The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 30, 2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Avec Bien

Suppressor Question

I live in Missouri and just got this e-mail a few days ago from the NRA and wanted to know if anyone knew what this meant for the purchasing of suppressors.

Heres a link to summary of the Bill: http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...y/sHB2034T.htm

Heres the e-mail:
Governor Blunt to Sign Important Pro-Gun Bill!
Please Make Plans to Attend!

Tomorrow, June 26, Governor Matt Blunt (R) will sign House Bill 2034 at two signing ceremonies. Enactment of HB2034 will make sweeping positive change to various areas of Missouri's firearms statutes, including:

* Enhanced protections for shooting ranges and hunting preserves;
* Liability protection for landowners who allow public hunting access;

· Makes it unlawful for a licensee to refuse to transfer a firearm by denying a sale to a person otherwise not prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law;

· Eliminating the six-month residency requirement in order to apply for a license to carry a concealable firearm; sealing "permit to acquire" concealable firearms purchase records;

· Allowing for the lawful manufacture, purchase and possession of firearm suppressors;

* Makes necessary revisions to state law regarding the definition of explosives and the possession of firearms by prohibited persons.

We would especially like to thank State Representative Brian Munzlinger (R-1), and State Senator Kevin Engler (R-3) for their efforts in ensuring passage of this important legislation!

If possible, please plan on attending the signing ceremonies for HB2034, and be sure to alert your family, friends and fellow Second Amendment supporters!

The signing ceremonies will be held at:

June 26 - 12:00 p.m.

Clubhouse, River Hills Sporting Clays
22701 Rocheport Road
Boonville, Missouri

June 26 - 1:45 p.m.
Shooting Range
Mineral Area Community College
5270 Flat River Road
Park Hills, Missouri

Any help or more information on this would be great.
Thanks
Old June 30, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
David Hineline

In regard to silencers

I believe it does not take effect till August, but the ban on silencers at the state level is gone, all federal laws apply and in MO you just have some type of FFL to possess NFA items, usually NFA owners go the route of the Curio and Relics collectors license.
Old June 30, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Stagger Lee

Quote:
and in MO you just have some type of FFL to possess NFA items, usually NFA owners go the route of the Curio and Relics collectors license.
Sorry, but one of us isn't clear here. Are you trying to say that in MO, someone can just get a 01 FFL or a C&R and then purchase an M-16, an M-60, or a suppressed MP-5?

Because if that's what you're saying, you've got it wrong. There's no provision in federal law for such a thing.
Old July 1, 2008, 11:19 PM   #4
David Hineline

You can't just take part of what I typed out of context and say it's wrong.

The part you missed was where I typed all Federal laws apply. MO state law requres some type of federal license FFL in addition to complying with all federal laws.

So you must first comply with federal laws to get the NFA item, then you must comply with MO laws to get the item into MO.

But before Silencers were not for anyone in MO except for LE and licensed SOT paying manuf. and dealers in some situations. Now it is for anyone with any type of FFL including a C+R collectors license.

If you are still confused I can't explain it any better to you.
Old July 2, 2008, 07:46 AM   #5
VUPDblue

Quote:
If you are still confused I can't explain it any better to you.
That is good sig-line material!
Old July 2, 2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Avec Bien

How do you go about getting a C&R license and how much does it cost? How does it compare in cost and hassle to a regular FFL license?
Old July 2, 2008, 05:21 PM   #7
LiquidTension7

C&R license costs $30 for 3 years. Everyone should get one if for the discounts at various retailers if nothing else. It's also pretty cool to meet the UPS guy at the door to take possession of your new SKS or K-31 instead of going to a shop. Here's a link that should answer all of your questions:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...fl03/index.asp
Old July 3, 2008, 08:49 AM   #8
21Bravo

Avec Bien,

I too live in MO and have had transferrable MGs for about 9 years so I'm pretty familiar with the MO process.

A C&R is a federal firearms license however it is not a dealers license. Since it's not a dealers license there is no business involved. It's purely for individual collectors. There are no ATF inspections. You do have to keep a "bound book" of all of the firearms you purchase using the license. However, this is painless and very rarely does the ATF do compliance inspections of these with C&R holders. I know a lot of folks with C&R license and none of which have had an inspection. So, if dealing with the ATF is a concern of yours, disregard it, it's insignificant.

Regarding suppressor ownership in MO. The new law makes ownership of suppressors the same as transferrable MGs have been for a long time in MO. That is you must have an FFL, a C&R meets this requirement. To purchase the transferrable (transferrable means made in the US and registered prior to May 86) MG you complete an ATF form 4 in duplicate along with 2 sets of fingerprint cards. Have your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (typically the Sheriff in the county you reside) sign off on both copies then mail the whole packet to the ATF with a check for $200. Once the ATF has confirmed you and everything is kosher they sign off on the Form 4s, send one back to the seller and retain one. Once this is accomplished you pick up your item from the seller. If the item you're buying is out of state there is a little more to it but most suppressor dealers can clear that up for you.

Generally, if you can own firearms now the Form 4 will be approved. Some sheriffs don't sign but most do. The whole CLEO signature can be bypassed if you set up a limited liability corporation. AR15.com in the Hometown Missouri section has the LLC process laid out in decent detail. It's a good route to go since the transfer paperwork is usually processed faster and you don't have to deal with the sheriff.

Suppressors will be the same way come August 28th. The only difference is suppressors can be newly manufacturered as their production for sale to individuals was not banned in 1986 as MGs were.

I hope this clarified things for you. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

21Bravo aka
Craig P. in MO

Last edited by 21Bravo; July 3, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 11, 2008, 08:10 PM   #9
anthonydr2

ATF Disapproved my 55320.2 for a MG to MO, despite my C&R FFL

ATF Disapproved my 55320.2 for a MG to MO, despite my C&R FFL

One thing I must say, is that they do follow up -- I spoke with the BATFE representive who disapproved my request to transport from Ohio to MO earlier today. He says that his info is that MG, SBR, SBS are all not legal in MO, and that my C&R FFL has no bearing for modern firearms, although it might be different for a C&R firearm.

Anyone have the ability to help by providing info on bill/law that I can advance to them to show differently? I'm looking for the actual legal code in a referenceable format to share back with them....