The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2017, 05:12 PM   #1
MSD Mike

Stuck Case Removal

Everyone has little things they learn as time goes on so I thought I would pass along something that worked for me.
I stuck a .223 case in a sizing die the other day. To get it out I put the die in plastic jaws in my vice and drilled out the primer pocket. I then used an easy out made to remove broken or stripped bolts in the primer pocket. It grabbed the the case and easily removed it from the die.
Probably better ways but this one worked for me.
This advice is worth every penny you paid for it
Second part of the lesson is to be sure and lube rifle cases before sizing.

Mike
Old May 23, 2017, 08:42 AM   #2
F. Guffey

When it comes to drilling: I remove the die from the press, after removing the die from the top of the press I screw the die back into the press through the bottom with the die upside down. After drilling the primer/flash hole I remove the primer punch/neck expander assemble.

I make stuck case removers that are different, I use a straight pull puller instead of the 'twist-um-out' pullers.

In line pullers require two wrenches, I choose to use one hand.

F. Guffey
Old May 23, 2017, 09:07 AM   #3
MSD Mike

Thanks for the tip about installing the die upside down in the press. The vice is a bit awkward and prone to damaging the dies. Hopefully I wont stick another one but things happen.

Mike
Old May 23, 2017, 02:00 PM   #4
RC20

There are those who stick them and then there are those who stick them again.

I don't stick one too often but stick I do

RCBS makes a nice tool to do the same thing.

I actually drilled one out before I knew about the RCBS, now that is fiddly work without chewing up the die.

You can make your own as well. Fine thread bit and a spacer.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:41 AM   #5
DEMOLITION MAN

Just use Lee dies. Loosen lock-nut, drive out decapping pin with a few snacks with pin punch, remove case from pin, done.
All without remove die from press
Old June 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
Just use Lee dies. Loosen lock-nut, drive out decapping pin with a few snacks with pin punch, remove case from pin, done.
All without remove die from press
Or remove the die from the press and then invert the die and screw it into the press from the bottom. After installing the die upside down raise the ram, if the case was shoved into the die with the ram when it stuck it should be possible to shove it out with the ram. I have Lee dies, I do not use them but I have them just in case so it is not likely I am going to stick a case in a Lee die.

I do have other dies, I have dies that want to keep ever case that is shoved into them, after I measured the dies I decided the dies were mistakes. I know, I could have sent them back, but; if small base dies are a good thing these dies have got to be the best dies in the world because they go beyond small base.

I do not suggest a reloader snack while reloading and I suggest they was their hands and I understand the key board with the 'n' and 'm' being next to each other.

F. Guffey
Old June 17, 2017, 02:31 PM   #7
DEMOLITION MAN

Lee dies are designed for easy stuck case removal with that method. I would not suggest using the ram, some cases get pretty stuck.
BTW, I always snack while reloading.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:07 AM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
BTW, I always snack while reloading.
I understand the philosophy of sergeants, it is the same as the philosophy of reloaders. I do not agree with the sergeants, I do not agree with reloaders so if you snack while smacking wash your hands often.

Smacking the primer punch/sizer plug assemble, there is a chance the top of the assemble will upset, I do not want my dies to take on the appearance of having been hammered on.

And then there was Ol' Ben Franklin, he was not a doctor but he had seen things, one day he went overseas, while there he was asked what was wrong with this large group of workers; he asked if they were print setters, he asked because the afflicted reminded him of most of the type setters he had seen everywhere, Ol' Ben Franklin had seen things. And now? Phossy jaw of the body.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/facts...l-disease.html

F. Guffey
Old June 18, 2017, 10:21 AM   #9
cptjack

USE 1/4 TAP and tap threads where the primer was, find a socket which is larger than the diameter of cartridge and sits on bottom of die, thread bolt through socket and into tapped hole use washer under bolt head ,turn bolt and cartridge is pulled into socket. ,remove case
Old June 18, 2017, 11:41 AM   #10
F. Guffey

captjack, I choose to avoid rotating the case, I use the two wrench method, I hold the bolt/stud that is screwed into the die and then turn a jam nut. The two wrench method pulls the case straight.

One hand, two wrenches is used when working with hydraulic lines and fitting.

F. Guffey
Old June 22, 2017, 04:52 AM   #11
hooligan1

And meanwhile my "Stuck case remover" sets on the shelf and looks on.......RCBS Case Lube and Roll pad......no stuck cases, ever.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:57 AM   #12
cptjack

never say never
Old June 22, 2017, 09:09 AM   #13
mojoracing

I agree, rcbs pad and lube, never a problem.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:40 PM   #14
RC20

Quote:
And meanwhile my "Stuck case remover" sets on the shelf and looks on.......RCBS Case Lube and Roll pad......no stuck cases, ever.
I would rather a rare stuck case than that gooey 70s roll pad setup!
Old June 22, 2017, 03:03 PM   #15
hooligan1

Never ever....a stuck case...
Old June 22, 2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Panfisher

RC20, I 110% agree. I was going to buy one, and looked at the lics, duh I can make my own. Granted it takes me a while to find all my parts/tools but it gives me time to cuss and be mad, then get it out of my sysem. the actual doing goes pretty quick.