The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Robar498

.308 Load

I recently puchased a Remington Model 700 .308. I am looking for a good load to hunt deer, pigs and so on with. I would appreciate any advice on what loads, bullets, powder would be the best to use to get a decent group with good damage for what I am hunting.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

All guns are individual to some extent due to normal variation in the chamber sizes and bedding contact and so on. As a result, few recipes work equally well in all of them, nor do they create the exact same pressures in all of them. You may have noticed that load manuals have a starting load and a maximum load. The idea is that the minimum should be safe in all guns (though sometimes the manuals don't get that right, so always check three load sources to find the minimum charge), and you can gradually increment the charge weight up until you find a best accuracy or a maximum power load that doesn't cause signs of excess pressure in your gun. Commercial ammo loads are determined in a pressure barrel that has worst-case dimensions for pressure. When you start mixing other components in and don't have such a pressure barrel, you pretty much have to go through that slow work-up process to be sure you have what works well in your gun.

That said, the .308 has been so commonly loaded that a lot of folks will have recipes that work in their guns, and you can take one of those and reduce the powder charge 10% and creep it back up in tests at the range, while watching for pressure signs and best accuracy at the range. You will also get recommendations for bullets and powders that work well together. A couple of other bits of information will be helpful if you want better information:
  • What is the barrel length (from muzzle to breech face; in other words, if the bolt is closed, how many inches of cleaning rod fit in from the muzzle) on your particular 700 model number?
    And, what is the twist rate of that barrel? If you can't measure those, look them up on Remington's web site.
  • What is the maximum range you will hunt at?
  • What are the lowest and highest temperature conditions you expect to hunt in?
  • If you have already saved some cases for reloading from firing commercial ammunition, what brand are they? (.308 cases vary in volume by brand more than most other chamberings, and that affects pressure, too.)
  • If you have any other components, like primers and powder, what are they?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 12, 2009, 11:34 AM   #3
farmerboy

cases trimmed to 2.005"
win. large rifle primers
46.0 gr.s' Varget
Hornady 165 grain SST's
c.o.l.- 2.756"

is what I load for myself for deer, hogs etc. Awesome load for such. I'm shooting these out of a savage model 10 FP I gotton a few years ago for my son. Very accurate round and a meat getter. Like the earlier post reccommends, back off alittle and work back up if needed if you do decide to try this one, this is the one that works for ours... HAVE FUN
Old December 12, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
GeauxTide

If the deer and hogs are small, 150's are great. I used 748 for a long time, but Varget is my recent favorite because it shoots clean. If they are bigger, with 200# hogs in the mix, the above mentioned Varget load with 165SST would be excellent. I contacted Ron Pinkston, of JagerPro (jagerpro.com), after viewing some of his videos on YT. He has killed hogs up to 346#. They use DPMS rifles in 308, with Fed Premium 180gr Nosler Partitions. He states they can shoot 200# hogs from any angle and reach the vitals at 150 yards. I'm re-thinking my hog medicine.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
rottieman33

I have the same gun I use
Powder IMR 3031
Bullet is Nosler/Winchester CT Ballistic Silver tip 150 grain

Part # for bullet is 51150 box of 50 cost between $20-$25

Last edited by rottieman33; March 3, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 12:31 PM   #6
James R. Burke

I believe Unclenick has it covered real well. Make sure you have some good manuals, I try to have the one for the maker of the bullet I will be using, and a few other good one's that are out there. The only suggestion I have is the bullet for deer. I really like the Nosler Partition's. The 165 grain would probably be a good one for your rifle. They cost alittle bit more but I feel they are worth it. But who knows they might not be the best in your rifle. There are many good makes for deer, and everyone has there favorite. I am sure you will get many ideas from your post. I have used a few differnt powders, but found the one in the manual they found has the most accurate worked the best for me. Not saying it will for you there are alot of variables that will change that. But good manuals and this forum should narrow things down alot for you. Good luck, have fun, and keep it safe!
Old December 13, 2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Robar498

I appreciate all the advice!
Old December 13, 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
gearheadpyro

My hunting load for my Remmy 700 (26" 1:12 twist barrel) is:

Hornady SST 165gr Ballistic Tip Bullet
IMR 4320 Powder.

After doing my load development process I came up with 41.2 grains as my best charge shooting an average .6" group. You can check out my load development process here http://www.rifles-shooting-reloading...velopment.html

My other loads for the .308 Win uses IMR 4895, and it averages an even better group size.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Snobal

I like to try things for myself rather than believe what some "writer" in a gun magazine thinks.....

Therefore, I've taken deer with several rifles including calibers .222 Rem Mag, 6MM Rem, 30-30 Win, .308 Win, and 300 Win.

My favorite was the 6MM, but I finally realized from results in the field that somewhere between the 30-30 Win and .308 was about the best, all-round "deer catcher".......

....and I found that a 150 grain .308 bullet at about 2,600 FPS is all that is required for consistent, one-shot kills --- without ruining a batch of meat if you happen to hit them poorly, or hit a big bone.

I also found that .308 Win brass loaded to shoot a 150 grain bullet at 2,600 FPS seems to last forever....

I now only have a Model 700 Remington .308 --- and believe it will do anything that this old man requires of a "big bore" rifle.

JMHO - YRMV
Old December 13, 2009, 10:43 PM   #10
BurkGlocker

Quote:
cases trimmed to 2.005"
win. large rifle primers
46.0 gr.s' Varget
Hornady 165 grain SST's
c.o.l.- 2.756"
Farmerboy, this is the exact load that I use... Right on...
Old December 14, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Robar498

Gear head, what is the load that you use when using the 4895 power. What grain bullet and how much powder(grains)?
Old December 18, 2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

One problem with .308 is the larger than average variance in case capacity within the caliber. To duplicate any of the mentioned loads, you need to get the guys to reveal what case brand they were using?
Old December 18, 2009, 05:07 PM   #13
5R milspec

hunt'n load

why not use a 178g A-max.they work great and shoot very well.just pour 44 grains of varget in a Rem,Win,or Lapua case and top it off with a 178g A-max and your good to go.then you will have a target and hunt'n load.
Old December 18, 2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Does the Winchester case really work the same for you as the Remington and Lapua? The latter two are quite close on water capacity, but the Winchesters, unless they are at lead 15 years old, are likely to be about 1.5 grains bigger. I would expect a little bit lower velocity and maybe moving off a sweet spot if the load was at all charge sensitive. If it's not, though, you may have a good general purpose load, like the Federal Gold Medal with the 168 grain Sierra. Check Dan Newberry's OCW concept out, if you aren't already familiar with it?
Old December 18, 2009, 10:23 PM   #15
5R milspec

308 load

unclenick I have loade all brands and found it really doesn't matter what case brand I use.this load is a all around load for my 5R.so loading for it is really not that hard.the 5R is a rifel that like's just about what you want to feed them.just need to stay around a 165-175g bullet.but for me I like rem or lapua brass.most of my plinking/hunt'n loads are rem and papper loads lapua.and I never have to change the weight of my powders.I like varget but load some with 4064.I guess thats why I love a 5R.even have one in a 223.my next wil be a 300wm.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:21 PM   #16
gearheadpyro

Robar 498:

The IMR 4895 load I use is this...

175 gr Matchking
40.9 gr IMR 4895
CCI BR-2's
Winchester brass 2.010"

It puts me in the .4" range regularly, but I'm still tweaking the C.O.L. so it may get slightly better.
Old December 20, 2009, 02:29 PM   #17
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
165Gr. Speer BTSP over 45Gr. of Win-748 , kills whitetails like lightening !