The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2017, 01:45 PM   #1
dakota.potts

UPS Store Won't Ship Any "Gun" Parts

A couple of weeks ago I had to send off some parts for a potential job. A piece of steel I had turned to fit a Remington 700 receiver and chambered (literally just a piece of scrap steel) and a rectangular delrin block that I had machined with some slide serration style cuts. They gave me a very hard time about this, being "gun parts" (I had listed them as "machine prototypes" on the packing slip). I finally got to ship them, though.

Today I went to ship off a scope I had sold. I put it, with the mounts, in the box and taped it up and brought it in for them to pack it in some protective media and ship it off. About halfway through the paperwork, they inform me that they won't take it because it's a "gun part". Despite my insistence that it's no more a gun part than a hand held astronomy telescope, they were steadfast in refusing to ship it because it goes to a gun in some form.

Just a heads up for anybody trying to ship through the UPS retail stores. Don't expect any common sense or mercy.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2
JWT

That doesn't seem to comply with UPS regulations as outlined on their website:

"UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)"

I know firearms can only be shipped from the UPS terminals, not their stores. But don't see that listed for parts.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:19 PM   #3
rickyrick

I've done it, no problem.
I have had packages deferred to ups stores. Some are very conspicuous about the contents.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:20 PM   #4
dakota.potts

I raised that point, but there is apparently some division between UPS shipping centers and UPS retail stores which are individually owned and have a different set of policies. I don't understand it all, but I was told by both managers present that UPS retail stores will not take anything gun related. They told me they had turned away people with water guns and wooden model guns as well
Old May 4, 2017, 02:21 PM   #5
BarryLee

Aren’t these stores franchises and not actually owned by UPS? If so it could simply be the policy of that individual franchisee.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 4, 2017, 02:23 PM   #6
dakota.potts

Barry, I believe you are correct or close. After some googling, it appears this is a very common issue with the UPS store locations, prompting a lot of suggestions to simply go to the hubs or use a different carrier altogether.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:24 PM   #7
mavracer

Yep been that way for a while, luckily the UPS hub is near the indoor range I frequent and I avoid the UPS store.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 4, 2017, 02:49 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I had major issues with UPS stores in the Salt Lake City area. And going to the hub/terminal was quite a pain, due to where I lived.

The local "Store"​ wouldn't even ship a stock.

Eventually, I gave them "other" answers:
A rifle stock would be a, "decorative wooden fixture."
Barrels became, "high pressure steel tubing."
Small things became, "rotation inducer parts"

And then the local post office finally re-opened, and I didn't have to deal with UPS stores any more.

(For the record: All of the above is only in reference to "uncontrolled" items -- not receivers or firearms.)
Old May 4, 2017, 04:14 PM   #9
2ndsojourn

You shoulda gone postal.

You know via USPS.
Old May 4, 2017, 04:17 PM   #10
Targa

I use the local FEDX store, they send off entire firearms as long as bullets are not with it.
Old May 4, 2017, 04:36 PM   #11
FAS1

You would think the UPS store would have to accept UPS shipping terms and regulations to get a franchise. Sounds like they are going rogue.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:15 PM   #12
Damon555

When I ship things like that the place that ships them has no idea what's in the box.....and even when you need to describe the item the terms gun, firearm or anything similar do not get mentioned. I always package things myself.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:16 PM   #13
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas1
You would think the UPS store would have to accept UPS shipping terms and regulations to get a franchise. Sounds like they are going rogue.
UPS Store is NOT franchised by UPS. They are totally separate entities. The UPS Store franchisee is only required to accept UPS Store regs and policies.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Armed_Chicagoan

UPS Store used to be "Mailboxes Etc.". Not really UPS.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:42 PM   #15
jonnyc

Another reason I made myself a Fedex account a few years ago. Seal the box, print out the label, drop it off at any Fedex location.
Old May 4, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
rickyrick

I needed to cash a very substantial check and deposit it into a far away bank.

I found out that UPS does just that; the only catch they told me on the phone was it must be a UPS owned UPS Store.

I called my neighborhood UPS Store and asked if they were UPS owned, he said yes... but, it doesn't matter he said, they are all the same anyway.

So I trotted on down there with my big fat check and it went to my bank account instantly.

So apparently, not even UPS knows.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:02 PM   #17
FITASC

The UPS Store is the old MailBoxes, etc. and they are not allowed to handle firearms; that said, a scope is nothing to do with it
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 4, 2017, 08:15 PM   #18
Gunplummer

I stay away from UPS. I have had issues with having to sign for stuff, such as ammo. It may be who sent it, I don't know. FEDEX just throws it on the back porch no matter what it is or who sent it.
It is always good policy to list it as clock parts, window blinds, or whatever. If it goes through a major city listed as gun parts, it will probably be stolen.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:24 PM   #19

I use UPS most of the time. I NEVER go to a UPS store though to ship anything.

Most working there really don't know anything about firearms regs. and shipping.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:26 PM   #20
Chris_B

Quote:

Most working there really don't know anything about firearms regs. and shipping.

...or about dealing with customers that actually do
Old May 5, 2017, 07:01 AM   #21
Handloader109

Gee wizz! Easy to fix!
Get box,
Package item,
Go online,
Pay and print label at ups.com
Attach label to box
Drop box into a UPS drop box
Done!
Old May 5, 2017, 08:00 AM   #22
Onward Allusion

UPS Stores are franchises and not corporate owned. BTW, why would you send gun parts via UPS? Regular UPS ground is generally quite a bit more than USPS Priority boxes.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:16 AM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion
BTW, why would you send gun parts via UPS? Regular UPS ground is generally quite a bit more than USPS Priority boxes.
You beat me to it. Most gun stuff other than long-gun barrels and stocks will fit in the less-expensive Small or Medium boxes. They're generally my first choice of shipping methods.

There's no significant restriction on shipping gun parts via USPS so long as there is no frame or receiver nor any live ammunition or primers in the package.

Another plus is that they don't charge outrageous premiums to and from AK and HI, so the rates are more predictable for online sales.
Old May 6, 2017, 08:05 AM   #24
ZEBRARANGER

My local UPS store owner is a gun guy, he wouldn't have any problems shipping the items you listed. But, I would imagine there are those that are not, and make up there own rules.
Old May 6, 2017, 08:16 AM   #25
Texas45

I pack the any items I want to ship myself complete with labels etc. I never tell the ups man whats in any of them. I pack it with materials obtained from my work shipping dept and tender it to ups through our company shipping dept. I know not everyone has that option. We are talking "parts" not firearms so I am not obligated to disclose the contents as long as its not a DG or considered a HAZMAT item they dont need to know and your not required to tell um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk