The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1
RedneckEngineer

12ga to 20ga Conversion

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a shotgun, she can handle a high brass 12ga shell without much problem, though she really doesn't like to, so I'm pretty much looking to switch a Mossberg 500 12ga over to firing 20ga shells. I don't care how difficult it would be to do it, I'd be swapping it a few times a week so I'd get plenty of practice and it would be easy enough after a good while. My main concern is if it would actually be cheaper than just buying a second shotgun(even if its fifty bucks, I'll still do it) and what all parts do I need to have? I was thinking just the barrel, tube, tube spring, follower, and possibly an extractor. Anyone have any ideas or have seen this done before?
Old November 15, 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
ripnbst

Switching between the two is incredibly easy. I do it all the time. It's as simple as putting down the 12 ga shotgun and picking up the 20 ga shotgun.

Now to get serious, it's not that easy. If it were other people would be doing it. I'd buy a complete second gun.
Old November 15, 2015, 10:23 PM   #3
FITASC

You aren't going to swap barrels like going from a Glock 40 to 357 Sig

High brass means nothing

Why are you picking out HER shotgun?

Quote:
(even if its fifty bucks, I'll still do it)
Seriously, dude?

Take her to a REAL gunstore, not walmart, and let her pick out something SHE likes, get it fitted to her, and you'll have a shooting buddy for life. Forcing your ideas on her when it comes to this means she most likely will not be your shooting buddy for long.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2015, 11:02 PM   #4
hartcreek

If you just want her to practice pick up a Lee Load All and load her up some less robust shotgun loads. I used to do that for the nephew.....by the time he was twelve he could handle full power loads in his 12 gage. She just needs to shoot some more and the reduced charge will allow her to do that and gain some confidence and get used to the recoil.

Once she has shot more and plans to continue then take her down to your favorite LGS so she can pick one out. If she picks a 16 or 20 gage you will know she can handle it because she gained experience using yours.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:29 AM   #5
SARuger

You just need low brass loads.
Old November 16, 2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Goatwhiskers

Redneck, the short version is: no you can't convert a 12 to 20 unless you buy an insert liner which is expensive. At the price of used Mossbergs, check around and buy her a decent Mossy in 20ga, it'll be hers and you'll score points. 2nd point, fellas the terms "high brass" and "low brass" mean exactly nothing with today's ammo. There was a time when high brass indicated a heavy load, today you see heavy field loads in shells with very short metal, there is even all plastic ammo. You have to read on the box lid what load is in the shell. GW
Old November 16, 2015, 08:43 AM   #7
MarkCO

An insert is possible. http://www.gaugemate.com/component/h...gun-to-shotgun

You be better off just buying the reduced recoil loads. Winchester has made them for years and they are softer than 20g. Fiocchi, Remington and Federal now make them too, and at less cost. The Aguila mini-shells are even softer, but you may have some feed bobbles in the 500. Once you learn to run them, they can be totally reliable.
Old November 16, 2015, 11:36 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

To convert from a pump 12 to a 20 (and have a functional repeater), you would need to replace at a minimum, the barrel, extractor, and cartridge stops.

You might need to replace the BOLT, and possibly the lifter/carrier, mag follower, and maybe some other parts, depending on the specific gun design, AND, then you will probably need to tweak them to get to work reliably.

ALSO, when you get done, you still have a 12ga framed gun, which does not have any of the advantages of the lighter 20ga frame gun.

If all you are trying to do is let the GF shoot something with reduced recoil, either use different, lower recoiling 12ga ammo or get her own 20ga gun.
Old November 16, 2015, 12:13 PM   #9
raysmithson1

i love my Stoeger

Buy a new Stoeger, combo, twelve and twenty tubes, you get all the bells and whistles for around eight hundred dollars , ported, palm swell , adj comb, and chokes with wrench I love my Stoeger.
Old November 16, 2015, 12:55 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...switch a Mossberg 500 12ga over to firing 20ga shells..." You can't. Receiver isn't the same. You can buy a 20 gauge M500 though.
As mentioned, you really should be taking her shopping. The shotgun has to fit her, not you.
Old November 16, 2015, 03:08 PM   #11
g.willikers

Just buy some low recoil ammo for the 12 gauge.
It's 20 gauge equivalent.
Every ammo maker has some version.
My favorite:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-15499
Old November 16, 2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Blindstitch

For $200 you can buy a mossberg maverick new and you're done. Or you can buy low recoil shells.
Old November 16, 2015, 05:31 PM   #13
FITASC

Cabela's sells their Herter's brand 12 LR ammo which is 1oz 7.5 at 1060 fps. It is VERY soft
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 16, 2015, 11:59 PM   #14
RedneckEngineer

Quote:
You aren't going to swap barrels like going from a Glock 40 to 357 Sig

Why are you picking out HER shotgun?
First off, FITASC. I know it's not just a barrel swap, I stated that in the original post.

Also, I'm picking out her shotgun for two reasons.
1. Because she asked me to.
2. Because I already own a 590A1 that she likes to shoot so I was trying to figure out if I could just just convert mine to 20ga when she wanted to shoot it or if I should just say to heck with it and buy her her own.

Try asking a question before you run your mouth.

Quote:
To convert from a pump 12 to a 20 (and have a functional repeater), you would need to replace at a minimum, the barrel, extractor, and cartridge stops.

You might need to replace the BOLT, and possibly the lifter/carrier, mag follower, and maybe some other parts, depending on the specific gun design, AND, then you will probably need to tweak them to get to work reliably.

ALSO, when you get done, you still have a 12ga framed gun, which does not have any of the advantages of the lighter 20ga frame gun.

If all you are trying to do is let the GF shoot something with reduced recoil, either use different, lower recoiling 12ga ammo or get her own 20ga gun.
44 AMP. Thank you for the serious answer. I figured it was a long shot, I was basically just hoping I was wrong.
Old November 17, 2015, 12:24 AM   #15
dnsharpshooter

you're contradicting what you're saying. first you said she doesn't like shooting 12 gauge, now you're saying she likes your 590. so whats the problem?
Old November 17, 2015, 08:07 AM   #16
cc-hangfire

Hi RedneckEngineer! & Welcome to the forum (since you have only a few posts).

TFL has plenty of highly experienced members, and plenty of members who'll let you know what they think. As you've already realized, you just need to separate the wheat from the chafe. And keep a thick skin.

Regarding your OP, as noted above it's not a simple swap out and having another shotgun in 20ga is likely going to be as economical as the swap.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:20 AM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
You came here asking fir help and advice. You won't always like what you hear, but since you're the expert, you do what you think is best.
Have a nice day
Old November 17, 2015, 06:34 PM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
??? For being new to the board you sure have a smart mouth. FITASC was trying to help you.
Old November 17, 2015, 07:26 PM   #19
darkgael

Hmmm

"Try asking a question before.... yada yada..."

Actually, he did ask a question.... and you quoted it and answered it.
Pete