The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2020, 05:46 AM   #1
curly45

Holster hunting for Ruger SR9c

I am trying to find a comfortable aiwb holster and currently looking at the Alien,Spartian and Craft brands the 1st two are similar in construction and materials but the craft is non kydex. My size is another consideration {5'10'' and 230#s. Any help in choosing a comfortable day wear holster would be appreciated. I am sure that some of the folks out there have experience that would help . I have some doubt with the mfg;s claims. Thanks to all contributers
Old October 29, 2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Andy1

You don't mention what type of gun or hunting you plan on carrying for, but I use a leather bandolier holster for my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. I'm 5'10 - 200lbs. I have used other holsters and find that the bandolier style is the most comfortable. The weight of the firearm is carried across your body instead of your waist. This makes for an easier hunt (at least for me) because the gun is in immediate access across my chest and much less tiresome than hanging off my hip. You should check them out. I'm glad I did.
Old October 31, 2020, 04:04 PM   #3
DaleA

Welp, don't really have a solution for you but 'I feel your pain'. IMhO holsters are waaaaaay more frustrating to buy than guns.

I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap (I bought a cheap unlined leather holster once that within a couple weeks put rust marks on a nice blued revolver) and if you find a store that will let you handle and try on a holster do NOT use them and then go buy it on line for a cheaper price.

P.S. I stand by my statement about buying a quality holster BUT I did once buy a cheapy nylon rig off Ebay years ago for a ridiculously low price and it has worked over the years for carrying a handgun...it CERTAINLY isn't a quick access holster, it would only be good for concealed carry if you were wearing an overcoat and the craftsmanship is something below an Uncle Mike's rig. (PPS I actually some of Uncle Mike's stuff and think they are a good company). The thing holds the gun securely and hasn't messed up the finish and so I'm happy with it for what it is.

Good luck to you and maybe you want to check out Midway, they have a holster finding application on their site.
https://www.midwayusa.com/holster-finder/
Old October 31, 2020, 04:31 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap (I bought a cheap unlined leather holster once that within a couple weeks put rust marks on a nice blued revolver) and if you find a store that will let you handle and try on a holster do NOT use them and then go buy it on line for a cheaper price.
The only time I have ever heard of a leather holster causing rust is when someone stores their gun in a leather holster. It is also notable that the leather in a gun holster should be of the vegetable tanned rather than chrome (salts) tanned leather.

I was frustrated with the available styles of holsters years ago, so I started making my own. I prefer full-flap holsters to protect the gun when I am hunting. Here is one of my full flaps. https://link.shutterfly.com/MBL3Iu2E2ab

Last edited by dahermit; October 31, 2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 1, 2020, 07:58 AM   #5
curly45

Sorry that I may have mis-led people but I am looking for a concealed carry holster for a Ruger SR9c or similar pistol. I intend to wear it inside my pants in the 12 to 2 o,clock position. DaleA- have been looking at the uncle mike but have had a problem finding what size to get thanks for the advice. Again sorry for the 1st post
Old November 3, 2020, 02:24 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

For a Ruger SR9c an Uncle Mike's size goes by barrel length.
Like this.
https://unclemikes.com/holsters/concealed-carry/ccw/
Old November 3, 2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Improved thread title and moved to the Semiauto forum.
Old November 3, 2020, 07:03 PM   #8
ballardw

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/h...r-sr9c-compact

I have a Supertuck for the full sized SR9 and am happy with that. And I'm 5-10ish and about 230. You can get different belt hooks/loops and the pictures don't always show all of the other holes where you can adjust things by moving the loops up/down. My Supertuck has 3 vertical adjustment positions on either side of the holster body.
Old November 4, 2020, 10:04 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly45 View Post
I am trying to find a comfortable aiwb holster and currently looking at the Alien,Spartian and Craft brands the 1st two are similar in construction and materials but the craft is non kydex. My size is another consideration {5'10'' and 230#s. Any help in choosing a comfortable day wear holster would be appreciated. I am sure that some of the folks out there have experience that would help . I have some doubt with the mfg;s claims. Thanks to all contributers
Concealment Express.

Molded to the specific gun, which you want. Also cheap enough to not be too painful if you decide it's just another addition to the Box of Regrettable Holsters.

I bought a CE IWB holster for one of my guns. It's cheap, but checks all the boxes for what a holster is supposed to do (hold gun securely, release easily, cover controls, secure on belt (once clip was replaced with snap loops, my preference)).

I would not go with a generic, one size fits some, holster, or a flimsy leather holster, or a nylon Uncle Mike's Sidekick type. Not for carry. Not for AIWB.

Quote:
Welp, don't really have a solution for you but 'I feel your pain'. IMhO holsters are waaaaaay more frustrating to buy than guns.

I would say go with a brand name, don't go cheap
Much wisdom there. Holster buying, especially for a obscure or no longer popular gun, can be quite frustrating.

Quote:
Good luck to you and maybe you want to check out Midway, they have a holster finding application on their site.
https://www.midwayusa.com/holster-finder/
Yeah, Midway's holster finder tool is worth a shot.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; November 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old November 4, 2020, 10:08 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
For a Ruger SR9c an Uncle Mike's size goes by barrel length.
Like this.
https://unclemikes.com/holsters/concealed-carry/ccw/
Not sure what you're looking at. For that holster (which won't do very well for AIWB), the way I read the page, he'd be buying the very same holster for both full size and compact.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 4, 2020, 02:13 PM   #11
dgludwig

I know what iwb and owb means when it comes to abridged holster terminology, but what does "aiwb" mean?
Old November 4, 2020, 03:13 PM   #12
DaleA

aiwb=appendix inside waist band.

With a little Googlefu even found an example:
https://aliengearholsters.com/alien-...y-holster.html

Last edited by DaleA; November 4, 2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: found an example
Old November 4, 2020, 04:18 PM   #13
dgludwig

Thanks, DaleA.
Old November 4, 2020, 08:07 PM   #14
curly45

Sorry I posted in wrong forum