The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2017, 11:55 AM   #26
aarondhgraham

Someday,,,

Someday,,,
I'm gonna hafta get me one of those guns.

I do have a pristine Model 12 though,,,
Which is just a Model 10 with an alloy frame.

What I really want though,,,
Is a cased set containing a 10, 12, & 64.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 1, 2017, 01:46 AM   #27
Trooper Joe

I just posted this on several threads but couldn't resist posting it again here. I agree with all the comments about the Model 10. Along with this heavy barrel, I also found a like new "pencil barrel" model last year in Florida also.

By the way, I found this almost new model 10 last year in Florida (for some reason I did not keep mine when I retired from the State Police in 1987).

Old May 1, 2017, 06:15 AM   #28
lamarw

I have kinda completed my Model 10 collection in that I have a snubbie example, a factory nickel model, standard barrel in both 4 & 5", and a heavy barrel example. I say "kinda" since I will always snap-up another one at a good price. In my view, they are the iconic revolver.
Old May 1, 2017, 06:53 PM   #29
deerslayer303

My Model 10 heavy barrel is my best shooting (for me) and most worn revolver. She looks like she's been through it. But boy it will put em in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2017, 07:19 PM   #30
ThomasT

Quote:
I have kinda completed my Model 10 collection in that I have a snubbie example, a factory nickel model, standard barrel in both 4 & 5", and a heavy barrel example. I say "kinda" since I will always snap-up another one at a good price. In my view, they are the iconic revolver.
Well you're close. But you need a 6" model. I have one with the original factory grip that was a trade with a buddy. I got the model 10 6" and he got his Ruger MKI target model back. He used it to pay for work done on his house way back about 1990. He always wanted his gun back. We a re both happy.

The same bud bought a police turn in from Bud's gunshop that is pretty rough. It looks to me like it started life as a skinny barrel and somewhere along the way got a heavy barrel installed. It doesn't quite match up at the front of the frame like it should. But it does shoot. It is probably his favorite handgun. He said if it was all he had for a pistola he would be OK with that.

Not a heavy barrel model 10 but I have a model 65 I picked up about 5 years ago for $285 off GB. What a nice revolver it is. A police turn in with a matt stainless finish. And it shoots right to the point of aim with 158gr bullets.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:48 AM   #31
oldscot3

I have a small pack that I use to carry my binoculars, license, snack, etc to the deer blinds. My 5" mod. 10 snuggles in its own pocket with rat shot and wad cutters.

I used it once to kill a squirrel that invaded my blind and made a big messy nest on my chair.

I can't think of a better weapon to do what it does for me.
Old May 2, 2017, 05:17 PM   #32
eastbank

my model 10-5 S&W is a 2" RB and it shoots better than i thought it would. whats not to like and six shots too. eastbank.
Old May 3, 2017, 08:59 AM   #33
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
The thing is, "everything you need, nothing you don't" is a nice sentiment that, IMO, wears though its venier in actual usage: Like a car without AC, power steering and power brakes, I don't find the Model 10 all that usable. Mine mostly just sat in the safe, while I instead opted for niceties like adjustable sights, an underlug, and stainless finish for my serious shooting. Revolver aficionados may wrench their garments and pluck their beards, but I eventually sold my mostly-unused M10...and did so without much guilt.
Oh, I am wrenching my garments and plucking my beard. I too like to drive a car with power steering, power brakes and AC. I like to drive to the range in it to shoot all my old revolvers, particularly my old fixed sight revolvers. Perhaps it is indicative of my old fashionedness that my car does not have automatic transmission. I prefer the feel of a clutch, just like I prefer shooting old revolvers.

But I do like adjustable sights too. This Model 14-3 was made in 1974. I stumbled on it a couple of years ago and could not believe what terrific shape it was in.

But for kicking soup cans around on the 25 yard berm, my absolute favorite is the K-38 at the top of this photo, with the funky fake stag grips. It left the factory in 1957, probably just before the change over to model numbers. It's a real soup can killer. The other one, which left the factory in 1950 is no slouch on soup cans either.

Old May 3, 2017, 11:34 AM   #34
P5 Guy

Model 10 Range Trip

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 10-5 with a two inch barrel and square butt grip.
Just returned from my second range excursion with a smile and one dirty Model 10. Great shooter put my 125 lead round nose reloads an inch or so low at the ten yard line.
I'm happy with this!
Old May 3, 2017, 02:17 PM   #35
SIGSHR

A pre-war 5 screw is on My List. Closest I have is a 1953 Combat Masterpiece.
Old May 3, 2017, 09:57 PM   #36
dscampbell

my 3" model 10-5 ex Victoria Australia police issue is the gun I carry and shoot the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 6, 2017, 11:16 PM   #37
ElVaquero

M&P Model 10

I was issued a 4" bull barrel Model 10 when I first hired on to my deprtment in 1970. It was a great gun and I resented it when we switched to automatics in about 1973. I had the chance to buy it, but foolishly passed on it. I regret it to this day.
Old May 7, 2017, 08:47 AM   #38
Trooper Joe

Love this thread. Someone diverted slightly and mentioned a model 12 (alloy frame). I found this baby a couple of years ago in Florida. Doesn't look like it has ever been fired.

This is a pre-model 10. It is an M&P made in 1925. Grips match the frame. Believe the gun was re-blued once before I got it. So, I had a little lock and trigger work done on it and had the cylinder re-blued to get rid of the red color. It has a place of honor among my smith revolvers. Kind of like the "old man" of the team.

This classic tapered barrel was one I never owned until recently. Again, found it in like new condition at a gun shop in west Florida a couple of years ago. (I hate going to Florida. I am usually broke by the time I get back to Michigan.)

Of course, if you get tired of heavy loads in your model 10's, there is always this "L" frame spin off, the model 581 in .357 Mag. By the way, this thing does a fantastic job with all kinds of .38 loads also. [Sorry for the diversion, but this 581 was sitting in the safe with a tear in it's eye that the model 10's were getting all the attention ]

Again, great thread. My wife is wondering why I haven't even eaten my cereal yet .

As I mentioned before, my greatest fear is that if I have a stroke or die, my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them

Trooper Joe
Old May 9, 2017, 08:42 AM   #39
kraigwy

Just Say'n

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 15, 2017, 08:47 PM   #40
Hdonly

Everybody lovin' model 10's so I felt the need to show my old favorite pre-model 10 built from pieces and parts. Cylinder is much newer than the frame. The grips are home made and the barrel forcing cone was split. I replaced it with a .38 S&W ctg. barrel (all I could find at the time). It shoots .38 special really good. It is a .38 special cylinder. I got the barrel in the raw and started working on the cylinder to re-blue it. Then just decided to leave it un-blued also. Worth next to nothing, but it is a fantastic shooter. I have a few revolvers, but this one is my favorite shooter.

Old May 19, 2017, 06:25 PM   #41
Reloadron

My only Model 10 is a pinned barrel 10-5 snubbie which I am sort of fond of.

Ron
Old May 19, 2017, 09:36 PM   #42
Siggy-06

I really like the look of the tapered barrel over the heavy barrel on the model 10's, not to mention a little weight reduction for carrying.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:53 AM   #43
rep1954

I picked up this Model 10-5 reblue a while back. It's got a great double action. Planned on adding a front sight but started shooting it with no sight inside of 4 yards and doing ragther well.

Last edited by rep1954; May 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:07 AM   #44
P5 Guy

Reloadron, that's the cousin to the one I bought last month. Great handling gun!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:07 PM   #45
Model12Win

Good guns with excellent stopping power with FBIs.
Old May 21, 2017, 05:16 PM   #46
Hanshi

I really like the skinny barrel M10 and bought a new one in the 1960s. Well, it ended up going to a beloved uncle in a trade and I've missed it ever since. Not long after I bought one with a heavy barrel and not only do I still have it, but I set a range record with it at the police academy. It has now been modified by me to double action only. It could be switched back to it's original format with little trouble but I like it as it is. I'd dearly like to get another skinny barrel M10.

Not a good pic but it's currently all I have.
Old May 23, 2017, 06:50 PM   #47
A J

My wife and I each own a Model 10. They're old police trade-ins.

Smoothest revolver trigger I have ever felt
Hardly any recoil. Feels like shooting a .22.

Dislikes:
Wood grip is an ergonomic nightmare. Replaced with Hogues.

Overall, they're keepers. Great guns.
Old May 24, 2017, 02:34 PM   #48
Pond, James Pond

Mannlicher, Trooper Joe, dscambell and deerslayer303.

Stop it.
Stop it, now!

I don't want to see any more heavy-barrelled Model 10s.

I like them, but can't get them so it just makes life harder.

Thank you.

(Hanshi, you're no better)