The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 22, 2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Fusion

Millet Angle Loc Rings

I got a set of these with a scope I purchased. They seem like a horrible idea and it seems like it would be incredibly difficult to get them perfectly aligned. The only thing I can think of is to tighten one side of the ring all the way before sticking it on the base and then tighten the other side as needed. Is that the best way to do this? For those who have used these what did you think?

Now my real question. One of the screws that tighten the ring to the base has a stripped head. I called Bushnell expecting them to send me a replacement as Burris has done so in the past as have a couple of other companies. Instead, Bushnell wants to charge me $3 for the screw and $2 for shipping. She told me it would be a total of $5. I realize these rings are $20-25 new, but honestly is it worth dumping $5 into them to keep as spares or should I just toss them in the trash? I normally keep a set of Burris rings on hand for spares, but I used that set mounting this scope, so I'd like to have a spare set of rings on hand, but I'm not sure that I want these.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Metal god

I have a couple pairs of those . They're OK but would not use them on heavy recoiling rifle . One set is on my model 60 .22 the other is a extra high set for a AR . There are screws on both sides so you can adjust for windage with the rings when bore sighting . It works but IMO not really needed . I have almost maxed out my elevation with MOA bases but have never came close to maxing out my windage when sighting in a scope . As for the screws Home Depot , Lowe's , Dixie Line , local hardware store I have even had some luck at a boating supply store . Almost always SS screws there

I'd keep them as spares . They can be used in a pinch and replaced quickly

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 22, 2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Dan Newberry

those things can be hades on scope tubes... I nick-named them "mangle locks" some years back on my forum, as they "mangle" scope tubes.

you're right... a terrible idea that somehow just keeps on selling.

Millett says you align the rings with the scope tube to keep them straight... then my question is "Why have both sides of the ring adjustable then?" This little feature all but ensures that a scope's tube will be bent to some degree when the screws aren't adjusted exactly evenly...
Old March 22, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
blfuller

Quote:
I called Bushnell expecting them to send me a replacement as Burris has done so in the past as have a couple of other companies.
Why would you call Bushnell for a screw on a Millet ring? Take your stripped screw to a local hardware supply like ACE, Do It Best or True Value and they will set you up.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Fusion

Because Bushnell owns Millet, so when you call the phone number on Millet's website, you get Bushnell.

That said I'm going to have to go check the local hardware store. I normally never have any luck finding anything like this there, but I'm going to see if they have anything.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
blfuller

Quote:
Because Bushnell owns Millet, so when you call the phone number on Millet's website, you get Bushnell.
That I did not know. Interesting.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:43 PM   #7
reynolds357

Junk, Junk, Junk. The word Junk might be worth repeating again.