The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
vito

What is the outlook for either pro or anti gun laws in 2011?

With Republicans controlling the House of Representatives I don't think any major Federal anti-gun laws will see the light of day, but with a Democrat controlled White House there is little chance for major pro gun laws as well. At the State level it looks good for WI to pass concealed carry legislation which would leave only IL (aren't I lucky to live here!) without any form of legal concealed carry. Several states such as NY seem on the verge of increasing gun control laws, but many more states now have a Republican (likely pro gun) legislatures. It looks like a generally positive climate for pro gun, pro 2A folks like us, but you never know. My biggest concern is with the Supreme Court and the two newest members who are both clearly anti 2nd Amendment.What think the rest of you?
Old January 1, 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Bud Helms

I think you are in the wrong forum.

This belongs in Law & Civil Rights.

Moving.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I see zero happening in Congress for gun laws. There's simple no interest, on their part.

It will all happen in the courts, overturning rotten laws, many of which were (and are) supported by republicans.

In the courts, 2011 should be a very good year for us.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

On the legislative front, nothing will happen. We've got an NRA A-rated majority in the House. In the Senate, our advantage isn't quite as large but it is sufficient to block anti-gun legislation or treaties.

I think our major issues will be administrative - for example, the ATF trying to implement multiple sales of long guns as a rule change rather than going through Congress, or having Andrew Travers appointed as a recess appointment.

And of course, the other major area is judicial. There are a ton of battles happening here and unfortunately our varsity team can only be in so many places at once. We've already had some good, promising cases shot down by bad legal work. However, I think the good news will still outnumber the bad on this front.

All in all, I expect 2011 to continue the steady trend of pro-RKBA victories. As someone who first joined the NRA during the Brady law debate, it is encouraging to see how much progress has been made.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
with a Democrat controlled White House there is little chance for major pro gun laws as well.
Actually, we got carry in national parks. However, Peet is correct, the next couple of years will likely see the battle fought (and won, to some extent) in the courts.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

At the Federal level, I agree with others. We won't see much, if any changes.
State and local can be anything, especially in California and Massachusetts.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Concealed carry in Wisconsin? I'll believe it when I see it, but I'll keep hoping.
Old January 1, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

Nothing federal.

What's interesting to me is the stuation in TX. I just got my TSRA magazine and their legislative update is fascinating.

Two major issues in the state are the parking lot law which would forbid employers from taking action against you if you have a gun in the car and campus carry.

There has been strong legislative support but the bills never made it to a vote due to legislative trickery. But what was the cause (Note, I'm not advocating a political position)?

It seems that business and industrial interests quashed the bills last time. Alice Tripp points out that now there is a strong GOP and seemingly conservative legislature. So if these bills don't make it, there will be no excuses about evil liberals!

It will be that venial economic corruption will cause supposedly progun legislators to block the laws again. It points out that money talks over ideology. So power structures talk the talk of ideology but are shams. They go for the money and hoodwink the masses to think they care.

We will see!
Old January 1, 2011, 08:42 PM   #9
mes227

Getting carry in National Parks was a pretty big win especially with both houses controlled by Democrats, so perhaps we should cut the demos a little slack. Well, not the ones in California, of course! Even their Republican governor signed the pointless new ammo sales law!
Old January 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Getting carry in National Parks was a pretty big win especially with both houses controlled by Democrats, so perhaps we should cut the demos a little slack.
We can (and have) lead ourselves down the wrong path if we align our cause with one party at the exclusion of the other. There are some very pro-gun Democrats, and some very anti-gun Republicans.

Quote:
Concealed carry in Wisconsin? I'll believe it when I see it, but I'll keep hoping.
The Schultz case set up some interesting caselaw on the subject in October, and it looks like the new governor will sign a bill when it crosses his desk.