The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2017, 11:09 AM   #26
ShootistPRS

If you need a good reloading station that fits a small space and can be moved to a new home or apartment This is simple to make and can go through a 36" doorway without removing the door. I came up with this after having to leave behind two very well made reloading benches that were built in to the structure of my homes. (walls and/or ceiling joists) I have dimensioned drawings, bill of materials and cut sheets available if you need them. They work well if you have one press and like to sit while you punch out ammo. I use two of these, one for each press, and I have added padding to the seats. At nearly 70 comfort becomes more important.

I also use cupboards that are mounted by rail to the wall rather than building the attached cabinet.
Old March 30, 2017, 02:24 PM   #27
briandg

Could you replace that top with a lamination of three layers of plywood bonded together, or just a one inch layer plank?

I see nothing wrong with it, per se, but obviously I have concerns about the less than robust material after many hundreds of cycles with heavy rounds.

There is a plywood made with birch that is stronger than pine planks.
Old March 30, 2017, 02:58 PM   #28
kmw1954

Over the past year since I have retaken up Handloading I've have seen examples of all kinds, shapes and sizes of benches that folks are using. Some are pretty ingenious, some are very pain yet functional. It's a part of taste, need or space limitations.

One I'd seen from a member was a steel cabinet with double doors that he built a bench top in. When not in use he is able to close the doors and lock it all up. Apparently it works well for him!

Bughunt post us some pictures when you have it in place.
Old March 31, 2017, 12:36 AM   #29
Itsa Bughunt

Will do. Today's weather was exceptionally nice so I spent the day at the range instead of moving that bench inside.
Old March 31, 2017, 01:29 PM   #30
ShootistPRS

Quote:
briandg Could you replace that top with a lamination of three layers of plywood bonded together, or just a one inch layer plank?

I see nothing wrong with it, per se, but obviously I have concerns about the less than robust material after many hundreds of cycles with heavy rounds.

There is a plywood made with birch that is stronger than pine planks.
Brian,
I'm not sure if you were referencing my design or not but if so:
The table top is supposed to be two layers of 3/4 inch plywood glued together and the front has a 2x4 running the full width for mounting the press. It is rock solid and will outlast a plank top as well as being smoother for clean-up.

The picture is from a guy I sent the plans to and when he finished he sent pictures. I rarely take photos of my work - too interested in getting the job done and putting it to work.
Old March 31, 2017, 05:57 PM   #31
random guy

As John D said, an old steel office desk is hard to beat. I've got several in my workshop. Once they get any wear at all, no one wants them in the office. They are heavy, sturdy and cheap or free.

The computer rack looks nice but made for a different sort of use. Still an excellent work station for lighter work. In fact, short of resizing it might handle everything.
Old April 1, 2017, 07:47 AM   #32
yakman

My first reloading bench was a section of a bowling alley that my Father got from the alley that he bowled at. It's really solid, it's still functional and it's been in place over 35 years.
Old April 1, 2017, 10:04 AM   #33
briandg

shootist, I was referring to the original question.

I don't think that particle board will hold up to the repeated flexing.

Two or three layers of good quality plywood laminated with glue, with grain alternated will hold up to nearly anything; he can lay it out with wood glue and run drywall screws through it to further the rigidity.

Lots of home improvement stores carry sheet laminate and sheet laminate would make plywood perfect.

Solid, good grade plank works well.

There are plenty of possibilities. But no matter, that table top was meant to have maybe 100 pounds of electronic equipment laying on it, not having heavy mechanical devices working on it, and any type of fiber board might eventually fail.
Old April 1, 2017, 10:13 AM   #34
mikejonestkd

A bit of background on my day job- I have worked for the world's largest commercial office furniture manufacturer since 1993, and have first hand experience with the product that the OP linked to. Mayline makes upper end commercial products.

Please do not assume that the top is made from the the same garbage MDF that you would buy at the local home improvement store, because it is NOT. I would place good money that you could put a small block chevy engine on that top and it would hold up just fine.

adding a layer of 3/4" plywood underneath the top would be cheap insurance, but I doubt it will be needed.
Old April 1, 2017, 01:26 PM   #35
Itsa Bughunt

Quote:
But no matter, that table top was meant to have maybe 100 pounds of electronic equipment laying on it,
My workstation originally had 4 20" trinitron monitors on it and those weigh 90lbs each.
Old April 1, 2017, 06:59 PM   #36
briandg

I am wrong.