The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 24, 2016, 08:01 PM   #1
1940izhevsk

Opinions on DPMS Oracle

So Cabela's has a sale on aforementioned rifle for $529. I did some looking into it, see what people have thought, and come to the conclusion that it's a decent rifle. It is a bare-bones AR, no sights, but that leaves room for option. I'll have to get Hexmags for it, since CO has that dumb 15 round mag cap law.

Anyway, what are some of your opinions on the Oracle?
Old August 24, 2016, 09:49 PM   #2
purple_yota27565

Personally I have no problem with dpms. I would buy with confidence. Your mileage may vary tho
Old August 24, 2016, 11:19 PM   #3
DMY

I also looked at that same rifle recently. The only comment I have, because I am not an expert, is that the front rail is slightly lower than the main upper receiver rail. I vaguely recall that someone makes a front post which attaches to the picitanny if you plan to use open sights. If you plan to use optics, then it doesn't matter.
Old August 25, 2016, 01:12 AM   #4
Nacho Man

I had a Lite 16 carbine for awhile shot 1200rds, basically the same as the Oracle but with a A2 front sight. No problems except when using tula steel case sometimes shells would stick in the chamber, but a cleaning rod would pop the em out. With that barrel, it was pretty accurate with win 45gr hp. I really liked the light contour barrel but it would heat up really fast. I later sold the upper and went with a bcm when they had their upper sale a few yrs ago. I kept the lower though and still using it.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:27 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

They're decent rifles.

My father was in the market for another "utility" AR last year, and I recommended the Oracle.

The only problem he had was finding an affordable iron sight set up that worked with the front gas block (he wanted to keep it dirt cheap).
Eventually, he settled on a red dot, rather than irons.

(And the red dot immediately got transferred to his SP-1 and a scope slapped on the Oracle ... but that's another story that has little to do with the Oracle's performance.)
Old August 25, 2016, 02:42 AM   #6
Old Bill Dibble

Economy shooter. There are better and cheaper out there.
Old August 25, 2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Ibmikey

Dpms makes a good serviceable rifle in the Oracle...i have used Oracle top ends to build rifles for friends and they just keep on chugging without incident. There are more expensive rifles and even cheaper but the Oracle is a good long lasting dollar investment.

Last edited by Ibmikey; August 25, 2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old August 25, 2016, 09:42 AM   #8
g.willikers

For what little it's worth:
My only experience with one was at the local range when a generous fellow let me shoot his.
It was just fine.
He said he has had it for three years and it's not done anything wrong.
It seems like a good choice from a major manufacturer for the price.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:33 PM   #9
stagpanther

I had a sportical--same thing but smooth-sided--and it cost me $475 new and shot very well and very reliably for 5 years before I parted it out. Being a simple chrome molly unlined bore I wouldn't dump as many mags as fast as I could through it--but other than that a great value IMHO.

Tags
ar-15 , dpms , dpms oracle , oracle