The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Edward429451

Reccommend a good 9mm mould

My buddy went out and got himself a Ruger P89. He knows I cast and asked me which mould he should buy. I have no clue, I've never casted or even reloaded for 9mm and told him to pick up some bulk ammo for cheap. He sees ammo is rising fast and wants to learn to cast anyway. I can't argue with that logic. Soo whats the gotta have 9mm mould?

Open to all suggestions. He's mostly just gonna be target shooting at the range with it.

Are P89's good with cast?
Old April 16, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Castaway

If it were me, I'd ask him to get two, 6 cavity moulds from Lee. They make a round nosed, 124 grain mould that should feed in any pistol. If you're casting a pot of lead for him, you can make good time with two moulds operating at the same time. One filling, one cooling, dump cooled mould, fill, dump cooled moud and repeat until out of lead. You'd be surprised at how fast you can run through eight or so pounds of lead. With Lee Liquid Alox, you can get by with quick and efficient lubing. If the bullets drop too large and bulge the case to the point they cause chambering problems have him buy a sizer and set it up at his house. You've done enough work for him already.
Old April 16, 2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Edward429451

Yeah, gotta love them 6 cavity moulds. Me and another buddy played merry go round with 2 6 cav moulds this past weekend. It took us about 20-30 minutes to empty a 20 lb pot. Them bullets sure pile up fast!!.

Lee 124. I'll look into that.

I have two 450's set up, I don't mind helping him size/lube, he's a good friend. Will a .357 sizer be ok?
Old April 17, 2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Castaway

Maybe, maybe not. A big problem in casting for autoloaders is the size of the bullet. If it drops with too large of diameter, the case is buldged around the bullet and feeding/chambering can be a problem. I don't size anymore for my plinking 45 Colt loads, but do for 45 ACP's because of that. Unless I already had a 357 sizer on hand I'd buy one in 0.356" and not have to worry about it.
Old April 17, 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Rimrod

Lee makes cheap sizers that mount on the press and are available in a number of sizes. Perfect for beginners.

Lee moulds aren't my favorite but I have a ton of them, they are inexpensive and get the job done. They will also custom make moulds to your specs, for a price, but there should be a mould available that will work just fine.
Old April 17, 2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Edward429451

yeah, I have a .357 sizer on hand and it's too small for my 38 cal uses. Sure would be nice if it'd work on his 9. I'll just seat one in a 9 case and chamber check it.

No custom moulds this time around. I have a couple custom Lee moulds bought thru group buys and they're great but this is just for plinking so a standard production mould will have to suffice.