The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

And that has guaranteed safe driving among teenagers?

When you go to classes - you find the instructor always has to shut up folks who want to talk bullets and guns. The teachers wanted to discuss mindset, tactics, etc.

But Teacher - should I use 165 gr vs 230?
Old June 2, 2013, 03:48 PM   #27
Method

Clarification and Thanks

For all the replies, thanks.

Additionally, I apologize for any confusion as I was cramming questions together. My purchase of an AR and my interest in home defense are not really related. The ammo question was simply for recreational shooting.

My interest in learning more about home defense was a separate topic. At this time I do not plan to use the AR for home defense. I do not have the experience or training to do so. I'm simply looking to learn the various aspects of home defense and the most realistic situations.

Sorry about that...but the ensuing discussion has been informative.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy
I don't need to go to the range. Your opinion may vary. Mine is that a 3000 fps 22 in a long gun is a very poor choice for home defense.
The basis you gave for your opinion (overpenetration) is factually incorrect. Several types of .223 ammo will penetrate LESS than .45ACP 230gr JHP in ballistics gel and are less likely to be lethal after passing through an intermediate barrier.

A 55gr bullet moving at 3000fps tends to break up when it hits something and the resulting fragments have little mass and shed energy quickly. A .45 travelling at 1000fps stays in one piece until it runs out of energy.

Here is another example, in addition to the one already given to you:
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/njpdr...board_test.pdf
Old June 4, 2013, 01:49 AM   #29
SgtLumpy

Quote:
The basis you gave for your opinion (overpenetration) is factually incorrect.
OK.

Regardless of whatever "facts" you may have read, MY OPINION is that a long gun at 3k fps, 223 cal is inappropriate for home defense.

Now before the thread gets shut down, can we agree to disagree? Or do I need to give you the names of the widows and kids of my LEO friends (two of them, separate incidents) who were killed when shot with an AR through car body panels AND a ballistic vest?

Please choose whatever you want for HD. If you think a rifle designed for fighting in the jungle is ideal, please use that. I hope you never have to use that, or any weapon, to shoot someone.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 4, 2013, 08:32 AM   #30
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy
Or do I need to give you the names of the widows and kids of my LEO friends (two of them, separate incidents) who were killed when shot with an AR through car body panels AND a ballistic vest?
Why? Nobody here is disputing that .223 is capable of penetrating car doors or body armor. What more than one person is telling you is that with the right ammo selection, .223 will present less of a lethal threat after passing through a barrier than 9mm, .40, or .45. In fact, some types of .223 will even penetrate less 10% ordnance gel than those calibers with no barrier at all involved.

Ammo type is more important than caliber. Additionally, understanding the physics of what happens when a bullet strikes something is important. This doesn't mean that you can grab any .223 and use it indoors without penetrating other rooms - on the contrary, pretty much any caliber that meets the FBI minimum criteria for self-defense will penetrate multiple indoor walls.

However, the stuff you were saying about .223 penetration is hyperbole. Even .223 FMJ that fails to yaw or fragment doesn't penetrate like that. You clearly are either not reading or not understanding the links if you aren't getting some of these concepts.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:55 AM   #31
hopeisnotastrategy

New to AR and Self Defense Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmj View Post
I tested winchester 64 grain 223 soft point with plastic jugs of water. penetration was about the same as 9mm 125 gr +p (Federal HST) and 45 ACP 230 gr gold dot HP. In all cases, 2 jugs were competely penetrated and the bullet stopped in the third jug.

I also re-ran the test by shooting through a 3/4 inch plywood first, followed by jugs of water. The 9mm penetrated the farthest, going through 3 jugs and stopped by the backstop. the 45 and 223 were both stopped by the 3rd jug.

This took about 20 jugs of water and was a lot more work than I expected. I was very skeptical that 223 soft points would not be an over-penetration hazard, but I satisfied my skepticism.
Did you fire the 223 and the 9mm at the same distance from the jugs? If so, what was the distance?
Old June 4, 2013, 10:50 PM   #32
btmj

Quote:
Did you fire the 223 and the 9mm at the same distance from the jugs? If so, what was the distance?
I don't remember exactly. Probably about 25 feet.

I do remember the huge difference in water spray. The handgun rounds busted open the first jug and then penetrated the rest. The 223 absolutely pulverized the water jugs and threw water spray a great distance. The impact was much more violent with the 223.