The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 30, 2017, 10:32 AM   #26
tallball

It depends on the person. My hands are the size of cabbages. The ones I like best, my hobbit-sized friend can't even shoot.

It depends on the situation. I prefer shooting 7.5" barrels, but you can't really cc them or use them in a car. My snubbies can go pretty much anywhere, but they will never be as accurate (for me) as my more massive revolvers. 44 magnums are slow for follow-up shots. 38 special might bounce of off certain barriers.

That is certainly a nice revolver. I like the square butts (and big butts in general) better, too.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:54 AM   #27
Salmoneye

If I HAD to give up every other gun I own, I could get by just fine with my well used 1988 KGPF-340...

GP-100
4"
Half Lug
Fixed Sight

Food, or fighting...I would not feel undergunned...

Old April 30, 2017, 11:05 AM   #28
Model12Win

Not a fan of that square butt on a 3" gun, and making the barrel slab side while cutting it down makes no sense for recoil control or follow up shots. Perfect fighting revolver? Glad you think so, but many of us don't.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:18 AM   #29
Mr.RevolverGuy

Perfect for you is different than perfect for me. We all have different preferences.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:38 AM   #30
ThomasT

Revolverguy you have a nice gun with nice upgrades. I have a model 65 and for just a little bit I wondered...

But I think this gun would work just as well and not have the supposed weakness of a split forcing cone. Add the compact Ruger grip available from Ruger and it would also be an ideal fighting gun.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/1753.html

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/
Old April 30, 2017, 11:44 AM   #31
Mr.RevolverGuy

I am with you on the forcing cone. I shoot nothing but 158gr in it so less likely for it to happen. That Wiley Clapp is nice.

I wish those grips would fit on a Redhawk frame.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:45 AM   #32
dahermit

Quote:
The Perfect Fighting Revolver
I do not understand the terms, "Fighting Revolver". I think in terms of a "defensive revolver". If I anticipated being in a fight, I would likely choose an auto like a Browning H.P. or (shudder), a Glock. However, when it comes to a "defensive revolver", I think in terms of something that I can jerk out of my pants pocket (revolver with no hammer spur) and get a shot off at a threat at nearly point blank range as I scrambled to get out of the area. In short, I want nothing to do with a gun "fight" and thus have no perceived need for a Fighting Revolver. Nevertheless, the gun looks like a neat fun gun.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:47 AM   #33
dahermit

Duplicate post...deleted.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:52 AM   #34
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
I do not understand the terms, "Fighting Revolver". I think in terms of a "defensive revolver". If I anticipated being in a fight, I would likely choose an auto like a Browning H.P. or (shudder), a Glock. However, when it comes to a "defensive revolver", I think in terms of something that I can jerk out of my pants pocket (revolver with no hammer spur) and get a shot off at a threat at nearly point blank range as I scrambled to get out of the area. In short, I want nothing to do with a gun "fight" and thus have no perceived need for a Fighting Revolver. Nevertheless, the gun looks like a neet fun gun.
I agree it is best not to ever be in that situation and I will run like forest to avoid one.

Apologies on the title some things never change Marines "Fire Fight" terminology etc or my handgun is for fighting my way to my rifle etc.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:41 PM   #35
Danoobie

First off, these are all very nice pistols.
My preference for a fighting pistol, since it doesn't
have to be concealed, is the 6" S&W Model 29.

I feel that there's no point in losing MV, when you
don't have to hide the gun, anyways.
Old April 30, 2017, 02:44 PM   #36
Real Gun

Quote:
First off, these are all very nice pistols.
My preference for a fighting pistol, since it doesn't
have to be concealed, is the 6" S&W Model 29.

I feel that there's no point in losing MV, when you
don't have to hide the gun, anyways.
There is the problem of concealing it to get to the "fight". Strutting around with a Dirty Harry gun on your belt or vertical shoulder rig is probably not very common.
Old April 30, 2017, 04:16 PM   #37
ThomasT

I understand those that think the only modern "fighting Gun" is a high cap semi-auto and would feel naked if limited to "just" a revolver. But if you remember the Miami shootout in 1986 two FBI agents were killed by two bank robbers. The fight was not ended with a shotgun, AR, or high capacity auto. It was ended by a cop armed with a 357 magnum revolver and the will to use it.

I would not and do not feel undergunned with a 5-6 shot revolver. The clip below about the ending of the Miami gunfight reinforces what you have read many times before. Its the Indian, not the arrow.

"Platt attempted to start the Grogan/Dove car. Mireles drew his .357 Magnum revolver, moved parallel to the street and then directly toward Platt and Matix. Mireles fired six rounds at the suspects. The first round missed, hitting the back of the front seat. The second hit the driver's side window post and fragmented, with one small piece hitting Platt in the scalp. The third hit Matix in the face, and fragmented in two, with neither piece causing a serious wound. The fourth hit Matix in the face next to his right eye socket, travelled downward through the facial bones, into the neck, where it entered the spinal column and severed the spinal cord. The fifth hit Matix in the face, penetrated the jaw bone and neck and came to rest by the spinal column.[23] Mireles reached the driver's side door, extended his revolver through the window, and fired his sixth shot at Platt. The bullet penetrated Platt's chest and bruised the spinal cord, ending the gunfight."
Old April 30, 2017, 04:38 PM   #38
Bob Wright

If I had to go with a little revolver, it would be this one, a Model 586:

But for just protecting my hide, this is my everyday companion:

Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

Bob Wright
Old April 30, 2017, 05:21 PM   #39
Super Sneaky Steve

A fighting revolver should not have adjustable sights.
Old April 30, 2017, 06:36 PM   #40
gbclarkson

If I were given a blank check and asked to buy the perfect fighting revolver I would likely buy a 7- or 8-shot .357 S&W from the performance center.
Old April 30, 2017, 06:46 PM   #41
jmr40

I still think a factory Smith 65 with 4" barrel would be about as good as it gets.

Winston Churchill
Old April 30, 2017, 07:16 PM   #42
jetinteriorguy

Other than concealed carry, I consider my 8-shot S&W Model 627 about as good as I would want for a "combat" revolver. Handles full house magnums no sweat, very accurate, and would make a heck of a club if you can't end a fight with eight 158gr HP's at 1400-1500 fps. Plus being an N frame it will take about all you can dish out in a .357. And for me the added bonus of my Henry with eleven more rounds.
Old April 30, 2017, 07:40 PM   #43
MrBorland

I dig the OP's massaged M65, and agree a 3" Model 65 is (almost) the perfect "fighting revolver". Here's mine - a factory & stock 3" Model 65 with a buttery-smooth factory action:

Only addition of an ejector rod shroud (a la the Lady Smith variant; and possibly converted to DAO) would be needed for the perfect all-aound "fighting revolver", IMO.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:06 PM   #44
Mr.RevolverGuy

Nice Mr.Borland Nice
Old April 30, 2017, 08:29 PM   #45
ThomasT

Quote:
I am with you on the forcing cone. I shoot nothing but 158gr in it so less likely for it to happen. That Wiley Clapp is nice.

I wish those grips would fit on a Redhawk frame.
The GP I linked to in my earlier thread shows out of stock. But a stainless 3" is still available.

Those compact grips I linked to say they will fit some older Redhawks but call first. So you may have a chance of them fitting depending on the gun you own.

For me this would work just as well as the WC version.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/1715.html
Old April 30, 2017, 08:35 PM   #46
ThomasT

Quote:
I still think a factory Smith 65 with 4" barrel would be about as good as it gets.
Yep. Thats why mine with a 4" barrel will remain stock. Mine was a police turn in and somewhere along the way it has been bead blasted. I really like it. But it has a Pachmayr finger groove grip and I don't like that. I need to find a service (?) wood grip and add a Tyler T-Grip.

Last edited by ThomasT; April 30, 2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old April 30, 2017, 08:54 PM   #47
Deaf Smith

Perfect fighting revolver?

Ok, start with my S&W 625 3 inch .45 ACP.

1. Lighten the grip frame (without weakening it.) Some holes, flutes, and scallops to take some metal off.

2. Thin the barrel and take off the shroud around the ejector rod (but keep the front part that locks the cylinder.)

3.Thinner trigger with smooth pad.

4. Cylinder and Slide shop extreme duty rear sight.

That and a good action job!

One can use +P .45 ACPs or .45 Supers.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S625a.jpg (75.2 KB, 631 views)
Old April 30, 2017, 10:53 PM   #48
WIN71

I carried a 4" M 19, however

I like this one. A fighting handgun is not a target handgun.
Quote:
I dig the OP's massaged M65, and agree a 3" Model 65 is (almost) the perfect "fighting revolver". Here's mine - a factory & stock 3" Model 65 with a buttery-smooth factory action:
Old May 1, 2017, 07:11 AM   #49
Real Gun

Looking at some of these choices of hefty guns reminds me of the axiom about the one you left at home.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:14 AM   #50
Real Gun

Quote:
A fighting revolver should not have adjustable sights.
But a versatile revolver might.