The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 31, 2023, 02:50 PM   #1
fauxpa46

Mag safety removal

I've been attempting to remove the mag safety of my Girsan MC P35 to no avail. From the YouTube videos I've seen, it fairly falls out. Mine won't budge.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Don't want to force it.
Old February 1, 2023, 01:37 PM   #2
RickB

I was watching a vid on that topic yesterday, and the disconnector did seem to come out easily, but I remember, when I got my HP many years ago, some guy claiming it's easier to break the plunger off, than to remove the plunger and spring.
That's not a recommendation, but they apparently don't always give up easily.
Might be a silly question, but you have driven out the retaining pin?
Old February 1, 2023, 04:17 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

or before you break anything, trade it in as a down payment on an SA-35. They don't have that pesky magazine disconnector.
Old February 1, 2023, 05:48 PM   #4
HiBC

I think 44 AMP hit it pretty well. If anyone is shot with that pistol,legit self defense, accident,or even after its stolen,you are "exposed" to litigation or other legal action for defeating a safety device.
I'm not a lawyer . I don't "know" the fine points.

I'm not saying you WILL be in trouble. I'm saying you have "exposure".

Given the weight of trouble it COULD bring,( 6 figures?7? ) my sense of risk management says:

(Price of the new gun) minus (price I can sell the mag safety gun for) equals (some hundreds of dollars) I don't know how many. Lets guess $300 plus or minus $200. That bites, but think of it in terms of ammo or eggs. Med bills and lawyers and lawsuits,etc.

Remove the safety and you have a long term "stressor" in your life.

I despise mag safeties. I simply will not buy a gun that has one.

Worst is if you are carrying with one in the chamber, clearing the gun is more complex than it needs to be. IMO,its crazy to think removing the mag makes a gun with a round in the chamber "safe".

On the one magazine safety gun I owned, the mag safety would lock the slide. Great! So you cannot clear by racking the slide!

Best drill I found was using the slide lock to lock the slide open (a clumsy affair) and then removing the magazine. Or rack the slide 14 times. Or fire a mag dump.Or remove the full mag,insert the empty mag you always carry,
and rack the slide. Mag safeties can be dangerous.

I did notice a significant improvement in trigger pull. This was on a circa 1970's MAB PA 15.

IMO,there are enough pistol options available we can "Just say "No!" to mag safeties.
Old February 1, 2023, 06:34 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Browning began the design of the pistol that became the Hi Power, but died shortly after creating his prototype and the gun design was finished by an FN engineer who's name I always mangle.

According to firearm lore, the French, who were a big potential customer, demanded the gun include a magazine disconnect, and the finished pistol did.

And then the French refused to buy any....

The magazine disconnect makes a small degree of sense to me, when it is in a "nightstand pistol", particularly small pistols with heel type magazine catches. It's a simple and easy way to render the gun inoperable, and so safe from curious children (remembering that this was an era when home defense guns were rarely under lock & key) but I've always felt it to be a detremental and dangerous thing in a self defense or duty class pistol with a button mag release.

I balance the "advantage" of being able to disable the gun by punching the mag release button in a struggle against the possibility of something accidently doing it without my knowing it, and choose to avoid both by not using a pistol that has that feature in it.
Old February 1, 2023, 09:09 PM   #6
HiBC

Hmm. The MAB PA-15 was French, for whatever thats worth.
Old February 4, 2023, 07:11 PM   #7
PzGren

Dieudonné Saive
Old February 5, 2023, 11:27 PM   #8
Drm50

I’ve a snuff can full of mag disconnects from Brn HPs. Never ran into a stubborn one. I always take them out of mine. Never have put one back in, just put on my tin foil hat and hope for the best.
Old February 6, 2023, 12:52 PM   #9
Pahoo

Have not seen this, Yet ???

Quote:
Mine won't budge.
I assume you are referring to the Pin?? To date I have removed this feature from three HP's and one pin was tight/firm. I use a brass pin punch. After removing the spring tension, the applicable parts do literally, fall out. I then reinstall the pin and all goes well. I followed some printed instruction and they were pretty much in line with a follow-up review, on YouTube. Out of habit, I always drive left to right !!! Perhaps you need a little heat as you may be fighting some LockTite. I have never done a Girsan. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 6, 2023, 07:24 PM   #10
Nodak1858

I did my Girsan, had to punch out the trigger pin, will not just fall out like a true HP
Old February 14, 2023, 01:18 PM   #11
eastbank

my mauser-werke oberndorf model 80 sa 9mm. came without one, glad it did.