The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2000, 09:00 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Just finished John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" where the hero uses a piece of
nylon stock as a .44 mag. bullet over a "case full Of Bullseye" to get a velocity of
3000 fps. Now all gun related stuff in this book seems to be correct, but I wonder
about this. Nylon bullets, no problem, but a case full of BE and 3000fps, is it
possible?
Old December 28, 2000, 03:45 PM   #2
bk40

case full of Bullseye in a .44 mag?

sure it can be done.... can you say death and dismemberment... sure you can.

the mother of all KaBooms!

well, maybe it depended on how much crimp was applied

WESHOOT2, we need an expert here!
Old December 28, 2000, 05:20 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

A full case of Bullseye? Even with something as light as a nylon bullet that seems a lot! I would stay away from it if I were you.
Old December 29, 2000, 01:34 AM   #4
slickpuppy

What kind of chisel would be appropriate to remove the melted plastic from the bore?
Old December 29, 2000, 08:15 AM   #5
Quantrill

Case full of Bullseye

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! Quantrill
Old December 29, 2000, 09:55 AM   #6
sw627pc

slickpuppy,

Using industrial grade nylon I wouldn't worry about melted plastic in the bore. This stuff is pretty tuff. I assume that the piece of nylon would be loaded similar to a wadcutter (flush with the case mouth and crimped over the end) as trying to crimp a hard, springy, and self lubricating material in the middle sounds rather self defeating. In this case a "full case of bullseys" might not really be a full to the brim case but rather enough to fill whatever case volume wasn't already used by the projectile. I don't think I want to try it, but suspect it would work. Of course you have a ballistic co-efficient of 0 and anything past point blank (or maybe even contact) range would be a waste of time.
Old December 29, 2000, 12:31 PM   #7
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Wasn't planning to try it, just wanted your thoughts on its possiblity.
In the novel he put it through the enemies eyesocket at about 4 feet, inside an airplane, I guess that's why he used a soft projectile rather than a more conventional one.

BTW, this book is a must read for firearms enthusiasts.
Old December 30, 2000, 02:58 AM   #8
KP95DAO

High velocity 44 Mag rds.

Your question made me dig out some of my old data. I have shot just about everything there is to shoot out of a 44 Mag. Some years ago I made up a load consisting of a W-W case, WLP primer, a bullet which was a C&J short jacket ( for swaged bullet making) that was formed into a swc and filled with hot glue. The bullet weight was 57 grains. The powder consisted of a blend of 5 grains of AA5 and 27 grains of AA7. For a total of 32 grains. This resulted in the bullet cronographing at an average of 3255 fps with a high of 3290 and a low of 3218. This was near the max pressure level in the 10&1/2 inch Ruger SBH it was fired in. To say that he used a solid piece of nylon in the hope that it would not penetrate an airplane fuselage at that velocity is wishful thinking on the author's part. As we all know the key to penetration of anything is the ability to impart sufficient amount of force in the shortest amount of time.
Old December 30, 2000, 07:42 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

Don't like plastic (got 1800fps with a 300g LFP in my 5.5" Redhawk, though. But only one time, then I needed a big hammer...)

Airplanes are already full of holes; doesn't matter if a bullet (or two) makes one more. Really.
Old December 31, 2000, 11:27 PM   #10
dundee

several years ago there was an article "loading for vampires" the author used wood dowels cut into the proper length and in some cases turned on his lathe to load his .44
I don't remember the powder used but he did get velocities above 3000 fps. I don't remember what accuracy he got but they did interesting things to watermelon type targets.
Old January 2, 2001, 01:53 PM   #11
Bogie

You know, I really need to nag John to get on this board...

Old January 2, 2001, 03:09 PM   #12
Matt VDW

Quote:
To say that he used a solid piece of nylon in the hope that it would not penetrate an airplane fuselage at that velocity is wishful thinking on the author's part. As we all know the key to penetration of anything is the ability to impart sufficient amount of force in the shortest amount of time.
I think the theory was that the lightweight bullet would lose all of its energy in the bad guy and not over-penetrate. Of course, a miss would be a different story... but in that case any effective bullet would puncture the plane's fuselage anyway.
Old January 2, 2001, 04:16 PM   #13
B9mmHP

TABING
It may be that it is possible, I just looked at my reloading manual. 44mag 200 GR. with 27.0 grains IMR 4227, muzzle velocity 1461. 225 GR. with 25.0 grains IMR 4227, muzzle velosity 1432. 240 GR. with 24.0 grains IMR 4227, muzzle velosity 1312.
So I ass/u/me that the lighter the bullet the more powder you can use without excessive pressure build up, so something as light as plastic would not cause excess presure. But I dont think I would care to try it.
Old January 2, 2001, 10:46 PM   #14
Good Guy

Quote:
several years ago there was an article "loading for vampires" the author used wood dowels cut into the proper length and in some cases turned on his lathe to load his .44
I don't remember the powder used but he did get velocities above 3000 fps. I don't remember what accuracy he got but they did interesting things to watermelon type targets.
I recall reading an article in the American Rifleman on wooden bullets in handguns. Seem to remember 1800-2000 fps from a 38 snub!, among other calibers & loads. The author was looking for the ultimate "safe" defense load inside the home. From what I remember, effective range for his wooden wonders was 0-10 feet, since the velocity fell off dramatically as soon as wooden slug left the bore. Wish I saved the magazine article, but I recycle all my gun rags every few years to new/junior shooters.

Old January 5, 2001, 01:16 AM   #15
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Intriguing possibilities - - -

Y'all are beginning to interest me, here - - - -

I haven't loaded anything but .45 ACP for some months now, but I'm beginning to think about firing up my old single-stage press. Need to take a run down to the big hardware store and see what kinda nylon stock they have on hand.

Johnny
Old January 5, 2001, 11:57 AM   #16
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Johnny, I have a question. If that nylon leaves a residue in your bore is that called nyloning, or is it still leading?
Old January 6, 2001, 03:24 PM   #17
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Nylon barrel deposits

Excellent question, Car---One worthy of a learned discussion. Now, where are the learned ones?

I nominate "NYLODING" as the proper term. Any other suggestions? Let's break some new semantic ground here, friends..

But if you don't want to participate, don't make fun of those who do. I guess I'm saying - - -
Please, no anti-semantic remarks.

Best,
Johnny