The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 28, 2010, 04:07 AM   #26
mes227

What Big Caliber says is what I was taught in my CCW class. In addition, I was told that the ammo must be in a separate container from the locked one with the gun(s). (Why locking the ammo with the gun is a crime boggles my mind).

BTW, it is a felony in California to not do this properly, so do it right and don't cut corners. LOCK the box that the gun is in and store the ammo SEPARATELY. In addition, I'd recommend storing the locked gun box (assuming it looks like one) out of sight so that LE does not have probably cause to perform a search. Which means it will be highly unlikely you have to even deal with the issue.
Old December 28, 2010, 07:58 AM   #27
roy reali

another tip

Stay out in the sun and get a nice tan. If you have light-colored hair darken it. Learn to speak Spanish with a heavy accent. If you are pulled over then you won't be hasseled. Just don't act American, it rubs california politicians the wrong way.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:31 PM   #28
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes227
What Big Caliber says is what I was taught in my CCW class. In addition, I was told that the ammo must be in a separate container from the locked one with the gun(s). (Why locking the ammo with the gun is a crime boggles my mind).

BTW, it is a felony in California to not do this properly, so do it right and don't cut corners. LOCK the box that the gun is in and store the ammo SEPARATELY. In addition, I'd recommend storing the locked gun box (assuming it looks like one) out of sight so that LE does not have probably cause to perform a search. Which means it will be highly unlikely you have to even deal with the issue.
What you were taught is pure unadluterated BS. There wasn't one thing in his post that was true other than the firearm must be unloaded. A locked container is recommended but not required as long as the handgun is not concealed and you stay away from school zones (not very practical).
Old December 29, 2010, 05:37 AM   #29
RickD427

Posted by Markle: (Post 19)
Look as hard as you like - you will not be able to find a law prohibiting the transportation of an unloaded and unconcealed firearm in a vehicle in california. Penal code Section 12025 only applies to concealed firearms. Penal Section 12031 only applies to loaded firearms. If it is not concealed and is unloaded, it does not need to be in a locked container.

Marke,

I beg to differ. California Penal Code defines two types of "concealed". There is both concealed "on a person" (12025(a)(1) PC) and concealed "in a vehicle" (12025(a)(2) PC). Unless you're driving a vehicle made out of clear pexiglass, or you've got the weapon in a window rack, any weapon carried in the vehicle is probably going to be concealed from outside view, and that's a violation.

Penal Code Sections 12026.1 and 12026.2 provide exceptions that allow weapons to be carried concealed within a vehicle for a number of innocent purposes (like going to a range). Both require that the wepon be in a "locked container" for the exception to apply.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:04 PM   #30
700cdl

It's referred to as peacable travel and has some guidlines. It must be unloaded and in a locked container out of the reach of the driver. The ammunition must also be in another locked container and as well out of the reach of the driver. Additionaly, it is only legal if you are traveling and not intending to reside in the state or already a resident, other wise it is subject to any and all other laws concerning firearms in that state. However, the lawyer I learned this from also stated that if the wrong cop learns of the weapon, you might have a legal battle to encounter.