around for 50 years.

If you really like the Ithaca 37, take a look at the Browning BPS. It is an update of the original JMB design, and like the Ithaca, it loads and ejects out the bottom.

As far as holding 8 rounds, you will have to get a mag extension no matter which one you get, but last time I checked you didn't need 8 rounds for trap and small game hunting.
Correction: The 870 is the same as the others, he just prefers it. Also, a 590 should hold 8 rounds without having to add a mag ext. its a 7+1.

Also keep in mind that in several states a dowel is required for bird hunting - limits your mag to 2+1 so an 8 round ain't gonna do ya much good.
Old August 8, 2008, 01:19 PM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Get the one that FEELS best. While I love 870s, all those dogs hunt...