The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
eeksplee

Xtrema2 vs Maxus

Time for a new auto. Ive never had one and I think its about time I try one out. I wanted a gas guzzler, and its narrowed down between the Xtrema 2 and the Browning Maxus. Ive handled both of them, and I kind of prefer the feel of the Beretta, the Maxus feels like it could be a 20 gauge. The Beretta feels a bit more 'proper' in my hands. I have although, never shot any of these and I cant judge a book by its cover. I would just like to hear what the members of FLF think and what they prefer
Old January 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #2
AllenJ

3 years ago one of my hunting buddies bought an Xtrema2 and he has let me shoot it at trap and while duck hunting. I think it is a fine shotgun but it does feel bulky to me. Last year I bought a Maxus and I really like the lighter weight, I think it adds to the pointability of the gun. That's my opinion but if you like the way the Xtrema feels you should go with your opinion
Old January 5, 2012, 01:05 PM   #3
BigJimP

I would recommend you buy the gun that feels the best to you ...but buy the one with the most adjustability ( whichever one has shims to adjust the stock between it and the receiver ) ...so you can adjust the fit properly after you take it to the pattern board.

I don't know which model of each you're looking at --- but some of them have shims, and some don't ...

They're both solid guns ....although my semi-auto of choice is the Benelli --an inertia gun / but nothing wrong with the modern gas operated guns from Beretta or Browning. You should buy the one that suits you ...length of pull, weight, stock dimensions for drop at comb and heel, etc...and the one that looks the best in your eyes.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
eeksplee

I was also wondering about the new speed lock forearm on the Maxus. Does it provide a secure lock up as opposed to a gun with a fore end cap?
Old January 7, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
HKGuns

Beretta.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

Maxus
Old January 11, 2012, 09:32 PM   #7
chippedit

Beretta

Just bought the A400 xplor 3.5. Truly an amazing shotgun, as it should be ($1600)!
Old January 14, 2012, 11:03 AM   #8
HKGuns

Mine has been flawless.

Old October 1, 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
scottfarm

Don't drink the Berreta coolaid. Maxus all the way.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Orphanedcowboy

If you want a wobbly forend, trigger that doesn't reset, broken gas piston springs, loose butt stocks and a mag cutoff that hangs on everything, then buy a Maxus.

Otherwise buy the Beretta.

At one time I had 3 Maxus shotguns, now 1, and it is such a POS, I would never pawn it off on anyone. Just do a search on broken piston springs, Maxus trigger trapping, heavy trigger pulls, loose/wobbly stocks and forends and then decide.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:23 AM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Don't drink the Berreta coolaid. Maxus all the way.
Sorry but I disagree.. Although they both fit me, I feel that the Beretta is superior to the Maxus... When shooting the Beretta I feel as though I have a higher quality item in my hands... Also the forend setup is ugly... Can't call me a kool-aid lover as I own/shoot/love Brownings... Just because is says Browning on the side does not mean it is the best in every case...
Old October 2, 2012, 09:28 AM   #12
AllenJ

You answered your own question Eeksplee:
Quote:
The Beretta feels a bit more 'proper' in my hands.
A few years ago I was in the market for a new shotgun and I fell in love with everything I was reading about the Xtrema. Problem was when I finally handled one it did not feel "proper" in my hands. I waited and picked up a Maxus last year and love it. A good friend purchased the Xtrema and he loves it. We have switched guns while duck hunting and I have to say I'm pleased with my choice, as is my friend about his Xtrema.

When it comes to shotguns always pick the gun that feels/shoulders the best.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:26 AM   #13
oldguy870

Okay. Let me settle this argument. Buy a Benelli M2. Lighter. No gas system to mess with. Proven in the field.

P.S. They are all good. Buy the one that fits you best.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:50 AM   #14
BigJimP

I agree with oldguy870....except buy the Benelli SuperSport....

but seriously ....neither Browning-Winchester or Beretta make any guns that are pure junk ....do they have issues / sure, sometimes they both do ..../ if there is any trend in anything ....you probably shouldn't buy it the first yr or so the new model comes out ....let the company refine it a little ....( applys to guns, cars, tools, etc most of the time )....